Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-13-2015, 05:42 PM   #1

Inverter issue?

I have a 2012 grey hawk and have no power to the electrical outlets or fridge when traveling without the generator on. The house battery shows full charge. Currently in the middle of a trip from tn to wy. Any help would be much appreciated.
sgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:01 PM   #2

The generator needs to be on the produce the 120volts to your outlets. The fridge will run on propane and 12volts DC when the generator is not on.

Oops. My bad, I misread your post. You said inverter. Is the breaker on to the inverter?
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 06:37 PM   #3

I don't have a Grey Hawk so Im not familiar with there setup. Most units that I've been around only have a couple electrical outlets that would be powered by an inverter. All electrical outlets would be powered by shore power or your generator. I wouldn't think that your inverter would power your fridge anyhow.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 07:03 PM   #4

The only electrical outlet that the inverter powers is the one that the main TV is plugged into.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:39 PM   #5

I pushed all the breakers and they felt like they hadn't kicked. I also hear the fan in the inverter kick on occasionally (not sure if the breaker prevents power from going to or coming from the inverter).

So do you mostly drive with the generator on so the fridge doesn't get warm? You are supposed to turn lp gas off when driving, right?

I will test the outlet for the tv when everyone wakes up in the morning. Thanks for all the replies!
Old 07-14-2015, 04:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgilbert View Post
I pushed all the breakers and they felt like they hadn't kicked. I also hear the fan in the inverter kick on occasionally (not sure if the breaker prevents power from going to or coming from the inverter).

So do you mostly drive with the generator on so the fridge doesn't get warm? You are supposed to turn lp gas off when driving, right?

I will test the outlet for the tv when everyone wakes up in the morning. Thanks for all the replies!
I never turn the propane off except to refuel or go thru a tunnel that mandates it. Running with the propane on has never been a issue.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:46 AM   #7

Not familiar with your unit. Ours unit has an inverter and it ONLY powers the fridge.
We have the residential fridge so we do not have the gas option for traveling.
We used the gas option for years on our other unit and never had an issue.
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:17 AM   #8

I have a similar problem. My inverter worked fine until a couple of weeks ago. It would allow the family to watch TV while driving down the road but it no longer allows this. It works when we are boondocked but will stop working once we start the MH. Is this a trip to the service dept. or something I can fix myself? Thanks in advance for any help.
scottshaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 08:21 AM   #9

I think you are calling your CONVERTER unit the INVERTER. This is usually mounted under the fridge or stove unit. Your trailer probably only has the CONVERTER UNIT and the POWER DISTRIBUTION PANEL where all the 120VAC circuit breakers and the 12VDC fuses are located.

The only time you have 120VAC is either plugging in at the camp ground pedestal or run your generator.

INVERTERS are optional and folks like to add them to run their home entertainment center when camping off the power grids. The Inverter is connected to your battery setup.

Give us model number of your "INVERTER" if that is what you really are talking about.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #10

Also have a 2012 Greyhawk. As stated above, the inverter only provides 120 to the outlet behind the TV. Unless you have disabled the relay, the outlet will lose power as soon as you start the engine to your Greyhawk. It's a safety feature so the driver isn't watching TV going down the road. It can be disabled, and there are a number of threads on this forum that discuss how. As far as your other outlets, the generator needs to be running for those to be energized. The fridge can run off of 12volt and propane, so the generator does not need to be on to keep things cool. I always leave the propane on. Never had an issue.
bgermane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:17 AM   #11

Even if you don't want to drive with your propane on, most likely your fridge will remain cold for several hours of traveling. If the temps outside are very high, you will want to either run your propane or run your generator to keep the fridge cold. I always use the propane.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgermane View Post
Also have a 2012 Greyhawk. As stated above, the inverter only provides 120 to the outlet behind the TV. Unless you have disabled the relay, the outlet will lose power as soon as you start the engine to your Greyhawk. It's a safety feature so the driver isn't watching TV going down the road. It can be disabled, and there are a number of threads on this forum that discuss how. As far as your other outlets, the generator needs to be running for those to be energized. The fridge can run off of 12volt and propane, so the generator does not need to be on to keep things cool. I always leave the propane on. Never had an issue.
My fridge doesn't run off house battery. I think that might be due to an inverter issue.

Is there an additional fire hazard driving with propane on (in the event of a car accident)?

The inverter model is xantrex 1000. Sorry for the delayed responses. AT&T is terrible in this area of the country.

Again, thanks for the responses!
Old 07-15-2015, 06:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgilbert View Post
My fridge doesn't run off house battery. I think that might be due to an inverter issue.

Is there an additional fire hazard driving with propane on (in the event of a car accident)?
The inverter has nothing to do with the fridge. Your inverter is fine it only operates the TV. The fridge needs either shore power or LP to operate and both require 12 volt for the control circuit.

I've been towing/driving the MH since 1977 with the fridge on propane with no issues and then back on shore power when we park.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:16 AM   #14

As Grumpy said, the fridge needs either shore power and 12v, or propane and 12v. Does the control panel light up or the light inside the fridge come on?
Old 07-17-2015, 09:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgermane View Post
As Grumpy said, the fridge needs either shore power and 12v, or propane and 12v. Does the control panel light up or the light inside the fridge come on?
Control panel on fridge is lit up. Not sure about the light in the fridge (it's late and I'm on shore power right now). Will look into that tomorrow. I know for sure now that the outlet behind the main tv doesn't work without shore power or generator though, which is not the case with bgermane's 2012 greyhawk.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:21 PM   #16

Sgilbert, check you pm.
Old 07-18-2015, 10:58 AM   #17

After a night of heavy drinking and little sleep, the Jayco design team set it up so that there is ONLY ONE outlet powered by the 1,000 watt inverter in the entire coach. They also made sure that you can't use it to power a crock-pot, coffee maker, laptop charger, etc., while the engine on. Clever!

Fortunately, that was an easy fix. Clip a wire, make the outlet a 4-way, plug in an extension cord, and by golly we're running the crock-pot while on the road!

We leave the fridge in "Auto" mode all the time, so we don't have to worry about. It only gets turned off while fueling, or going through propane restricted areas.

Happy and Safe camping!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 11:43 AM   #18
Site Team

Do you know the output of the inverter that you can use?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 01:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
After a night of heavy drinking and little sleep, the Jayco design team set it up so that there is ONLY ONE outlet powered by the 1,000 watt inverter in the entire coach.
Happy and Safe camping!
Specs call for a 400 watt inverter? The 1,000 watt requires two "house" batteries to operate efficiently and I think the Greyhawk only has 1 for the "house".
Old 07-18-2015, 05:09 PM   #20

Hiya Grumpy... I asked about that at the factory, and they told me that all the Jayco Class C's have the same 1,000 watt inverter. In the units with one battery, they call it a 400 watt, but it's still the same 1,000 watt inverter. Interesting logic... lol
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote