Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2016, 05:17 PM   #1

Just an editorial comment on the Nav System

The Jensen JRV215N radio in our Greyhawk came with the iGo Navigation system. Personally, after a weekend with it, I'd recommend using your phone or something else.

I found the menu system archaic. And three times, on three separate routes it told us to "turn right, then turn around then turn right."

Yep - it wanted us to turn right, then go 25-50 yards, then turn around and get right back on the road we were on.

It's better than nothing.
But not too much better.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:00 PM   #2
Site Team

It's a common complaint from many with on board nav. Occasionally my Garmin does a similar thing when a cross over is not on the map and it routes you down the road to a turn around and back.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:10 PM   #3

My nav system is a Rand McNally and an American Map road atlas - NO idiotic turn right/left here msgs. If I don't get to where I want to go, it's my error!
Old 06-13-2016, 07:57 PM   #4

I'm a HUGE fan of the navigation app Waze. Most accurate maps and routing because, like Wikipedia, the maps are volunteer edited by folks all over the world. And there is a hierarchy of editors and an approval system that assures quality.
The app also has real time traffic and accident info bases on a constant stream of automatic data coming in from hundreds of thousands of Waze users real time. It has all the features you would expect from a high end GPS.
The only downside is that you must have a cell signal. You can drop for a few miles at a time but if you drop for too long map detail and directions start to suffer since it is a server based system. The only time I found this to be a problem was in the Big Bend area of Texas where we went for about a hundred miles with no cell service.
You don't have to update maps since they are on the server they are always 100% up to date and free.
If you do find a map error or Waze routes you some crazy way, you just report the problem (through the App) to a volunteer map editor (like me!) and we will fix it. Usually within a day. Or better yet, become a map editor yourself (requires PC and a Browser) and help.
My only complaint is that Waze doesn't understand RVs or Semi's yet. It doesn't know about low underpasses, high RR crossings, etc. but I believe that is coming.
Best part - the app is CHEAP, it runs on your phone and the maps are free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ford 2016 F150 Lariat, 3.5L V6 Ecoboost
Max Tow Pkg, 36gal tank
Reese Sidewinder and Reese Titan 16k hitch
BuddyRay is offline   Reply With Quote