Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2015, 07:17 AM   #1

leveling vs stabalizing

I’m trying to decide if hydraulic levelers are worth the $4,000 extra on the new motor home I’m thinking of buying (Redhawk vs Greyhawk). Do hydraulic levelers also stabilize a motor home and do you need them to do that? Right now I can just drive up ramps to get my travel trailer level and they cost practically nothing. I do however want to eliminate the rocking my TT gets without it's jacks down.
tawoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:45 AM   #2

Hydraulic jacks level and stabilize. The rocking motion you experienced in your trailer is due primarily to the fact that you are resting on your tires which flex. The hyraulic jacks raise the vehicle up enough to become the main resting points as well as providing a leveling effect. Whether they are worth the 4 grand is a financial decision. Personally, I would go for it on a new rig: convenience, worry-free leveling, attractive plus if and when you ever sell it. Hope this helps.
Widewader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 08:46 AM   #3

In my opinion I'm Not sure having hydraulic jacks versus the manual jacks would solve your problem with rocking. So to me it wouldn't be worth $4000. I have never used these before but they might be a cheaper option to solve the rocking problem.

Universal RV Stabilizer - Valterra 020106 - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World

Maybe others can comment if the additional stabilizers would would work. I have seen where people used 2 of these. One at the back and the other along the side near the middle.
jayfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:15 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I guess I should have phrased my question differently:

In a TT because the wheels are close together in the center jacks are a must. However, in motor home the wheels are further apart. Does a motor home rock without jacks/stabilizers?
Old 02-27-2015, 10:42 AM   #5

A tt shakes alot more then the motor home. But the big foot system is worth the extra money. Just push one button and perfectly level and rock solid. When you are ready to leave push the button again and you are done. i have read a few posts from red hawk owners looking to install them after the fact i think it cost a bit more.
Greyhawk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #6

$75,000 quoted for a 2015 Greyhawk with levelers, side cameras, Nav, Jayride plus.
$63,000 for the Redhawk with none of the above options.
I can't decide what to do...
Old 02-27-2015, 05:20 PM   #7

The DW and I have been retired for six years and winter in the SW four to five months a year . From our experience with friends that have them they love them. It does help with the stabilizing but not 100% . I have a pinnacle fifth wheel that as soon as the miserable weather breaks her in Michigan I am heading down to White Pigeon to have a 6pt bigfoot system installed . I would also think a system would help the resale value also .
Clayton4971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:52 PM   #8

Greyhawk

My wife and I have the 2015 Greyhawk 29MV with the levelers. The only drawback we have found is that the jacks themselves limit your ground clearance to 7-8". You need to be careful in sloping driveways and parking spots (ask me why I know this!!)
FYI- paid 74k at the Hershey show.
sfergie631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawoo View Post
$75,000 quoted for a 2015 Greyhawk with levelers, side cameras, Nav, Jayride plus.
$63,000 for the Redhawk with none of the above options.
I can't decide what to do...
I f you can afford it go with the Greyhawk, you will be happier with the added equipment and resale may be better.JMO
Old 02-27-2015, 08:10 PM   #10

When we ordered our MH we got the hydraulic jacks/leveling systems and to me they were worth ever penny. If it was raining just sit in the drivers seat and after a couple minutes ... it's done. We could pick the front end off the ground if we need to (the salesman did but I never did) but once lifted and level it as very stable. Plus we had no trouble with them.
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:25 PM   #11

I got the Bigfoot level system installed as part of the deal. I think I beat them up a bit on the total price?? You park it, push a couple of buttons, and in a minute you are all set. It's great of your older. Still get a little wiggle, but not much.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 07:49 AM   #12

$74K? Hummmm, I may have to go back and sharpen my pencil. It sounds like I definitely should spend the extra $$ and go with the Greyhawk.
This unit with the Jayride extras claim to be the best driving motor home. You folks that have one how does it drive? Is it still white knuckle when trucks pass?
Old 02-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawoo View Post
$74K? Hummmm, I may have to go back and sharpen my pencil. It sounds like I definitely should spend the extra $$ and go with the Greyhawk.
This unit with the Jayride extras claim to be the best driving motor home. You folks that have one how does it drive? Is it still white knuckle when trucks pass?
Find the discussion about the hellwig springs needing adjustment. I adjusted mine to 2" gap and it made a big difference in handling.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:18 PM   #14

Hi Tawoo,

We looked both the Redhawk and the Grayhawk. We chose the Redhawk specifically because of the things that it didn't have... We didn't want the tank-less water heater, the navigation system or the side cameras, and also didn't want the levelers. They added about a quarter ton of extra weight, lowered the ground clearance, and added the complexity of an added hydraulic system. Not to mention the added cost.

The Redhawk cost us about 12,000.00 less than the Grayhawk, and weighed considerably less.

We've had a leveling system before, and seldom used it... most commercial campground paved or improved gravel sites are quite level, and for the few that were not, we just put a leveler under one wheel.

As for motion, it's not like a trailer where you feel everything if you don't have the jacks down... we've experienced no perceptible movement in the Redhawk.

Whatever you decide, be safe and have fun!!
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDad View Post
Find the discussion about the hellwig springs needing adjustment. I adjusted mine to 2" gap and it made a big difference in handling.
Same here. Passing semi's are not an issue like before.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote