Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2017, 10:05 AM   #1

Low Point Drains

I have 2 Low Point Drains in my cargo area. What are these for and do I need to do something with them? 2015 Jayco Melbourne 29D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Samsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:21 AM   #2

Low point drains are used to drain all water out of the lines and tanks. This is usually in preparation for winter weather so pipes won't freeze and burst.

It can also be used prior to repairs on lines and shutoffs, hot water heaters, etc.

It is also a good place to use to flush out in old water, bleach, etc. before use after RV has sat for a while such as first trip after storage.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:25 AM   #3

I have no specific knowledge of the Melbourne, but usually the low point drains are the lowest point for RVs water lines. They are usually closed and opened as part of the winterizing process to drain water from the lines.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:14 PM   #4

Ok thanks for your responses! Something I need not wiorry about fior now! Thank goodness! I have enough other things to figure out!
Old 07-10-2017, 05:32 AM   #5

I usually open all 3 of mine when I'm breaking camp so the lines & tanks will drain good coming home, then close 'em when I get home.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 06:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
I usually open all 3 of mine when I'm breaking camp so the lines & tanks will drain good coming home, then close 'em when I get home.

Perfect. That sounds logical. I will add it to my strike list [emoji106]

2015 Jayco Melbourne 29 D

Old 07-10-2017, 06:11 AM   #7

I have 2 low point drains. I only open one of them on the way out of camp (if dry camping). One of them is in the back corner of the camper near the water heater. I guess it might drain the water heater but it would do a better job pulling the plug if it isn't going to be used for a while. So I normally don't mess with that one.

The other one however is up in front of my rear axles near the fresh water tank. If you have two FW tanks that might explain the 3rd one. I am not sure on your model. Anyhow this second one near my FW tank is the drain for that tank. I do open that one if I had filled the tank when dry camping. There is no reason to carry all that weight on the way home. This will drain out the tank and keep a partial tank from sloshing around.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sennister View Post
I have 2 low point drains. I only open one of them on the way out of camp (if dry camping). One of them is in the back corner of the camper near the water heater. I guess it might drain the water heater but it would do a better job pulling the plug if it isn't going to be used for a while. So I normally don't mess with that one.

The other one however is up in front of my rear axles near the fresh water tank. If you have two FW tanks that might explain the 3rd one. I am not sure on your model. Anyhow this second one near my FW tank is the drain for that tank. I do open that one if I had filled the tank when dry camping. There is no reason to carry all that weight on the way home. This will drain out the tank and keep a partial tank from sloshing around.

Great Info! Thank You!

2015 Jayco Melbourne 29 D