Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-07-2017, 10:29 PM   #1

Jayco Seneca HD

Hi, am new here and a bit of an interloper but couldn't really find answers elsewhere. We are looking at buying a used Seneca 2005 or 2007? and have some questions on things I have read online. Hope you'all be willing to help. When I have looked online the used ones seem to have low mileage, the one we r looking at has 17,000 miles. Considering we are a big state just going anywhere can put lot of miles on but even in the Lower 48's they seem to be selling with low miles, which makes me ask why?
onthebuses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:07 PM   #2

There are lots of reasons people give up the RV lifestyle. It doesn't mean the rigs are bad. The people that can afford them are frequently older, and some just give it up or move on to a class A, or have health or financial issues. Life changes and so do the rigs. I'm sure their are plenty of folks who might chime in with plenty of other reasons. Sometimes the mate gets ill. In fact, I bought my rig off a couple who had purchased it new and never took a single trip. No sooner had they got it the wife had a stroke. No RV lifestyle for them. Stuff happens.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:16 PM   #3

t18skyguy

yes thanks for the reply, I have found a few more sites where they are selling with more miles under the hood. Do you have any knowledge of this RV? It certainly looks nice, has a few repairs that are needed but that comes with the "used" title and we like the diesel engine.
onthebuses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:04 AM   #4

Some people have permanent camp sites and don't move the much. Make sure to check all the functions of the rv. Both LP and electric sides of your appliances

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2017, 04:38 AM   #5

Some items to look at with older low mileage vehicles. Tire age, 7-10 years and they need to be replaced, check dot age code on side of tires. Some components need to be exercised frequently specifically the generator. Even with low miles vehicles need oil changes and lubing. Water and condensation can build up in units that Allowed to sit for long periods. on an older diesel rig I would rather see some higher mileage than low mileage. You did not say what the mileage was. Doing your due diligence ask a lot of questions to determine why the mileage is low and make decisions based on the responses. Look at the service records. Be sure it is being serviced regularly even if unused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:08 AM   #6

Model years

Since I researched the Seneca to death as we looked to purchase, I just wanted to give you some differentiation between years. Jayco used the Kodiac/top kick chassis until it was discontinued in 2010/2011. That chassis used a GM duramax Diesel. I do not know how much towing capacity was left over on the chassis after they put the house part on it, and I do not know what gen they used in those days. Now, in 2011 and 2012 Jayco went to the M2 106 Chassis BUT they did not have all the suspension upgrades. We first get air ride rear suspension in 2013 and front billstein shocks in 2015.

RVermont is absolutely correct that you want to know this thing was exercised at least once per month (gen too) and that it got an oil change once per year. I had seen many older Seneca for sale with over 60k miles that say rebuilt engine at about 60k miles, although every GM owner will tell you they love their Duramax so perhaps it was some issue with that combination. Biggest issue is to look for signs of water from the roof, and get up on the roof and look at all the Dicor sealing. If you find aspects that suggest they did poor maintenance of a 12 year old RV, there could be other problems.

Keep in mind that is will be near impossible to finance an RV that is 10 years old or older.

When I lived in the north, you never got more than 6 good years out of a car because the salt on the road ate them alive. This is other thing to look at underneath when surveying the unit.

Good luck in your search.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:09 AM   #7

We have 35K miles on our 2015/16 37FS. Also have over 700 hours on the generator. This was the vehicle we always felt and still feel, fits our lifestyle.
Many people are shocked we have so many miles on it.

I agree that some people think of the unit as a stepping stone and not as a satisfaction of a desire. To each his own. I agree that many units are victims of unfulfilled dreams and changes inn life. Think of the economy in 2008 and many people were forced to change.

The biggest problem I would think of with old units, besides dry rotted tires, is old fuel. I'd flush, put in new fuel, replace filters, put 500 miles on the unit and replace filters, again. Both main engine and generator.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:39 AM   #8

We had an 08 and put over 50,000 miles on it in 5 1/2 years. Our dealer was always leary of ultra low mileage motorhomes since problems weren't found due to lack of use. Having that Duramax sitting was definitely not good, nor would short trips be either. Definitely question the lack of use.

There is a Super C group on yahoo I would join that and ask some questions. Numerous KODIAK owners there.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:04 AM   #9

We bought our 2006 34SS about a year and a half ago. About 34k miles on it then, and we're well over 40 now. Not using it as much as we would like. Problem is temporarily economic for the most part. That will change before long. Many with these units don't take long trips, or use them constantly. THey often drive 125 miles, plunk down in a campground for a week, and drive home 125 miles, and that's it for a month or more. Some snowbirds take their unit 1500 miles to winter in a warmer climate, and it sits for 3-6 months while they live out of state and use their toad to get around. EIther way, unless you're full-timing, or have all the vacation time in the world, you're likely not driving your unit more than 2000 or 3000 miles a year while you're using it. Some use it for 4-5 years, and get a bit too old to be comfortable using an RV. OThers, like the PO of our unit, have college aged kids, and the money ends up going there instead of into an RV. They didn't want to sell it, but had to raise some cash to get their 3 girls through college.

Ours needed lots of little minor things that were mostly personal preference. It needed a thorough cleaning, and I mean scouring under cabinets. So, it was a big job to get a that dust out of there, but it was worthwhile. I did a number of minor upgrades also, and our unit is almost exactly what we want now.

I have lots of experience with the Duramax/Allison combination. 60k miles needing a rebuild indicates it was neglected, or abused, as even with a heavy load, that drivetrain ought to last well over 100k without major service. The oldest generation Duramax needed injectors replaced every 40-60k miles, but none of these Senecas used that old LB7 version of Duramax. These later versions mostly had the issue worked out. The Allison is mostly bulletproof also, but an ignorant driver can abuse them. Ask the previous owner the details on service intervals, where, and how it was done. Duramax engines aren't picky about oil, as long as it's engineered for diesels. BUt the Allison works well on only one trans fluid, the Transynd stuff they pit in it at the factory. It's expensive, so some owners cheap out and just use regular ATF. Mistake. Ask them. They will know if Transynd was used. If they have no clue, walk away. The coach itself is very reliable and well engineered. Build quality is pretty good also. At least it was on ours. THis Super C platform is precisely right for my wife and myself and the 2 dogs.

Most of them needed a rear suspension upgrade in the early years. It was about a 12,000 lb suspension with 15,000 lbs on it. Axle is massive, that's not the issue. It's the springs. So, Jayco eventually started equipping them with either Helwig helper springs or air suspension boosters. Ours has air. Works fine, but it's a dead ended system, and needs supplemental air every trip or so. Towing capacity on ours is right about 6k lbs when the RV is fully loaded, full of fuel and water. The later ones I believe are more like 10k. The unit is well balanced, but you cannot get in a hurry over bumpy roads. Especially things like speed bumps in parking lots or rolling bumps on the highway that toss the unit side to side.

If you have specific questions, post them here or visit our private group in the "Community" section in the tabs above. It's in Social Groups, and is termed the "First Generation Seneca Owners" group.

We like our unit even better than the new ones on the Freightliner M2 chassis, although I do have Cummins envy! ;-)
Old 08-08-2017, 05:56 PM   #10

Just to pile on, the previous owner of our Greyhawk used it once. So ours had really low miles.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:02 PM   #11

Forgot to add, buy KONI shocks, they will greatly improve your ride.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:39 PM   #12

Very little use

Many people buy a " TOY " ( RV - boat - motorcycle or ?? ) and use it 2 or 3 times and 6 months later 1 more time & a year later 1 more time and 1 - 2 years later sell it - they figure out that it is not all play - ( maintenance - storage - insurance - registration - fuel ) there is some work involved - WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT????
Sitting is very hard on any vehicle- have your mechanic look at it very closely
Good luck

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:07 PM   #13

We bought our 2007 34SS about 8 months ago. It had 30k on it and was in great condition. This had been my "dream" Rv from the moment I saw it. Finally was able to find one in our price range. We found it on consignment from a local RV dealer, so we were able to get great finance terms on it.
Since purchase, we did a "technology" upgrade to it. New TV's, new HD sat dish, front cab nav system, new outside stereo and TV set up.
Also added a custom fresh water tank to put our total at 100 gallons.
Our newest upgrade is fixing the paint issues on the front and rear cap. Seems like the selling dealer did a poor "touch up" to hide some paint fade/chipping. I am currently having these re-painted. (not cheap, but worth it in our opinion)
I couldn't ask for a nicer RV for us. Although the newer model with the Freightliner would have been nice, just wasn't worth double the cost for us.
Goflight2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:37 AM   #14

Congrats on your purchase. Sounds like you got what you wanted and are upgrading it to be a great unit.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2022, 09:17 PM   #15

Just got a 2006 34SS and I’m trying to add additional fresh water. Any info on your setup?
dukeyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2022, 10:44 AM   #16

I picked up a 2008 34ss with 75k on it, now at 88k in 2 1/2 years. buying used gets someone that has usually fixed all the manufacture defects for you. Only problem I had was fixed by a FASS system and now it runs even better.
mjc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 12:48 PM   #17

No health issues here, both of us are still alive, still have plenty of days ahead, (only in our 50s)...We simply realized we didn't like driving a house down the road. So we bought a deeded lot right on the coast and here we sit in our shiny two-year-old motorhome.
lol
If homes weren't so ridiculously priced right now, we would just sell the coach and buy a real house here. But as it is, it's much cheaper to live in this coach so we'll just stay here for a year or so and see how it goes. I run the coach and the generator about every two weeks and I'll keep up with maintenance since we're living in it full-time. But we'll likely sell it next year and either buy a Super C (if it's more enjoyable to drive than a Class A) or buy a house.
JAYC0 is offline   Reply With Quote