Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2017, 08:17 AM   #1

Jayco Redhawk 29MK Overflow tubes

Hi there,

First time out this upcoming weekend in the new Jayco and I'm reading like crazy on the unit, but have a couple of newbie questions

1) We will be on city water (city fixtures) on our first trip. Is there any reason to put water in the tank from home?

2) I've been reading about the overflow tubes on the fresh water tank and possibly closing them with a valve before travel to prevent losing water. I found THREE tubes on mine. Is one a drain for the fresh water tank? Or is it a vent? , I'm assume the other are the overflow tubes, and this may be a dumb question, but why are there two overfill tubes and not one?

3) On the passenger side is the hot water tank. There are two valves there, are they the bypass for the tank?

Thanks for any help

Keith
kthoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:53 AM   #2

City water - fill tank? No, not really. Unless you think you'll want water during the trip. (Flush toilet, wash hands). Once you're at the camp site, you can decide if you want to stay on "city" or switch to the tank.

The *only* reason why we might fill the tank at the site is because we've had better success with the Girard Heater off the tank. Better meaning consistently, controllable temps. But, 9 times out of ten, if city water is available at our site, we use it directly and skip the tank.

Overflow - I too have seen those comments about folks saying their tanks are splashing water out as they drive. I've not had that problem in our 31FK. I've filled the tank at home, before departure, until the overflow tubes - um - overflow. And I've not lost any water that I can perceive. But the answer to your first question may make this moot.

I'm pretty sure the Girard does not have a bypass valve. This has been debated but most of us can't find a reference to them in the manual or the Jayco schematics. I have two Low Point Drains on the passenger side (inside a compartment). Is that the valve you're referring to?
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:58 AM   #3

Thanks for info pconroy!

OK, my next trip will involve fresh water from home so maybe I'll try the trip first and see how much water I lose before I install any valves.

Yes those two valves inside that compartment on the passenger side, what are they?

Am the only one that finds the manual very generic?
Old 05-09-2017, 04:30 PM   #4

I carry about a third to half full tank of fresh water.Last year I stopped at a camp ground in GA and the water was bad smelling well water. Glad I had water from home in my tank. On my 2016 Redhawk 29XK the fresh water tank drain is a black valve right past the drivers side rear wheel well. The two vales in compartment on passenger side are the low point hot and cold water drains.
elcheapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:43 PM   #5

I had to install overflow shutoff valves on my 2016 31 DS. Everytime I took a right turn or got on an interstate cloverleaf on ramp, I could see in the mirror the water gushing from the overflow tubes. Depending on distance, I have lost as much as half the fresh water.
Blue Ox Baseplate w/Aventa LX Tow Bar & KarGard II Deflector
Blue Ox Patriot Brake
tom463219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:20 PM   #6

LOL, sorry, the generic manual is close to useless. I have relied on this board several times to find valves, trouble shoot battery issues etc. You're in the right place.
jott56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:41 PM   #7

Kthoms,
The two side-by-side valves are "low point drains". These are for draining the remaining water out of your hot/cold water plumbing lines (handy prior to storage). The one by itself is the fresh-water tank drain. No need whatsoever to fill the fresh water tank unless, like someone else mentioned, you MAY need to use city water and the water source is unreliable.

Keep in mind, you do have a water filter to help purify the water a bit (I always prefer to bring bottled water myself.) And make sure you get a water pressure regulator if you plan on hooking up to city water. Plenty of RV plumbing systems have been destroyed due to too high of pressure.

2017 Greyhawk 29MV "Gandalf"
“Not all those who wander are lost.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
JonDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:45 PM   #8

Oh, btw, you won't be able to see the overflow tube from the outside of the coach you'll just see the water cascading down from under the coach when you're filling the tank and it's suddenly full.

I've never had a problem with overflow splashing out to the extent some others have mentioned.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:20 PM   #9

Like others have said - Low Point Drains. There are three on mine - two in that compartment, the other drivers side, outside.

Calling the manual "generic" is very kind of you.
I've chosen other words that range from "pitiful waste of good trees" to "%#$#@#@!"
Old 05-10-2017, 09:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDirk View Post
Kthoms,
The two side-by-side valves are "low point drains". These are for draining the remaining water out of your hot/cold water plumbing lines (handy prior to storage). The one by itself is the fresh-water tank drain. No need whatsoever to fill the fresh water tank unless, like someone else mentioned, you MAY need to use city water and the water source is unreliable.

Keep in mind, you do have a water filter to help purify the water a bit (I always prefer to bring bottled water myself.) And make sure you get a water pressure regulator if you plan on hooking up to city water. Plenty of RV plumbing systems have been destroyed due to too high of pressure.
Thx! I've wondered about that pressure regulator, I never used one in my last RV but I do hear some horror stories.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoms View Post
Thx! I've wondered about that pressure regulator, I never used one in my last RV but I do hear some horror stories.
If you get one, my advice would be to get a good one. We bought the inexpensive Camco one and it made the Girard Water Heater woes much worse.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:36 PM   #12

I agree. I bought a brass unit with psi indicator and an adjustment valve so you can change the pressure entering your rv. You don't have to buy a $50.00 unit but I'd highly recommend one that's adjustable. I love this one though:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1