Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-28-2016, 02:29 PM   #1

Jeep Wiring

We have a 17 Redhawk and will be towing a 15 Jeep Wrangler. I ordered a Blue OX setup that included the wiring for the Jeep lights but in the mean time I ran across the factory Mopar tow vehicle wiring harness. I'm typically a huge fan of using factory parts instead of aftermarket options but in this case I'm wondering if running completely separate wiring for the lights isn't safer than using the Mopar one.

Does anyone know if the trailer plug on the Redhawk has power connected to it? I think I read that the Mopar kit requires power from the MH on pin 7. (Corrected from pin 4)

Thoughts or suggestions?
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:02 PM   #2

I prefer to use towed vehicle factory add-ons before using aftermarket too but it looks like pin #4 is for brake lights; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traile..._North_America

Perhaps pin #7 for auxiliary power? The only real way to know for sure is to get out the meter or 12VDC test light.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:10 PM   #3

I used the cooltech kit on my '13 wrangler. Chose it over the Mopar kit because the Mopar kit was much more complicated and installation required removing a fender. Cooltech's kit installed in about 15 minutes.
AaronM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronM View Post
I used the cooltech kit on my '13 wrangler. Chose it over the Mopar kit because the Mopar kit was much more complicated and installation required removing a fender. Cooltech's kit installed in about 15 minutes.
How long have you used it? I've read mostly positive things about it but also a few concerning issues.
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:05 PM   #5

Wrangler wiring

I also used the Cool Tech harness on my 2015 Wrangler and it works fine. I don't use the battery disconnect because you lose your computer data for smog and timing. Cost me 2 smog check fees to discover this fact and a 70 mile trip with a OBD connected to see when it cleared. I disconnect the plug before using the Jeep brakes or it back-feeds to my Seneca and activates it's brake lights. The cut and chop diode in-line alternative seemed Draconian.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:54 PM   #6

Quote:
How long have you used it? I've read mostly positive things about it but also a few concerning issues.
Just one trip of about 1200 miles but I really don't see any way there could be any problems with it. I think the issues were with the older Jeeps or Jeeps with toad brake controllers. You are basically just joining your motorhome lights to your Jeep lights. If you press the brake in the Jeep while hooked up then the motorhome brake lights also come on. No need to remove any fuses or make any changes. Just plug in and drive. No problems so far.
AaronM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:10 PM   #7

Brand new here, just joined seeking out seneca data. Current in a C. I did the jeep wire project and I forgot to mention using plastic wire tubing for the wire runto to the rear (in a post I made at another site ). PM me if you would like more info.

Hoglou

Old post:
I adderesed the same demons, wanting brakes but the lights conflicted. Two seperate vehicle computers dont talk well togther, somebody is going to lose..

781124: TrailerMate 2007-2013 Jeep Custom Tail Light Wiring Kit for Towed Vehicles
This is plug and play to the lamp sockets.
I use this on a 2015 wrangler with an automatic. Drilled one hole under the right tail light and ran the wiring down the passenger side frame to the six pin connector on the base plate. I use a stock 7pin (coach) to 6 pin (toad) power cord. I do not unhook my battery, infact I run a battery buddy that keeps the toad battery charging while being towed by using the always hot from the 7 pin (only allows current one way to toad from coach). This allows me to use the always hot center console 12v for the patriot brake ( set at 2, only for emergency braking to keep jeep brakes cool).

I do pull two toad fuses (M1, M37) that prevents brake signals from conflicting with the coach. You could run a brake light cut off switch, I found the fuses easier. I did lose my toad tag plate light with this set up as the added wiring does not connect to it.

Blue ox plate and bar. Over 10,000 miles. No problem. Oh, and the odometer does not record tug miles...

"Harry" the toad always goes with us.....
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:50 PM   #8

wiring to tow

Next you will have to consider supplemental braking and break-away. Lots of options and some require mechanical boxes in the driver's area to push pedals. I read about this system on the Wrangler blog and couldn't happier with the simplicity and ease at hook-up and disconnect.
https://www.amazon.com/NSA-RV-Produc.../dp/B00IK56P1U
Break-away system:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...oducts+RS-5000
I don't pull fuses to tow. No battery disconnect. No brake controller. I do have an after-market theft protection system installed and bumpy roads will set off the alarm, so we tow with the doors unlocked and lock doors when stopped and away from the rig. The flashing lights in the Wrangler back-fed to the Seneca dash and looked like I had hit the emergency flashers.
Probably 8,000 miles on the set-up.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:53 AM   #9

There is some good information here:

Towing Unlimited Behind RV - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Old 12-07-2016, 10:56 PM   #10

I installed the Mopar wiring kit and it took a few minutes for the computer to recognize it but it works great.
byrdbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:40 PM   #11

I also installed the Mopar harness and it worked perfectly.
I used the blue ox base plate and Redibrute elite tow bar.
I tow a 2016 wrangler sahara behind a 2017 29MV.
blalock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:39 PM   #12

I just installed the Mopar wire harness on our 2016 Jeep Wrangler this week. It may have been a little pain installing, but worth the effort, no need to pull any fuses before towing. Waiting for the Blue Ox base plate, Ready Brute Elite to bar, and Ready Stop bread away to be delivered.

ed
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Silverado High Country 4x4 Crew Cab
Australian Cattle dogs Zan & Tre
ed4ster is offline   Reply With Quote