Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #21

when I was dealing with just the blown fuse behind the driver kick panel, yes they would retract with the step switch on. Problem was, we did not notice till we were on the road. We stopped, flipped swith to on and continued on our way. When the controller was out (first problem) the steps froze in the in position and would not move.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #22

If the steps have set for a while, spray white lithium grease on all the joints. They move easier when lubricated.
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:08 PM   #23

Just thought I'd add to this very helpful old thread. I was ready to give up on fixing the stairs until I read about the problems TX_Arvee was having. I was planning to manually fold and unfold the steps for our upcoming trip, but I decided to give it one more try...

I was able to remove "The Pin" pretty easily while lifting the steps, it slid out easily on my unit.

The Kwikee steps on our '06 Greyhawk 27D were stuck in the up position after sitting for several months. The truck battery had died, and I thought maybe that had something to do with the stuck stairs. I had charged the battery a few weeks ago, and it easily started the engine.

The stairs fix was to remove the three bolts holding the motor, then open and close the door. The motor came to life after that, which allowed the stairs to open suddenly (no binding there, watch your face when you're under there!). I put it back together about 3 times before I got it synch'd the way it was, and now it's working again. I'll get some spray grease anyway, it sure could use it.

Thanks for all the helpful tips. Great forum!

Jerry
JandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:59 AM   #24

Step motor & actuator replacement--not that difficult

I just replaced the step motor & actuator gearbox on my Greyhawk. I'm sure I saved several hundred $$ and several months in the shop. This forum & youtube videos like RV With Tito were huge helps, many thanks. My steps were going halfway in & halfway out, with grinding noise. After some fine tuning with my boot, the steps stuck retracted. This blocked the motor & gearbox so I had to pull the cotter pin & use a hammer & punch to drive out the clevis pin that connects the actuator arm to the steps. Stay clear, the steps are heavy & they drop right out when the clevis pin comes free.
The part numbers on my rig did not match anything on Amazon, but these fit perfectly:

Lippert Components 379147 Motor and Screws (For Kwikee IMGL Step) $81.43
Kwikee 379160 Gear Box Linkage with A $81.49

Motor has 3 x 10mm bolts that screw into the actuator gearbox, these are included with new motor. When I removed the motor, the small drive gear came out with it, but the gear is actually part of the actuator kit. The actuator gearbox is secured by 4 x 11mm nuts & washers. Save these because you don't get new ones. Be careful not to inadvertently push the bolts up into the frame. I guess they are carriage bolts but they are not held in place by anything, they're just hanging down by gravity. Ask me how I know. If you do lose one up on the frame plate, it really helps to have monkey-style arms to retrieve it--i.e. long, strong & skinny to reach completely around the steps. Unfortunately I don't but I got it to go back in somehow. Whole job took about an hour with result, perfect operation of steps. Mechanic comfort note: I put down a full-body length flattened cardboard box & old (clean) gardening knee cushion to prop my head on. You're looking & reaching straight up the whole time. Safety note: wear safety glasses & never put your face directly under the parts you're working on. I narrowly missed getting a greasy drive gear in my eye. Hope this helps somebody dreading this job. Good luck!
Old 06-02-2021, 03:03 AM   #25

Step motor & actuator replacement--not that difficult

Here are the pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
2018 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MVP Step Actuator 01.jpg   2018 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MVP Step Actuator 03.jpg   2018 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MVP Step Actuator 04.jpg   2018 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MVP Step Actuator 05.jpg   2018 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MVP Step Actuator 06.jpg  

2018 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MVP Step Actuator 07.jpg   2018 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MVP Step Motor 01.jpg  
Old 06-02-2021, 10:51 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW5AVRet View Post
like RV With Tito were huge helps, many thanks.

I did the same thing. Brian ("Tito") was a huge help!