Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #1

Jayco gas grill

We have a 2012 Greyhawk 31DS which came with a gas grill and a bracket to attach it to the side of the motor home near the propane hookup. Just wondering if anyone has used this bracket and if causes any discoloration on the side of the motor home. I was thinking of getting an extension hose so that I could place the grill on a picnic table, however the extensions hoses are relatively expensive. If there is no problem using the bracket, I would just as soon use that.

Jim
Pocono1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #2

Jayco gas grill

I have the RVQ grill which attaches to the side of our 25rks and the side of the trailer doesn't get warm. I don't think it would be a problem.

Dennis
wayfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:10 AM   #3

The grill that came with ours is ok, but it is not great. I did notice some heat transfer to the side wall. It was also up under the awning which I did not like. Over time, it would cause damage to the RV sidewall and awning. I would rather carry a different grill and set up on a table away from the RV. We bought a Weber Q200. It's big enough to cook for a good sized group, and after I un-pin the lid, i can store it in the side storage compartment in two pieces.
I am using the Green propane bottles, but have read that some are running it from the RV propane connection for the grill you speak of.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:34 AM   #4

I use mine and have for 3 years with no problems to the side of my 5'er. I don't use it every day, but I do use it.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono1 View Post
We have a 2012 Greyhawk 31DS which came with a gas grill and a bracket to attach it to the side of the motor home near the propane hookup. Just wondering if anyone has used this bracket and if causes any discoloration on the side of the motor home. I was thinking of getting an extension hose so that I could place the grill on a picnic table, however the extensions hoses are relatively expensive. If there is no problem using the bracket, I would just as soon use that.

Jim
A propane hose and the fittings needed to adapt it to a QC are going to run you around $25 max. Relative to the cost of your rig, what do you consider expensive?
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Bob Landry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #6

I retrofitted my Weber BBQ with the correct quick disconnect fitting and a 12' hose. I do not use the trailer mount any longer. No issue with discoloration, just the spot the bracket was in. It was very inconvenient. I think you would prefer a freestanding grill and not depend on the location of the bracket.

2016 Ford F-350 Lariat Screw 6.7 Stroker
Wolverine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:19 AM   #7

Thanks for the responses. When I was looking at the extension hose and fittings at CW the price was around $75. I've heard that the grill is not great but if the fittings will work with another model then the extension would be a a good investment especially at $25.

Jim
Pocono1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #8

I bought a 12 foot extension hose and canabilized the fitting from the grill to connect our campfire in a can to the quick connect on the coach. It was costly, roughly 1/1000th the cost of the coach but costly none the less. They get you on it being the "proper" hose. no doubt you could rig up a hose much cheaper. I still have not found a source for the RV quick disconnect. It is a different one than used on homes.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
Site Team

I bought the fitting at my dealer for less than $15.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Arvee View Post
I bought a 12 foot extension hose and canabilized the fitting from the grill to connect our campfire in a can to the quick connect on the coach. It was costly, roughly 1/1000th the cost of the coach but costly none the less. They get you on it being the "proper" hose. no doubt you could rig up a hose much cheaper. I still have not found a source for the RV quick disconnect. It is a different one than used on homes.
Two brands of quick connects that come to mind are Hansen and Fairview. They can be found all over the Internet. Hanson has both high and low pressure fittings so if you use that brand, be sure you match the male/female correctly. Stick with the low pressure connectors if you go with the Hansen fittings. They will be compatible with just about anything you use. I have both Hansen and Fairview connectors on my grill stove, and hose. Stay away from Mr Heater. Their components are not compatible with anything but Mr Heater.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 07-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #11

Jim. Found the mount and grill to be a joke. The bracket hits the compartment door below the bracket.
cinandtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:49 AM   #12

I've used the grill on the side of our unit for the past 6 years and have never had a problem with discoloration or heat damage to the side of the unit or the awning, which mine sits directly under. Most people who have never used this set up with tell you not to use it and quote a number of reasons, but I've never heard of anyone who has used it, that's had any issues. I really doubt that Jacyo would randomly choose to go with this set up, without first investigating to determine if it would cause damage. I've used a variety of bbq set ups over the past 20 years and I'm happy enough with this arrangement, not to change it. I find the extension hoses are more problem than they're worth. Whatever you choose, good luck and bon appetite!!
tnka trk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnka trk View Post
I've used the grill on the side of our unit for the past 6 years and have never had a problem with discoloration or heat damage to the side of the unit or the awning, which mine sits directly under. Most people who have never used this set up with tell you not to use it and quote a number of reasons, but I've never heard of anyone who has used it, that's had any issues. I really doubt that Jacyo would randomly choose to go with this set up, without first investigating to determine if it would cause damage. I've used a variety of bbq set ups over the past 20 years and I'm happy enough with this arrangement, not to change it. I find the extension hoses are more problem than they're worth. Whatever you choose, good luck and bon appetite!!
I never thought of connecting a long hose rather than a short one to be that much of a problem.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 07-21-2013, 07:50 AM   #14

I guess it depends on how long the hose is, but having it snaking through the campsite to the picnic table is a PITA, when using the Jayco supplied set up works perfectly for me and has had no ill effects on the unit. To each their own.
tnka trk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnka trk View Post
I guess it depends on how long the hose is, but having it snaking through the campsite to the picnic table is a PITA, when using the Jayco supplied set up works perfectly for me and has had no ill effects on the unit. To each their own.
That's true and if that works for you, great. I use both a grill and a Camp Chef stove and a 9' hose lets me put either where ever I want them, which is usually close to the rear door. The stove has it's own legs and the grill works well on an $8 folding table from Wally World.
---------------------
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Old 07-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #16
Site Team

I use my Sidekick grill at home. I have been experimenting with adjusting the temp. by cracking the grill top and propping it up about an inch. I put a temp guage on it and am starting to like it now that I figured out how to regulate the heat.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote