Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2017, 07:39 PM   #1

Thumbs down Jayco's Huge Letdown!!

Hello Everyone!

We just bought a 2018 Jayco Greyhawk 30X. Ran it through its paces locally and decided we were ready for a long trip up to Colorado. About 6 hours down the road we heard a loud crash and knew it couldn't possibly be good. So we pulled over to find ourselves in a cloud of smoke. I race around for the fire extinguisher and as I did I saw a long trail of fluid going down the road behind us. Once the smoke cleared, I saw our hydraulic pump assembly for the leveling system laying on the road. The weld holding it to the frame had broke and the only thing keeping it in place was the hydraulic lines that goes to each of the jacks. I just couldn't believe it. We had 2780 miles on the clock when all this happened (1250 of that was from the delivery process). This all happened on a Sunday afternoon and we were literally in the middle of nowhere. Cell service was spotty at best and I wasn't even sure who I could contact that could help me in this situation. Luckily a very nice man stopped and loaned me some tools. I was able to disconnect the pump and secure all the jacks in the 100 degree heat while fighting fire ants and get the camper drive-able again. My whole family was pretty shook up about the whole ordeal.

We decided since we hadn't made any firm plans to go to Colorado that maybe we should head to Middlebury, IN to show this situation to Jayco as we all felt it was a very serious failure and we were lucky that nobody or nothing was hurt or damaged. So we changed direction and drove as far as we could towards Jayco then we would stop for the night and call Jayco first thing in the morning.

We called Jayco first thing Monday morning and spoke with a guy named Mark and I was absolutely appalled at what he had to say. He basically told me that it was not a Jayco problem but a problem with the chassis manufacturer. That Jayco contracts out getting the frame extended on the chassis and the contractor is the one who welds all of the equipment to the chassis and that even if we brought the camper up to Jayco that they do not even have a welding machine to fix it with. He told me to take it back to the dealer we purchased it from and let them handle it. I told him that I am not trying to get him to fix my hot water heater or some other minor item and at the end of the day it is Jayco's name on the motor home and not the chassis contractors. I just had a chunk of 20+ pounds of iron and a pump assembly fall off my motor home and that all he can tell me is to let the dealer handle it. So much for customer service.

In the end, we decided to not let it ruin our vacation and ended up in Colorado after all. We just slept crooked from time to time and made the best of it. We got it to the dealer today and they are at least taking it serious and doing what they can to help us.

I just wanted to make everyone aware and it might be something others want to look at.

If anyone has any good contact information for someone at Jayco that may be more helpful than Mark please share it with me!!!!!
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:45 PM   #2

Wow sorry for your trouble ad the way it was handled. Glad to hear that you salvaged the trip and made the best of it.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:56 PM   #3

Sorry for your trouble. That shouldn't happen, obviously. But I suspect Mark is just being honest with you. Jayco has all their chassis built by a chassis MFG. Just about all RV manufacturers are in the same situation. That being the case, they don't weld a single one of the hydraulic pump assemblies to the chassis at Jayco, and likely don't have the right equipment to do it. If your tow vehicle transmission blew up, you wouldn't take it back to Ford factory for repair. You would take it to a Ford dealer for warranty service. Same with the RV. Similarly, if your oven went out, or your furnace or your water pump or your refrigerator, the RV manufacturer would refer you to your dealer, who would deal with the appliance manufacturer for their warranty claim, on your behalf. Jayco doesn't fix ovens. That's just the way it works with something as complicated as an RV, where various professional manufacturers make some of the major devices and appliances which are included in the package.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:23 PM   #4

This sounds so scary; glad you are all OK and could keep going. So thankful it didn't happen in your case; but, what if the wayward chunks of iron and stuff caused an accident or damage or worse to others on the road.....who would be responsible? You, Jayco, the chassis mfg, the dealer??
freetoroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:35 PM   #5

If Mark was any kind of GOOD customer service representative, he could of at least gone the distance of helping you get advice as to what to do since you were on the road. That might have included him stating that he would call someone that could answer your questions. You bought a JAYCO product, not all of it's components individually.

From what you state, it sounds like he blew you off. If that is the case, he did give you a big letdown.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:20 PM   #6

Location: Full timing in the 377, but Llano, Texas is now home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
Hello Everyone!

We just bought a 2018 Jayco Greyhawk 30X. Ran it through its paces locally and decided we were ready for a long trip up to Colorado. About 6 hours down the road we heard a loud crash and knew it couldn't possibly be good. So we pulled over to find ourselves in a cloud of smoke. I race around for the fire extinguisher and as I did I saw a long trail of fluid going down the road behind us. Once the smoke cleared, I saw our hydraulic pump assembly for the leveling system laying on the road. The weld holding it to the frame had broke and the only thing keeping it in place was the hydraulic lines that goes to each of the jacks. I just couldn't believe it. We had 2780 miles on the clock when all this happened (1250 of that was from the delivery process). This all happened on a Sunday afternoon and we were literally in the middle of nowhere. Cell service was spotty at best and I wasn't even sure who I could contact that could help me in this situation. Luckily a very nice man stopped and loaned me some tools. I was able to disconnect the pump and secure all the jacks in the 100 degree heat while fighting fire ants and get the camper drive-able again. My whole family was pretty shook up about the whole ordeal.

We decided since we hadn't made any firm plans to go to Colorado that maybe we should head to Middlebury, IN to show this situation to Jayco as we all felt it was a very serious failure and we were lucky that nobody or nothing was hurt or damaged. So we changed direction and drove as far as we could towards Jayco then we would stop for the night and call Jayco first thing in the morning.

We called Jayco first thing Monday morning and spoke with a guy named Mark and I was absolutely appalled at what he had to say. He basically told me that it was not a Jayco problem but a problem with the chassis manufacturer. That Jayco contracts out getting the frame extended on the chassis and the contractor is the one who welds all of the equipment to the chassis and that even if we brought the camper up to Jayco that they do not even have a welding machine to fix it with. He told me to take it back to the dealer we purchased it from and let them handle it. I told him that I am not trying to get him to fix my hot water heater or some other minor item and at the end of the day it is Jayco's name on the motor home and not the chassis contractors. I just had a chunk of 20+ pounds of iron and a pump assembly fall off my motor home and that all he can tell me is to let the dealer handle it. So much for customer service.

In the end, we decided to not let it ruin our vacation and ended up in Colorado after all. We just slept crooked from time to time and made the best of it. We got it to the dealer today and they are at least taking it serious and doing what they can to help us.

I just wanted to make everyone aware and it might be something others want to look at.

If anyone has any good contact information for someone at Jayco that may be more helpful than Mark please share it with me!!!!!
I'm so sorry to hear of your travel woes on your brand new Jayco, and what a service rep told you. They are the author of that product and carry an industry leading 2 year warranty. Try contacting Dave Underwood at Jayco Service. Last month, he treated us and our North Point 377 RLBH long list of warranty items like royalty. We were very pleased they fixed most every item on the list. Even broken shelf on our residential refer door are being sent to us. My living room tv, with color woes, was replaced with a brand new tv. It's fabulous color now. This just doesn't sound anywhere like the Jayco Service I experienced. I sincerely hope you find the service you need from Jayco.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:00 PM   #7

Sorry for that tragic occurrence. I hope it gets made right for you. Thank you for sharing, I'm going to crawl under mine and inspect it tomorrow. I would never of guessed that it would of been welded, I figured it would have been bolted to facilitate repair.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:58 PM   #8

Wow, what an unfortunate incident. Although Jayco was truthful with you regarding the chassis, good customer service would dictate that they would work with you to get the manufacturer of the chassis to get this issue resolved.

As a side note, as a purchaser of a new Jayco product, you get one year free membership in CoachNet. Contact them ASAP: https://coach-net.com/ - 877 801-0333. Part of their service is roadside assistance. I believe they would have given you the help you needed.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Hello Everyone!

Ask for Mitchell Grooms in Customer Service. He has been over the top with my issues and his help !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:44 AM   #10

Jayco has the ultimate responsibility to resolve this issue, and in doubt seriously they will try to absolve themselves of it.

However "Mark" just saved you a lot more frustration. You decided in the heat of the moment to drive to Middlebury to get your RV repaired at the factory. Mark essentially said don't bother and don't come, we can't fix that here.

I'm certain, in the moment it feels like they don't care, but in reality that was much better than getting their and then being turned away.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Jayco has the ultimate responsibility to resolve this issue, and in doubt seriously they will try to absolve themselves of it.

However "Mark" just saved you a lot more frustration. You decided in the heat of the moment to drive to Middlebury to get your RV repaired at the factory. Mark essentially said don't bother and don't come, we can't fix that here.

I'm certain, in the moment it feels like they don't care, but in reality that was much better than getting their and then being turned away.

After thinking about it, I feel you are completely right in your thinking. The dealer is the one to take care of this. Jayco factory was just thinking of the customer and gave him the right information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:34 AM   #12

Does anyone think that Jayco should examine their chassis specifications and required quality inspections (if any) so that the chassis modifier that Jayco contracts with will produce a more reliable product? Or should we just expect that chunks of metal will fall off of an RV due to poor welding or design?
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 10:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhiker View Post
Does anyone think that Jayco should examine their chassis specifications and required quality inspections (if any) so that the chassis modifier that Jayco contracts with will produce a more reliable product? Or should we just expect that chunks of metal will fall off of an RV due to poor welding or design?
It is unfortunate that it happened, but unless things have changed, that contractor is MOR-RYDE and they have a very good reputation. Remember they do hundreds of chassis for many manufacturers.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:01 PM   #14

For a hobby, I ruin good pieces of wood - turning them into sawdust, so please bear in mind I don't know "boo" about welding. But poor joints in woodworking is often hard to spot.

I'm wondering if a bad weld could be equally tough to spot?
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:38 PM   #15

Jayco's Huge Letdown!!

Sorry to hear about your problems, I'm sure its frustrating. That being said, Mark was 100% right. The chassis was NOT made by Jayco, it was made by an independent manufacturer. Jayco doesn't have the capabilities to fix that problem, which is why Mark told you NOT to bring it to them. That was the correct information to provide to you. How upset would you have been to drive all the way to Indiana to get it fixed and then find out that they can't fix it? I imagine that you would have been much more upset if that happened.

Jayco builds a pretty good product. Sometimes things fall through the cracks. I have never heard of such a problem as yours, which leads me to believe that it is a problem unique to your camper, not to the process of building every camper.

Frustration aside, getting mad at the wrong person isn't getting you anywhere. Good luck getting your rig fixed.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:38 PM   #16

A proper weld is so redundantly strong, that even if they had small portions of it correct it would have stayed on. The whole thing must have been done by someone at their first attempt at welding. Or maybe it was just tack welded before the final weld and they forgot and left it. When that kind of thing happens in aircraft work we call it broken work.The rule is never start a task that you don't take to completion. If you could post a picture of that defectively welded pump that would be interesting.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustdevil View Post
Sorry for your trouble. That shouldn't happen, obviously. But I suspect Mark is just being honest with you. Jayco has all their chassis built by a chassis MFG. Just about all RV manufacturers are in the same situation. That being the case, they don't weld a single one of the hydraulic pump assemblies to the chassis at Jayco, and likely don't have the right equipment to do it. If your tow vehicle transmission blew up, you wouldn't take it back to Ford factory for repair. You would take it to a Ford dealer for warranty service. Same with the RV. Similarly, if your oven went out, or your furnace or your water pump or your refrigerator, the RV manufacturer would refer you to your dealer, who would deal with the appliance manufacturer for their warranty claim, on your behalf. Jayco doesn't fix ovens. That's just the way it works with something as complicated as an RV, where various professional manufacturers make some of the major devices and appliances which are included in the package.
I understand your point completely but why wouldn't Jayco want to investigate this further. Is this an isolated incident or is this a bigger problem. How do I know that the same micky mouse welder didn't weld my frame extensions on. What will fall of next or worse. This isn't about the leveling system not functioning but more about things falling off of the camper at 65 mph on a open highway. Last I checked, Ford has been held responsible for installing faulty airbags not the Chinese manufacturer.
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:56 PM   #18

Quote:
I understand your point completely but why wouldn't Jayco want to investigate this further.
They probably will, but it all depends on how your dealer approaches it.

Personally I think Mark led you wrong because the service center should have a welder.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:15 PM   #19

Don't talk to Mark

I have learned to request anyone but Mark ( my dealer refuses to talk to Mark ) the other people have a much better understanding of " customer service "
The last time that I called Jayco I was told that Mark wasn't there ( I hoped that meant fired )
Call Jayco back and talk to someone else

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #20

Never saw a shop as big as Jayco has not have a welding machine, second problem is someone who knows how to use it. think i will keep my 09 Greyhawk
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote