Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2012, 03:30 PM   #1

Angry Just Another Problem - Now it is the roof!

We bought the 31DS brand new last April and had numerous issues which were all covered under warranty. It was a hassle going back and forth to the dealer, but they were great about fixing.

It is now back in the shop because the toilet leaks. Dealer has fixed the leaks (warranty) but in the process called to tell us the roof needs "maintenance" which is going to run over $300 and is not covered by warranty. We pointed out a bubble in the roof last summer and dealer said it was normal. They have now found some seams and other spots that need to be sealed.

Is this normal? The MH is parked outside, but we had a very mild winter here in Cincinnati and I was caught totally off guard with this fix. Dealer claimed we could seal ourselves, but we are not willing to take a chance on leaks forming or one of us falling off the roof.

What has been everyone else's experience with a less than year old unit?
donellen30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Site Team

Unfortunately your dealer is correct in that sealant repair/replacement is considered regular maintanance and is not a warranty item. The manual states that you should inspect all sealants every six months and reseal as necessary. I do my own seal inspections and my experience was that all sealants were good for the first two years, then I had to do a bit of touching up with Dicor on some roof seals last Fall.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #3

Buy a roll of Eterna-bond and you will never have to seal them again.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #4

Hey Grumpy, does that work on TT Featherlight?
I'm relatively new.
Dave
SecretCoveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #5

[QUOTE=donellen30;71287]We bought the 31DS brand new last April and had numerous issues which were all covered under warranty. It was a hassle going back and forth to the dealer, but they were great about fixing.

It is now back in the shop because the toilet leaks. Dealer has fixed the leaks (warranty) but in the process called to tell us the roof needs "maintenance" which is going to run over $300 and is not covered by warranty. We pointed out a bubble in the roof last summer and dealer said it was normal. They have now found some seams and other spots that need to be sealed.

Is this normal? The MH is parked outside, but we had a very mild winter here in Cincinnati and I was caught totally off guard with this fix. Dealer claimed we could seal ourselves, but we are not willing to take a chance on leaks forming or one of us falling off the roof.

Dealer is correct you pay to take care of the roof. Monaco is the only manufacuture I have found that don't use a rubber roof they offer the same 2 year warrantee but includes the roof
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretCoveDave View Post
Hey Grumpy, does that work on TT Featherlight?
I'm relatively new.
Dave
Yes it will.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #7

i agree with the tape,the up front cost is a little expensive but it saves a lot of work down the road,manufactures should do this as an option on there roofs, i will be putting it on my new rv as soon as i pick it up
6thcav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thcav View Post
i agree with the tape,the up front cost is a little expensive but it saves a lot of work down the road,manufactures should do this as an option on there roofs, i will be putting it on my new rv as soon as i pick it up
What, just because it's supposed to be good for 15yrs? .
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
What, just because it's supposed to be good for 15yrs? .
ill b doing this because i don't want to be out camping in up state ny in oct with a chance of snow and have to climb up on the roof because its leaking
6thcav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 05:23 PM   #10

I just purchased the 23XM redhawk a month ago and we have only use it once. I cannot believe the number of small issues that I have found in such a short time. After more than 40 years on the road 3 trailers and two fifth wheels decided the 5th wheel was getting to much on the setup and prep to leave so we decided on small motorhome. Sink was leaking, shower was leaking and to top that the shower is about 6 inches above the floor on a plywood platform and slides around and bangs into the plumbing and the air ducts. The factory made no attempt to try and anchor the platform to floor so it would not slide around. Every time the shower is used the platform underneath is in a different position. That is why the shower floor seems so flimsy. There are a number of other issues so when I take it in for service I will have a laundry list of things that need to be fixed. What is beyond me is that after 5 RVs and other brands to include Heartland, StarCraft and Fleetwood the Jayco has the absolute crummiest QC. These issues should not be present in a new unit. I guess it gonna take the RV industry moving overseas for cheaper labor and a more dedicated and conscientious work force and not just to acquire a pay check.
xmtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:42 PM   #11

They just don't make them like the used to.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote