Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2017, 03:13 PM   #1

Last couple pre-order questions

So the best price I found is from an out-of-state place called RV Direct (RV One). They were about $10,000+ cheaper than the local dealers within a couple hundred miles.

I have no problem flying out to pick it up and drive it home but my question is, will I find much resistance from the local authorized service center when it comes time to service the coach (because I didn't buy it from them)?

Also, any positive or negative feedback on RV Direct. My rep there has been very helpful and I'm hoping the rest of the deal goes as smoothly.

Can you tell I'm getting nervous now? I'm having pre-purchase jitters and I know no-one can speak for that but I'm hoping I'm as excited after I buy it as I am right now with anticipation.

Thanks,

2017 Greyhawk 29MV "Gandalf"
“Not all those who wander are lost.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
JonDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:24 PM   #2

I've used RV direct and so has my sister in law. We both had great experiences. Others on here have as well. If you search RV direct on here you'll find numerous threads.

As far as service. You'll get varying answers. Obviously no one can say what your local dealer will do. Most say you'll wait for service. Jayco can always authorize an independent shop for repairs also. For $10k+ I'd take my chances... good luck.
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:35 PM   #3

I live in NC and bought in Florida from RVOne.

$8000 less. Even having to drive down, spend the night, and drive the 5th wheel back, we saved $7400. Worth it to me. Same as you, no dealer within 250 miles would even come close.

RVOne in Orlando had done a through PDI, and didn't rush us at all as we looked things over and did a walk through. I took about 2-2&1/2 hours to go over the rig and that was fine with them. They helped setup the Reese Revolution pinbox for my hitch and all was well.

That said, my local dealer who acted like they were doing a favor to even bother talking to me about buying the rig before I purchased, were down right rude when I called t ask about an issue that developed a couple of months after we took delivery. I understand I might have to wait in line for their customers to be serviced first, but they wouldn't even take my name and number to call me when they had an opening. Told me I would have to call and ask weekly. Oddly enough, if I paid them their $125 an hour shop rate out of pocket, they could get me in in 2 days......

I called Jayco, and they authorized an independent shop to look at my issue immediately and that process went well.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:53 PM   #4

My thought has always been even if I have a service issue I don't want to go to a dealer that isn't decent anyway. I have a Jayco dealer about a 10 minute drive from my house. I've had nothing in the way of positive experience with them, so my Jayco will do the 200 mile trip to be serviced at a dealer I like anyway. I'd rather make sure I wasn't second guessing the quality of work done. The fact they price matched what I could find was great and the local dealer seemed to be much closer to MSRP and seem indignant if you suggested there was negotiation room in their price.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:54 PM   #5

I purchased my 2015 Jayco TT from Robersons RV in Salem, OR. They got within $2000 of the RV Direct price. For that difference I did not feel like driving >4000 miles to get the trailer. Maybe motorhomes are different though.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:56 PM   #6

I thought long and hard about buying from RVDirect - in the end we found a great deal on an 'almost new one' locally. And I too read a lot about "some dealers would" and "some dealers wouldn't..."

Which puzzles me - how would the dealer know???
If there's an "RVDirect" sticker on the back - pull it off.

And, why is this different from buying an RV in Wisconsin, then we relocate to Colorado and we'd like to get the RV serviced???

I think if a Dealer gave me ^&%%@# about where I bought a unit, I'd raise a stink to high heaven with him/her.

But - all that said, my approach now would be:
- if this is warranty work, can I get the unit to Jayco in Indiana?
- can I do the service myself? If so, I will. Because I read so many horror stories about bad dealer workmanship
- if I can't do it myself, ask around for an local, independent RV mechanic with a good reputation

Put more simply: I'd try to get warranty work done by Jayco and anything else done by some local guy who's dedicated to doing quality work.

I'd say save the $10K and buy it from RVOne/RVDirect
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:12 PM   #7

Talking

I bought my 29MV from RVone in Albany, NY. I had a great experience. I arrived early with my trade-in (2004 Greyhawk 27DS) so they gave me a car to use so I could get lunch. I got a good price for my trade-in and for the new Greyhawk. The PDI was 4 hours long. I had two pages of questions and a checklist. Previously my wife and I checked out all the cabinets, drawers and woodwork. I never felt rushed during the PDI. I left with a full tank of gas and full propane. I have not been back because RVone is almost 300 miles from home. I would not hesitate to use them again.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #8

Both of my 'local' Jayco dealers hold the same mantra: "If you don't buy it from us, you're dead last on our list to service. And if you have a problem during peak season, don't even bother calling us."

My local Camping World is abysmal. So that leaves me the hassle of doing the independent shop thing (if there is even one around me that could handle the work). I'm SOL for saving money w/ RVDirect.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Both of my 'local' Jayco dealers hold the same mantra: "If you don't buy it from us, you're dead last on our list to service. And if you have a problem during peak season, don't even bother calling us."

My local Camping World is abysmal. So that leaves me the hassle of doing the independent shop thing (if there is even one around me that could handle the work). I'm SOL for saving money w/ RVDirect.
Same holds true for Las Vegas, NV. I purchased my 2015 in California at the Pomona RV show and then retired a few months later and relocated to Las Vegas. When I attempted to take it to Johnny Walker RV they said that I'd have to wait at the end of the line and "maybe" they'd take it if none of their buyers came in. Was suppose to get a call back from the supervisor to schedule a service date and NEVER got that call. Tried a second time. Same response.

Now that I'm in Surprise, AZ, the local Jayco dealer took me in with no problem.

= 2 cents

Any man can treat a lady right for one night, but it takes a great man to treat her right for the rest of her life.
GrayHawk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI-Camper View Post
I bought my 29MV from RVone in Albany, NY. I had a great experience. I arrived early with my trade-in (2004 Greyhawk 27DS) so they gave me a car to use so I could get lunch. I got a good price for my trade-in and for the new Greyhawk. The PDI was 4 hours long. I had two pages of questions and a checklist. Previously my wife and I checked out all the cabinets, drawers and woodwork. I never felt rushed during the PDI. I left with a full tank of gas and full propane. I have not been back because RVone is almost 300 miles from home. I would not hesitate to use them again.
Wow. Sounds like a long PDI - very thorough. Nice to hear they take care of folks and lots of little extras such as full gas & propane. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:35 AM   #11

I ordered a new 2018 Seneca 37TS from RVone on February 6. They were $13K less than my best price and I called around the country. My local dealer would not even try to match the RVone price. Every dealer said the price was less than they paid. So either RVone is losing money on every deal and trying to make it up on volume or the other dealers are shooting for much higher profit. I am guessing all dealers pay about the same price from Jayco.

I asked my local dealer about service and he told me that their customers get preference in scheduling. He also said if someone had a problem where they were stranded they would work to get them on their way. I am hoping most dealers throughout the country would be like that.

I will do most small repairs myself and worst case scenario I figure I can buy a lot of service from an independent shop for $13,000.

My only complaint at this point is RVone told me it would be 8-12 weeks for delivery. It has been almost a week and a half and it's still not here. I mean come on, do they expect me to have patience? I want it now!!!
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:26 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I ordered a new 2018 Seneca 37TS from RVone on February 6. They were $13K less than my best price and I called around the country. My local dealer would not even try to match the RVone price. Every dealer said the price was less than they paid. So either RVone is losing money on every deal and trying to make it up on volume or the other dealers are shooting for much higher profit. I am guessing all dealers pay about the same price from Jayco.

I asked my local dealer about service and he told me that their customers get preference in scheduling. He also said if someone had a problem where they were stranded they would work to get them on their way. I am hoping most dealers throughout the country would be like that.

I will do most small repairs myself and worst case scenario I figure I can buy a lot of service from an independent shop for $13,000.

My only complaint at this point is RVone told me it would be 8-12 weeks for delivery. It has been almost a week and a half and it's still not here. I mean come on, do they expect me to have patience? I want it now!!!
Congratulations Mark - that's awesome! I feel your pain as they mentioned the same time-frame to me as well. It could be June before I get the rig. I just got off the phone with my RV One rep and he's going to make one last check to see if they have the one I want in inventory anywhere.

I guess I'll cross the "servicing" road when I come to it. Worst case, many posters have mentioned contacting Jayco and getting a local shop authorized to work on it. My local dealer was very cordial about it but mentioned the same thing regarding "their customers first" when it comes to scheduling. We'll see what happens.

I should have an order placed before the end of the day. Woo-hoo.

Old 02-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #13

Good luck. Keep us posted on your order progress.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:35 PM   #14

It's ordered! I faxed back the "easy delivery checklist" this morning so I should be getting it in 6-10 weeks.

I ordered the Greyhawk 29MV with front entertainment center, (2) 11000 btu a/c's, 12cf refrigerator, in Cappuccino interior, and Ocean Blue exterior graphics.

Now the miserably long wait...

Old 02-18-2017, 12:58 AM   #15

I feel your pain brother.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:44 AM   #16

Quote:
I feel your pain brother.
Congratulations on your purchase. I hate ordering vehicles because I have no patience, I want it now! Unfortunately we could not find any Senecas with theatre seating with colors DW wanted. At least by ordering we get exactly what we want that Jayco thinks we should have an option on 😄

Good luck and keep us posted on your order progress. I am now waiting for a "born on" date.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:50 AM   #17

Congrats on getting the order in. Within a week of placing the order they should be able to give you an expected build date. It's not a guaranteed build date but will give you an idea. I spent the 6 weeks ordering stuff for the new camper so it wasn't a bad wait...
Old 02-18-2017, 08:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
Congrats on getting the order in. Within a week of placing the order they should be able to give you an expected build date. It's not a guaranteed build date but will give you an idea. I spent the 6 weeks ordering stuff for the new camper so it wasn't a bad wait...
Monday will be 2 weeks from my order with no "expected born on" date.

I am going from a toy hauler TT to a motor home so I have a lot of changes in store. And none them too cheap
Old 02-18-2017, 08:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Monday will be 2 weeks from my order with no "expected born on" date.

I am going from a toy hauler TT to a motor home so I have a lot of changes in store. And none them too cheap

Have you called your salesperson? My sales lady was awesome. I called her and got the expected build date the week after I placed my order if I'm not mistaken. I believe she emailed me the build sheet and it was on that. When it got close to the build date, I called her a few times to see if it changed. She was always helpful and pleasant on the phone. She never made me feel like I was bothering her...
Old 02-18-2017, 08:56 AM   #20

I am working with a saleswomen named Sandy, and yes, so far she has been great. On Friday she told me it takes about 2 weeks to get a build date.