Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-24-2017, 04:01 PM   #1

It looks like Jayco 29MV over the SS 3010DS

We spent a couple of hours last week at the RVOne Store in Albany comparing the 2018 29MV to the 2018 Sunseeker 3010DS. We have been going back and forth for at least 6 months trying to decide which was the better unit for us, but this was the first time we could see the two side-by-side (with my spreadsheets, measurements, and pictures). And that made the decision much easier for us. One of the biggest factors was the actual size of the shower, and the 29MV was about a square foot larger. It doesn't seem like much on paper, but you can really tell the difference when standing in each.

One item on the 29MV that concerns me a tad, is the placement of the sewer discharge. It seems too close to the ground, which due to the sewer placement in some campgrounds, could almost cause a negative slope for the hose. Have any of you noticed this and found it to be a problem?

Also, did your 2018 come with a spare tire? The 3010DS does but the 29MV we looked at didn't have one. The salesman thought it did, but I can't see where it would attach. And there was nothing about it on his paperwork.

I also found out that the 29MV's with the extra cost paint come with slide toppers, but if you opt for the standard paint, which is what we are doing, you have to add the toppers at $599 each. Well, $1,200 for toppers is a lot better than a $10,000 paint job.

We are not new to camping (300 nights in our 24' Kodiak TT in the past 4 years), but before we place the order, is there anything that any of you can think of that we should know before we sign on the dotted line? It's a 10-12 week build time so we could be looking at mid-October. Thank you!!
Love To Travel 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 05:05 PM   #2

Go for it!! I love mine. As far as the sewer hook up to low , haven't had any problems driving or in a campground. Only other thing I can think of is water heater. Not sure if 2018 still has on demand or standard 6 gal. gas/elect. In my 2016 i have the on demand an I like it alot. Had to learn how to use it but once you figure it out it really is nice. Some don't like it so much , so the had them swapped out for 6 gal gas/elect. Lots of info. about that on here. Over all very happy with ours, its really a nice rig.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:25 PM   #3

Thank you! The 2018's have returned to the gas/electric water heater. From what I have read in this forum, the majority of owners didn't like the on-demand type, so Jayco made the change.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:41 PM   #4

The low sewer drain is one of my complaints on my 2017 31 XL. It's manageable, but I wish it was a little bit higher to give a better grade to the sewer connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stevemcsweeney7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:24 PM   #5

I haven't had a problem with the sewer connection in my 2016 29MV.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:15 PM   #6

hello, Our 29MV 2017 had a very low sewer drain. Had a local dealership switch the drains and pulls and now it sits higher and less chance of drag. I added a spare tire on the rear bumper and put a cover on it. looks real good and hopefully saves us one trip. I did buy 20k low profile bottle jack with a power impact to change tire if needed . I had to put 2nd lock on the kitchen pull under counter space saver top . no problems with my hot water heater after field modification. Good unit for the family vacations. Ted. Littleton
Tgroves526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:45 PM   #7

Just drove my 2017 29MV back to Ohio from RVONE in Orlando. So far so good. No problem with sewer. I have never like the steer on Ford truck seems like to much play compared to Silverado. We love the layout of the 29MV. We were also considering the 3010. The suspension upgrade and 2 year warranty won.
Happy Camping
temalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:38 PM   #8

Bought my 29MV last November, drove it to Phoenix for the winter, returned to MT in May. Jaycee decision based on research at the 2016 Spokane RV show and online reviews.

Pros:
1. Floor plan - usable even with the slide outs not out, good for brief overnight stays.
2. Good overall quality for a class C. Quality cabinetry, comfortable dining area, usable
space, lots of storage both inside and out. Decent space in the shower.
3. Great refrigerator. Food stays cold even when on the road and not running. The
freezer works great.
4. Handles reasonably well on the road towing a car on a dolly in normal weather, but
harsh crosswinds cause white knuckles and some religious reflections.
5. Windows work well, even in the rain.
6. A/C and propane heater work well, especially with the bedroom and cockpit zoned off
with drapes and curtains (just me and my dog). Multiple passengers and hot humid
climates would warrant a 2nd A/C.
Cons:
1. Mattress soon forms it's own shapes with various valleys and lumps.
2. Pull down shades are not user friendly - same design as my grandmother's house
from the 1930's. Patience and finger finesse to get them where you want.
3. The owner's manual is so generic it's pathetic and almost useless. Why can't a
company with Jayco's resources put the manuals online covering the actual details
of each individual model they produce?
4. The toilet. I am not a large person and it is still too small. Hard to imagine a big
person trying to use it.
5. The GPS/camera screen can only be seen if looking straight on. Invisible from the
driver's angle unless he/she leans so far over as to be at risk. This screen could have
been designed to tilt left or right for visibility. Possible liability issue here.
6. The rat hole for the power cord. Better to have a small slide panel in the door for
less easier access of critters.
7. No spare tire. I'm going to put one on my new car hauler that I'm having built.

Experiences so far:
Everything still works. No Leaks. No problems with the black and gray dumps. Can't run the microwave and my toaster oven at the same time. Power awning is fragile and can be damaged by high winds or heavy rain, but the convenience of extending it with a button is worth the risk, just watch the weather. No problems with the slide outs. Careful not to over extend the hydraulic levelers. The yellow support pads from Walmart work well in harmony with these levelers. The main entry door is assisted by a gas shock that will cause the door to slam hard into the awning supports - rope handles with hand friendly bungees help prevent this, especially in the wind. On demand hot water heater worked great until it failed in January. Thanks to this forum I learned to whack the two solenoids with a screwdriver handle and it has been working ever since. Jayco has a recall on these solenoids and their new models have gone back to a tank heater. I really like the instant on demand, and as they say, 'if it ain't broke...'. Not sure about the RV park culture (I'm new at this). Everyone is super friendly, but then they're gone. Like Dorothy said in the movie...'people come and go so quickly around here'.
leeinmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 07:23 AM   #9

Would like to here more about the second lock and the water heater mod?
Thanks
temalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:57 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgroves526 View Post
hello, Our 29MV 2017 had a very low sewer drain. Had a local dealership switch the drains and pulls and now it sits higher and less chance of drag. I added a spare tire on the rear bumper and put a cover on it. looks real good and hopefully saves us one trip. I did buy 20k low profile bottle jack with a power impact to change tire if needed . I had to put 2nd lock on the kitchen pull under counter space saver top . no problems with my hot water heater after field modification. Good unit for the family vacations. Ted. Littleton
Thank you! If some day you have a couple of minutes, could you take a couple of pictures of the new drain configuration and the spare tire and mount. It would be greatly appreciated! Ed
Old 08-01-2017, 07:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeinmt View Post
Bought my 29MV last November, drove it to Phoenix for the winter, returned to MT in May. Jaycee decision based on research at the 2016 Spokane RV show and online reviews.

Pros:
1. Floor plan - usable even with the slide outs not out, good for brief overnight stays.
2. Good overall quality for a class C. Quality cabinetry, comfortable dining area, usable
3. Great refrigerator. Food stays cold even when on the road and not running. The
freezer works great.
4. Handles reasonably well on the road towing a car on a dolly in normal weather, but
6. A/C and propane heater work well, especially with the bedroom and cockpit zoned off
with drapes and curtains (just me and my dog). Multiple passengers and hot humid
Cons:
2. Pull down shades are not user friendly - same design as my grandmother's house
3. The owner's manual is so generic it's pathetic and almost useless. Why can't a
company with Jayco's resources put the manuals online covering the actual details
4. The toilet. I am not a large person and it is still too small. Hard to imagine a big
person trying to use it.
5. The GPS/camera screen can only be seen if looking straight on. Invisible from the
driver's angle unless he/she leans so far over as to be at risk. This screen could have
been designed to tilt left or right for visibility. Possible liability issue here.
6. The rat hole for the power cord. Better to have a small slide panel in the door for
7. No spare tire. I'm going to put one on my new car hauler that I'm having built.

Experiences so far:
Everything still works. No Leaks. No problems with the black and gray dumps. Can't run the microwave and my toaster oven at the same time. Power awning is fragile and can be damaged by high winds or heavy rain, but the convenience of extending it with a button is worth the risk, just watch the weather. No problems with the slide outs. Careful not to over extend the hydraulic levelers. The yellow support pads from Walmart work well in harmony with these levelers. The main entry door is assisted by a gas shock that will cause the door to slam hard into the awning supports - rope handles with hand friendly bungees help prevent this, especially in the wind. On demand hot water heater worked great until it failed in January. Thanks to this forum I learned to whack the two solenoids with a screwdriver handle and it has been working ever since. Jayco has a recall on these solenoids and their new models have gone back to a tank heater. I really like the instant on demand, and as they say, 'if it ain't broke...'. Not sure about the RV park culture (I'm new at this). Everyone is super friendly, but then they're gone. Like Dorothy said in the movie...'people come and go so quickly around here'.
Thank you for the pros, cons, and advise. There have been some changes between the 2017 and 2018, so ours will not have the tankless hot water heater. But I will keep all of your other suggestions handy when we get the rig. Ed
Old 08-01-2017, 07:38 PM   #12

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum. Congratulations on your choice of the Jayco 2018 29MV. Enjoy it!
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 07:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeinmt View Post

Pros:
freezer works great.
Cons:
person trying to use it.

Experiences so far:
Thanks so much! We take delivery of our 2018 on Saturday and this info is very helpful.
Save

Save
CA-Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:46 AM   #14

I fixed that rat hole power cord issue. 2 inch hole saw at bottom of door. took about 5 bucks at Home Depot . plastic unbreakable almond 2 gang plate and a 2inch almond grommet .
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0034.jpg   IMG_0035.jpg  
Tgroves526 is offline   Reply With Quote