Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-28-2017, 07:40 PM   #1

Keyless Door Lock Recall

Haven't been here in a while, life got real busy. Been hearing something lately about a keyless door lock recall. Which locks and on what model rv's? Our Seneca missed the recall on the Norcold Fridge and the Microwave recall too. Both of our's were made after the recall dates. But can't find a darn thing as far as info goes on the keyless door lock. Our's is a Dexter but don't know the model number on it, where is it found?
Old 05-29-2017, 05:19 AM   #2

If you have the lock that has a Dexter keypad separate from the latch there was a campaign to add a fuse to the wiring to protect the system.

Our 2014 had the separate keypad/latch and Jayco replaced the keypad 4 times after it failed, some only worked 1 day. The final straw was when it actually caught fire and scorched the door. Then Jayco replaced the whole door and installed the same latch the newer Senecas come with which is a Bauer with an integrated keypad. They only used the separate keypad a few years, Jayco told me it was nothing but trouble.

As a side note my Bauer quit working a few weeks ago, I contacted Bauer directly and they sent me a brand new assembly (free) that has the newest AlSentis touchpad technology. The new lock also locks the paddle when the deadbolt is engaged. The first replacement did not lock the paddles. Bauer even matched my current key code (on my request) when they sent me the new one since I had many copies already. So far the new lock is great, time will tell.
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbbyr View Post
As a side note my Bauer quit working a few weeks ago, I contacted Bauer directly and they sent me a brand new assembly (free) that has the newest AlSentis touchpad technology. The new lock also locks the paddle when the deadbolt is engaged. The first replacement did not lock the paddles. Bauer even matched my current key code (on my request) when they sent me the new one since I had many copies already. So far the new lock is great, time will tell.
Was that an easy install? We have the previous edition of the Bauer that works fine, but would like to lock the paddles too. Where did you get your keys copied?
Crossingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:40 AM   #4

Thank you for that s info. We have rarely used Our's as it seems to be more trouble than good. Set it a coule of times and it worked great. Then next few times it either didn't want to set or we had trouble getting it to unlock. Who do I contact to get this fixed? Going on a two week trip in July and would love it to be trouble free. Oh, do you have any idea why we are not getting notifications on recalls? If it were not for this forum we would be clueless to all recalls.
Old 05-29-2017, 05:43 AM   #5

I'm wondering if this is worth the trouble. We had ours worked on upon receiving the Seneca, as it failed immediately. Have had it replaced once, since and it still just seems to last a couple of weeks. We've become very use to just locking with the door key and certainly would never leave the coach locked and not take a key, for fear of it not working when we got back.

4 months left on warranty, so then on my own.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 12:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossingover View Post
Was that an easy install? We have the previous edition of the Bauer that works fine, but would like to lock the paddles too. Where did you get your keys copied?
Very easy swap, 10 minutes and a Phillips screwdriver is all you need. Remove the 2 screws from the jamb area where the latch and deadbolt come out and the 4 smaller screws that hold the inner part of the assembly to the outside part. Hang on to both parts (a helper is handy at this point) then carefully unplug the wire connecting the batteris to the circuit board. Then you lift the outer part consisting of the actual mechanism out the door towards the outside.

Installation is a reverse of removal, be careful when you insert the wire connection making sure it is oriented properly. Put the two jamb screws in, don't tighten them yet. Then put the 4 that hold the halves together also just barely snug them. Also take care when you mate the inner and outer halves of the latch together that you don't pinch the wires. Then tighten the 2 jamb screws securely then go back and tighten the other 4. They gave me a new coach-side striker assembly but it was identical to what was already there so I didn't have to mess with that.

I got my spare keys directly from Bauer's website, you can order them pre-cut to your code.

As far as some other owner's longevity issues - do you have the latest model? It should have "AlSentist HSS" embossed to the right of the keypad. Bauer claims that latest model is reliable. If you have one that doesn't work email them your problem, perhaps they will send you a new one like they did me.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JayBirds View Post
Haven't been here in a while, life got real busy. Been hearing something lately about a keyless door lock recall. Which locks and on what model rv's? Our Seneca missed the recall on the Norcold Fridge and the Microwave recall too. Both of our's were made after the recall dates. But can't find a darn thing as far as info goes on the keyless door lock. Our's is a Dexter but don't know the model number on it, where is it found?
Here is the recall link for the TriMark keypad lock, I said Dexter before but it was actually a TriMark keypad installed by Dexter in their door they sell to Jayco. Here is a link to that recall, you can see if your unit is part of it by the VIN or Jayco serial number in the attached documents on the recall website.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2014/JAYCO/SENECA#recalls
Old 05-29-2017, 06:37 PM   #8

Thank you. The vin number look up doesn't help it keeps telling me that at least one of the 17 letter/number combo is invalid. It's not, took a very clear picture of it right off the motorhome! Will call Jayco tomorrow.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:51 PM   #9

My 17 digit VIN showed invalid also, but you can search based on year, make, and model too. I put in 2014 Jayco Seneca and it showed two recalls. At the bottom of the summary of each was a list of attached documents, one of which listed the VIN and the Jayco serial numbers involved.

I found my unit was listed for the keypad issue, I did take it in and they installed the fuse but it still did not keep it from failing and scorching my door. And my unit's microwave serial number is later than the recalled units, hopefully they fixed the problem when they built my oven!
Old 05-30-2017, 11:41 AM   #10

Great. I still check that out, but our lock is a DEXTER so not sure if it's included. Will look see. Thanks

Just took a quick look and it looks like our Seneca was manufactured in March of 14 so looking like it wasn't involved in the recall. Guess that's why it has the Dexter looking system instead of the Tri-Mark. Thank you again for your help. Now all we need to do is call Jayco and find out why we are not getting owner notification on issues like this. There were a couple of other recalls that we found out about shortly after delivery in which we made a trip back to him for the repairs. Have never gotten anything at all from them except an satisfaction questioner on the product.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:55 AM   #11

It may be labeled Dexter, mine had a Dexter tag but it was actually manufactured by TriMark for Dexter to assemble. Confusing, yes!
Old 05-30-2017, 12:01 PM   #12

Then I better double check that manufacture date to make sure it wasn't in the recall. We also have a Dexter manual for our lock, but that may not make any difference either. Going to double check. Will be leaving on a 2+ week trip across country early July and would love it to be trouble free.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:14 PM   #13

With all the problems with the brands they had been installing for the keyless entry I don't know why they didn't go a totally different route...Not dependent on wiring. We installed a RVLock on our present unit (which is being traded in) when New NP finally arrives. It runs off batteries. Just change out the batteries every start of the season. We have NEVER had any issue with it at all. Works like a charm and programmable to your own code. We plan on taking if off and re-installing on the new unit when it arrives. LOVE not having to take keys with you everywhere.
FireBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:19 PM   #14

Jayco only used the 12-volt keyless entry latches for a few years before switching to the self-contained battery operated Bauer latch. Way too many problems and some caught fire as mine did. They replaced my entire entry door, otherwise the hole where the keypad was located would have been quite obvious. The matched my painted graphics perfectly, looks like it came that way.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:06 AM   #15

Part Number?

Quote:
Very easy swap, 10 minutes and a Phillips screwdriver is all you need. Remove the 2 screws from the jamb area where the latch and deadbolt come out and the 4 smaller screws that hold the inner part of the assembly to the outside part. Hang on to both parts (a helper is handy at this point) then carefully unplug the wire connecting the batteris to the circuit board. Then you lift the outer part consisting of the actual mechanism out the door towards the outside.

Installation is a reverse of removal, be careful when you insert the wire connection making sure it is oriented properly. Put the two jamb screws in, don't tighten them yet. Then put the 4 that hold the halves together also just barely snug them. Also take care when you mate the inner and outer halves of the latch together that you don't pinch the wires. Then tighten the 2 jamb screws securely then go back and tighten the other 4. They gave me a new coach-side striker assembly but it was identical to what was already there so I didn't have to mess with that.

I got my spare keys directly from Bauer's website, you can order them pre-cut to your code.

As far as some other owner's longevity issues - do you have the latest model? It should have "AlSentist HSS" embossed to the right of the keypad. Bauer claims that latest model is reliable. If you have one that doesn't work email them your problem, perhaps they will send you a new one like they did me.
Rob would you have the AlSentis Part Number? Im seeing only one on their website, wondering if that is the one. We have the same coach and I'm back to having the same trouble with a new TriMark pad.

Thanks,

Terry
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbroussard View Post
Rob would you have the AlSentis Part Number? Im seeing only one on their website, wondering if that is the one. We have the same coach and I'm back to having the same trouble with a new TriMark pad.

Thanks,

Terry
Hey Terry!
I don't have a specific part number for the AlSentis, when I talked to Bauer (as mentioned earlier in the posts) they told me the replacement they were sending would indeed be an AlSentis unit. And it was, and has AlSentis HSS engraved to the right of the keypad itself. I'm sure if you called Bauer they could steer you in the right direction.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:24 PM   #17

Quote:
Hey Terry!

I don't have a specific part number for the AlSentis, when I talked to Bauer (as mentioned earlier in the posts) they told me the replacement they were sending would indeed be an AlSentis unit. And it was, and has AlSentis HSS engraved to the right of the keypad itself. I'm sure if you called Bauer they could steer you in the right direction.

Ok thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tjbroussard is offline   Reply With Quote