Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #1

JAYCO Class C Comments

My other post mentioned the 2012 Greyhawk 31DS the wifie and I plan to purchase. As we are very cautious folks when it comes to spending $70-80K on anything we really do some research on the item. I guess the only thing remaining is a test drive when the local dealer gets some in and a general question to all on what do you thing of the Greyhawks specially the 31DS model. I understand there will be inital problems but any info would be appreciated.

Mucho thanks
Wildkats66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the Jayco forums.

Smart move to test drive the model of RV you are considering for future purchase to see if the size and road handling meets your expectations. During a test drive don't just go around the block, get on the freeway because in most cases this will represent the majority of one's drive time. If you plan to tow anything behind the "C", keep this in mind during the test drive.

If by chance the unit you test drive off the dealers lot is the one you want to purchase (rather then order one), do not accept the RV just based on the test drive. You will want to perform a detailed PDI, and generate a "punch list" of any items that need to be addressed (repair completed) before pulling your checkbook out.

If you know someone that is familiar with MH's, it may be good to have them with you when you preform your PDI. The fact that the RV has a drivetrain will require special attention during the PDI as well.

I'm sure someone will chime in and address anything specific to the Greyhawk model you are considering.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:57 AM   #3

My wife & I purchased our 31DS in October 2011. Our first experience with coach was the return trip was home from Phoenix, AZ(where purchased) to NC. It was an excellent get "familiar and acclimated" trip. Our travel and drive experience with the unit was very pleasant and yielded no real surprises. As suggested the test drive is a definite must. Be sure to examine closely and have dealer repair any needed adjustments BEFORE you take delivery. Also, expect to find and look for any warranty issues after purchase. On our return trip we kept a punch list and added to it the issues(very minor stuff) we found. Once we arrived at home, we carried the coach and punch list to the closest Jayco dealer. They checked off our punch list and made the corrections.

We just returned from a trip to Charleston, SC where we towed our jeep. We didn't have any items added to our coach punch list. The "Cave" as we have named it, performed wonderfully. We could barely notice the toad.

I must say, I don't like the magadyne dvd, cd, radio, rear camera, nav combo unit. My main beef is that you can't use the rear camera to keep an eye on the toad and simultaneously enjoy some tunes. I wish there was a split screen or something. The options for us are to add another LCD screen for the camera or buy a combo unit that will meet our needs. We are currently in research phase.

Congratulations (albeit a tad premature) on your Greyhawk. It is proving to be a perfect fit for us. Can't wait for the next excursion!

Best of luck,
Kettrell & Sharon
Old 01-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #4

Well mine is not the DS (DW still thinks we made a mistake), we are extremely satisfied with the MH, Dealer, and Service. We are on year #2 so this summer (in storage now) will be the "push everything to the limit" year. We put about 5K miles on last year. MPG pretty close to what I expected (~7), of course we never leave home without either the TOAD or the boat so I always have about 5K lbs on the hitch. Yes we had some issues but they have been addressed/fixed by the Service Dept. Hope your experience is as good as what ours has been so far. Happy Camping
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Gma-n-Gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #5

Before we purchased our 31SS we rented a Class C to get a feel for driving, floor plan and the over all RV camping experience.
We love our Jayco Class C. I might suggest that you have the dealer add slide toppers if they are not standard. I also had our dealer add 3 MaxxAir vents. The rental unit did not have them and I awoke one night during a thunder storm with water hitting me in the face! lol
Just check out everything during the PDI as someone stated above. Good luck shopping!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:58 AM   #6

We used our 31SS dry camping for the first time this past week. Had 2 teenagers with us. Learned very quickly that 39 gallons of fresh water is not very much water with teenagers not used to conserving water.

Overall we are very satisfied with our MH. Handles best when loaded and with full tank of gas and full tank of water. A little less stable with light loads, especially at highway speeds (58 - 62 mph for me), in interstate traffic. Ours handles best with 72 lbs air in front tires and 75 in the rear tires. Get about 8 mpg.
Jay Flight 26BH - traded for Greyhawk
MichaelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #7

I just added Road Master steering stabilizer to my Greyhawk 31FK. Leaving tomorrow for a campout. Will see if it makes a difference in handling. Hope so.
Hairy1 is offline   Reply With Quote