Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2016, 07:11 AM   #1

Leveling Question

Hey Gang,

I'm re-evaluating how many leveling blocks I need to carry with me. I'm wondering if I'm doing it wrong.

My Bigfoots often want to level me out by putting my front tires in the air. At least one of them. I've found that putting my system in 'auto' mode makes this happen more frequently than not. I can avoid some of this by manually leveling my rig, however often times my front tire(s) are still up or barely touching.

So I've accepted that I need to use leveling blocks even though I have automatic levelers.

Currently I have 4 motorhome Hosspads to place under my leveling jacks. If I think the jack is going to need a lot of its throw, I'll put a couple Lynx blocks on top of the Hosspad. I like my Hosspads b/c they don't sink easily.

That leaves my tires. If I'm on a site (like 2 weeks ago) where the slope grades to the side and down to the front, my coach will have one side off (or mostly off) the ground; I'm not a fan of that by any means at all.

So lets count blocks. 3" of rise with the Lynx levelers just to do one side means I need 6 Lynx blocks per tire. Three tires to a side - 18 blocks. That's 2 packs right there now counting what's on my hosspads. So 3 packs of Lynx easy. If I need the extra inch we're talking 10 blocks per tire, 3 tires, 30 blocks. Not counting what's on my Hosspads. 4 bags of levelers.

I keep reading how most folks make due with one or two bags of blocks. What am I missing? In the case where you are fixing a compound slope, are you guys just addressing the front end lift and letting the levelers handle the side to side? I've got bags of levelers all over the place !

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:26 AM   #2

One of these gets me close to 4". Anybody using this?

Amazon.com: Camco 44573 Yellow Tri-Leveler: Automotive

Amazon has good reviews of it from people who have motorhomes. According to the Camco website each one is rated for 4k pounds; easily enough to handle the front end or the back end (paired up obviously).

Tri-Leveler - Camco

Old 06-09-2016, 10:24 AM   #3

We have 2 sets of "Lego" leveling block sets that we use - and all that has been needed thus far. If the auto-level needs to raise the front wheel(s) off as it sometimes does, we retract all, backup MH and drive onto necessary block(s), then re-level. I would rather take this extra step rather than leave the wheels off the ground. We also carry 4 x "2 x 10" boards (each about 15" long) in our coach for extra leveling or if ground is mushy (good for jacks or wheels). Doesn't take up much space, but offers great piece of mind if needed.

You may want to also re-calibrate the leveling system which is quite simple. This may aid in the whole process.

Wife wants a near perfectly level coach when camped... so I do what I have to do!
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:02 AM   #4

We use the Anderson 3604's and love them, just pull in and drive up on them till level. No monkeying around with boards or how many Lego blocks to use. Most of the time I am level in less than a minute as TW puts the levelers under the tires.

Sorry, posted this and then saw I was on motorhome site not TT..... My apology
UpNorthMGOBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorthMGOBLUE View Post
We use the Anderson 3604's and love them, just pull in and drive up on them till level. No monkeying around with boards or how many Lego blocks to use. Most of the time I am level in less than a minute as TW puts the levelers under the tires.
For a motorhome? I've read they are too skinny for a motorhome's tires.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:50 AM   #6

Sorry, I just noticed I was on wrong page....
UpNorthMGOBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:22 AM   #7

Taking your wheels off the ground places alot of strain on the frame ! Slides will not align correctly. I made a couple of "ramps", you could call them. 3 foot, 2 foot and 1 foot peices of 2x10. Cut them at an angle and screwed them together like a step. Gets the up 4.5 inches on the top. If needed my campground always has boards on hand if I need more height. Work great !!!
2012 Jayco Skylark (SOLD)
adaigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:05 AM   #8

Anybody else carrying lots of bags of blocks? I'm still trying to find a way to lose a bag or two but I can't seem to - every season I end up at one campground where I use most of them !

Old 03-14-2019, 11:28 AM   #9

If the site is very unlevel, then my front wheels (or the rear wheels) will be off the ground and I leave it that way. In 5 years I've had no slide problems. I carry four two 2x8x12 boards to use as jack pads if the two jacks (either front or rear) reach max extension and still need a few inches to reach level. Again, 5 years with no issues.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:48 AM   #10

I carry a cut 4x6, 2x4's, and a couple 3/4 inch squares for each leveler. I build it up to the bottom of the jack pad. My jacks usually don't deploy more than a few inches if the site is fairly level. It works good for me, plus I feel it takes run time/wear and tear off the system.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote