Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-13-2017, 09:48 PM   #1

Loose Body Panel on Seneca

I've just discovered a loose body panel on my 2014 Seneca, right behind the cab on the passenger side. I can probably come up with a few ways to secure, but have no clue how it was secured from the factory. Can anybody take a look at theirs and let me know what they see that I'm missing?

Loose panel from the outside:

Two screws going into panel, but don't appear to secure to anything:

Thanks in advance!
Spot10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:58 PM   #2

Looks like they ran self tap screws thru frame into panel frame that is softer and they stripped threads
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:22 PM   #3

Well... you sparked my curiosity... and went out and looked. We have the 2015 FK model and ours does not even have any screws, bolts or NOTHING that holds this panel in place. Yes i pulled it at the bottom and did not like what I found. (and we leave on a very important trip tomorrow early AM)
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:30 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to JOEA Send a message via MSN to JOEA Send a message via Yahoo to JOEA
I've got the same thing, rear panel driver's side. 2 sheet metal screws ripped out from the side of the panel. Took photos to document for warranty item. Also found large screw head pushing up through the floor, center of coach outside bath of TS.
JOEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 06:05 AM   #5

I have repaired several on mine, it seems Jayco used steel screws into the aluminum square tubing that frames these exterior panels. The screws rust, the aluminum corrodes, the screws pull out, the panel rattles and in some cases even fly up in the wind! Both of the panels just forward of the rear tires have done that on mine.

To repair I have inserted rivnuts into the aluminum tubing then used stainless steel bolts Loctited into the rivnuts. Used stainless washers to properly space the panels so that the panel lines up with the compartment or panel next to it. So far they are staying put.

Below is a picture of a rivnut, you also need the tool to affix them in place. I have used them for several applications in my Seneca and on my other projects.
Attached Images

Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:01 AM   #6

I've been fighting my passenger side at the steps, just as you have. I have been considering using well nuts on mine since they are rubber and would expand to fit over the corroded mess that the factory left us.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:20 PM   #7

I have this problem on my 2015 behind the passenger door.. all the screws have striped out along that edge.. could we use rivits to hold it back together again? and then silicone the moulding back down? This is an ongoing problem
sudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 12:22 PM   #8

could one use rivits on this.. the screws all pulled out along the passenger side behind the door..
sudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 06:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudio View Post
could one use rivits on this.. the screws all pulled out along the passenger side behind the door..

Are you talking about the strip that runs vertical up the side where the fiberglass nose section meets the wall? This seems pretty common and there are many threads about it.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...eam-70877.html

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:50 PM   #10

I'm perplexed. How do you get such a large nut into the alum frame? Do you then put the ss bolt in from the inside of the coach? Could you show us in a picture what the outside of the coach looks like with the rivnuts installed? I'm sorry that I'm not grasping this repair, but I'm anxious to know how to accurately fix this issue.
Damian
dneeld52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:54 PM   #11

I have had the same issue. If you look behind the panel you will see a piece of aluminum tubing attached to the panel; in front of the tubing you will see a steel frame. The rivnuts will be installed into the aluminum tubing to add additional threads. The bolt then goes through the steel frame into the rivnut. Hope this helps.
SanTanSeneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:03 PM   #12

Every few days of travel I take my RV Wash Wax and go around wiping each panel for a quick clean up. Besides making the Seneca look better, I put my hands on most body parts which helps me find loose parts and other issues.

I carry several sizes of stainless screws which I have to use quite frequently. Nature of the beast I guess.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote