Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2017, 09:39 PM   #1

Jayco Greyhawk 31FS question

Prospective first time RV buyer here. After lots of looking online, we finally made it out to look at RVs last weekend and were really impressed with the Greyhawk 31FS floorplan, amenities and construction quality.

The model featured two 11000 BTU AC units which seemed like a stretch for a 30A coach but the sales rep said the 31FS has a 50A connection. Is this true? I cant find anything on the Jayco website other than 30A connections for the Greyhawk line. Can anyone with this model confirm?

We really like the two AC units and 50A would be a big plus if true as it would give us more options to run things if at a site with both 30/50 hookups. We could always just run one AC if on a 30A connection right?

Appreciate any help here.
bayouaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:16 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum and happy RV shopping.

I don't know what is standard, but I believe all Jayco RVs with 2 AC units are 50amp.

Yes, if you are plugged into a 30amp connection with a 30amp adapter you can run just 1 AC.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:43 PM   #3

I have the exact rig you are looking at. It is 30 amp not 50 amp. It doesn't need to be 50 amp because the two air conditioners are 1100 watt each. You can run them both at the same time with plenty of power left over. They are very efficient and the ducted feature works very well. At first I thought that the front air conditioner would only serve the front and the rear the rear. That is not how it works. The front air conditioner supplies all the ducts both front and rear. Add the second air conditioner and it doubles the volume of all ducts. You can run them ductless if you want by sliding the cover controls on the unit at the ceiling and then the unit will deliver cool air locally just like the older air conditioners we're used to. One thing to look for is to open the outside panel on the Gerard tankless heater. Near the bottom left side you will see the gas valves that look like two black plastic caps. If those caps are all black then they are recalled and Jayco will pay for it, but if the black caps have a white circle around the top of them the valves are correct. You can get to most everything with the slides in, except for a couple of kitchen drawers and the bottom drawers in the bedroom. I'm still learning the rig but so far me and the wife really like it. The J ride is just beautiful. Good luck with it.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:38 AM   #4

t18 - Thanks for the response. At only 1100W it sounds like the AC units are pretty efficient. I assume you dont have any issues that require you to shut off a unit to run microwave + TVs, etc? Will look at the cap recall next time as well so thanks for the tip. Realistically we are looking to buy in 6-9 months but trying to lock down the exact make, model and features that we want in case the right deal comes along. Appreciate any other tips or thoughts on the 31FS model.
bayouaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:04 AM   #5

I have a 30X with two A/C's and it is a 30 amp connection. With both A/C's running and a normal amount of lights on I am pulling around 20 amps. The Greyhawk has a power management system and you can specify what the amperage is that you are connected to and it will automatically shed (turn off) the load of your equipment to keep you from throwing the breaker. For example, with both A/C's on and pulling 20 amps, if I turn on my electric hot water heater which draws around 11 amps that would put me over the 30 amp limit and the power management system sheds the hot water heater to keep both A/C's running. You can scroll through the power management display to see if any loads have been shed. If I really need the electric hot water heater then I will shut down one A/C and the power management system will automatically restore power to the water heater. I haven't researched it too far but I think on mine it will shed the electric hot water heater first, then the microwave and so on to keep the amperage under 30A.
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:01 AM   #6

After the 2 year warranty is up and if this stuff starts to fail there could be a steep price point as to what the labor costs will be to make it all work again. This should make for some interesting commentary.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:17 AM   #7

If you have the on demand heater, then you can take that electrical demand out of the equation. If you search my post's, I did a test with the generator on to see how much it would support. It can support the whole rig; both AC's plus microwave etc. The led lights draw very few amps. With the 31FS, you get the two bunks, but you give up some counter space, but you also get seating across from the dinette which is nice when you have guests. I wanted the bunks for their storage capacity. When we take a trip, we throw all our bags etc on the upper bunk, and my daughter sleeps on the lower bunk. This keeps me from having to move the stuff from the overhead bunk where I sleep. It depends on what your priorities are. My rig has the 4 TV's and I would just as soon remove 3 of them. We just use the main TV. One thing to be aware of which probably apply to all the rigs is make sure no pebbles are stuck to your shoes before you get in, because the linoleum scratches easily. I have one minor scratch from that. My wife's favorite feature is the wooden sliding doors. She sleeps on the queen, and with the door shut she can't hear me snore which is a godsend to her.
Oklahoma Dan I hear you brother. Some of the things that look like progress I question as well.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote