Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2017, 03:43 PM   #1

Keeping it Cool

We live in south Florida. It is ridiculously hot. Humans should not be subjected to this type of heat. New Senecas certainly should not be subjected to this heat.

I am working on building a RV port to cover the Seneca, going through the permitting process now. It will be couple of months before construction is completed. Until I do, the Seneca is living outside subjected to full sun.

I am trying to decide how to store the RV until I get the cover. I have a 30 amp service RV receptacle, enough to run only one AC unit. Only one AC doesn't keep up with the heat and runs continuously and never really cools it and I am afraid of burning up the AC from over use. I tried running the AC fans with the bathroom vent open and it got un-bearingly hot inside. I know this cannot be good for the components of the RV.

Once I get the RV port it will be in full shade and much cooler. Looking for suggestions on how others are keeping the RV in the heat.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 03:55 PM   #2

99 degrees today. Seneca is covered and closed from 3 sides only getting morning sun on rear. I leave a roof vent open to allow heated air to escape. Don't run a/c when stored as it would run continuously for months.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:45 PM   #3
Site Team

I leave the TT's two ceiling vents open 24/7/365. One at each end of the TT. The rear bathroom fan is on exhaust, on fast, with the thermostat that kick it on around 78 degrees. This keeps changing the inside air. We never close them. Has worked fine for the last 5+ years here in the Florida sun (Clearwater area). Never encountered any mold.

When we leave for the summer, I push the house thermostat up to 81 degrees. The humidity in the house never gets above 48%. Saves a lot on AC costs.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:39 PM   #4

All I get from this thread is don't live in Florida in the summer!
Allen_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:32 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen_C View Post
I am about 200 yards from the gulf. Unlike central FL, I usually have a slight breeze, so if you are OUT OF THE DIRECT SUNLIGHT, and in the shade you can survive. If you go inland about 1/4 mile from the gulf that breeze is gone.

Of course some people can not handle temperatures around 90 with 90% humidity for 4 months.

We left for Hiawassee GA a few years ago, it was 91 here, we hit the GA/FL border and it was 106, told DW we are going the wrong way, we should be heading to the keys. They have been having record warm temps up there for the last 3 years.... may need to relocate somewhere else... but where???? Everyplace is having record high temps. Oh well, I will have to get my Pepsi and sit in the creek behind the TT where the water is always below 70 degrees.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:43 PM   #6

All but 2 of my Windows are covered in reflectix, vents are filled with insulating inserts, skylights deleted. I can maintain 70-73 with no problem with the outside temps at 100 deg in direct sunlight with 1 - 15k AC. I posted a picture of my sensor read out on my thread just to show last summer. Skylights in an rv are a BIG enemy. My theory has always been, if you want natural light, go outside, if you want cool, delete all that junk or cover it in reflectix.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:19 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen_C View Post
Every year we have a vote on whether to move from Florida to the Colorado mountains. And every year the results are the same. 49% - 51%. I come so close. 😂

Actually we leave sometime in July and come back late October when it cools off a bit. It just seems to get hotter every year and this year seems especially hot.

Past few years was Colorado, this year we are heading to Maine.
Old 05-27-2017, 06:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
All but 2 of my Windows are covered in reflectix, vents are filled with insulating inserts, skylights deleted. I can maintain 70-73 with no problem with the outside temps at 100 deg in direct sunlight with 1 - 15k AC. I posted a picture of my sensor read out on my thread just to show last summer. Skylights in an rv are a BIG enemy. My theory has always been, if you want natural light, go outside, if you want cool, delete all that junk or cover it in reflectix.
I think having it covered is the biggest help and that is coming. I painted the shower skylight with Plasticoat and shot the temps before and after, about 4 degrees cooler after painting. Exposed windows are covered in aluminum insulation which I guess is what you call reflectix.

I am hoping to get the building done before we leave in July.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:36 AM   #9

I remember when I lived in South Fl getting a shed built for camper was a pain due to wind code, and between the heat and sun damage that occurred on a RV was a pain
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 11:35 AM   #10

Yeah, going through permitting process now. Hopefully the architect get a good job .