Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2016, 09:11 PM   #1

Inverter addition

Has any one added an inverter. Any one install solar panels?
Any place to store a second battery for use in dry camping. Trying to run tv with out running generator.
Garry
gfisher100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:44 PM   #2

Garry,

I haven't done Solar - but if you use the search function on the site (it's a little hard to find - it's on the first yellow line of commands near the right) you'll find a ton of stuff on solar. Search for terms like "inverter" and "Solar".

There is also a "Group" on the Forum for discussing Solar:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/groups/44-rving+with+solar.html

As to where to store that 2nd battery - you need to tell folks what model Jayco you have? Your signature is a great place to put that info - but know that many of us use a cell phone app that doesn't show the signature so it's also good to mention it in the body of a post like this.
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:13 PM   #3

I'll just echo what BuddyRay said.. and add -
That's kind of like walking into a doctors office in the middle of detroit and asking if anyone has ever had herpes. You already know the answer to the questions you asked. I'm sure more than a few of us can help you build a system that will allow you to watch TV, off the grid. It isn't rocket science, but more info is needed. A LOT more. Sorry if that came off harsh, just suggesting that you tell us what you have before expecting anyone to advise you on what you may need. 2, 6 volt batteries, properly wired and 200 watts of solar power going into a charge controller to keep your batteries happy + a properly sized inverter for your TV will work for a couple hours a day--- but Kind of boils down to what else is eating your power? how much TV? What kind of TV, how much power does it use? What is your budget to make this happen? It's a ton of basic math, but it's all important.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:14 AM   #4

Garry,
In my last MH, I had a 12 volt TV with a built-in DVD player. Add an extra house battery and run a 12 volt line to an outlet near the TV. Be sure to put an inline fuse in the 12 volt line. Most if not all LED TV's run on 12 volts. They usually have a "brick" to convert 110v to 12v. So with an inverter you are changing 12v to 110v and then back to 12v to run your TV. If all you need the inverter for is a TV then this is a cheaper and easier solution.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 06:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfisher100 View Post
Has any one added an inverter. Any one install solar panels?
Any place to store a second battery for use in dry camping. Trying to run tv with out running generator.
Garry
I have the Jayco Melbourne 24K 2016
gfisher100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
Garry,

I haven't done Solar - but if you use the search function on the site (it's a little hard to find - it's on the first yellow line of commands near the right) you'll find a ton of stuff on solar. Search for terms like "inverter" and "Solar".

As to where to store that 2nd battery - you need to tell folks what model Jayco you have? Your signature is a great place to put that info - but know that many of us use a cell phone app that doesn't show the signature so it's also good to mention it in the body of a post like this.
How do you get that US Map in your signature?
GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 09:56 AM   #7

Nevermind I found it.

Old 10-24-2016, 09:51 PM   #8

check out the website gonewiththewynns.com they did a complete solar install, from inverter to soft start for their a/c and they can run completely off grid as it were with internet and air conditioning with just solar. they also have a youtube channel of the same name.
RangerRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:26 AM   #9

I have a 2016 Melbourne also. The most efficient way to add a battery would to keep them close together. In the Melbourne that would mean taking up storage space, replace the sliding battery tray with one that drops or lowers to the bottom(there is plenty of room there for a larger bank if the existing slide is replaced), or see if there is room under the bed. If under the bed is an option I would go with AGM batteries. Another option would be how large of a lithium battery would fit in the existing tray. Unless you figure out how to get more Ah's I think solar would be a waste of money for what you want to do.
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaRV View Post
Nevermind I found it.
Where did you find it?
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRay View Post
Garry,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
Where did you find it?
Visited States Map by epgSoft