Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-30-2016, 10:16 PM   #1

Major door security problem

So I noticed something today on my RV. When I was getting in my main door, I noticed that when the door was closed, I was able to see deadbolt and latch in the bracket on the frame side of the door. Low and behold, I just took a random car key (any random point object will do, I just had a key on me) a was able to put the key into the hole on the backside of the bracket and push the deadbolt back into the lock. Had the door open in about 3 seconds. Now the door is flush on the inside...so I know it cant close anymore. I submitted a picture of this and questions to Jayco, I am hoping they will get back to me before I bring it into the dealer on Friday for a few other things. I seriously doubt the dealer will know how to fix this problem.

Not sure why the pictures are rotated 90 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2889.jpg   IMG_2888.jpg  
Old 12-01-2016, 09:36 AM   #2

On my RV when the dead bolt is extended all the way the bolt cannot be pushed back it locks in place... open your door put the DB all the way out and try ... if you can push it back you may also have a defective lock..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
On my RV when the dead bolt is extended all the way the bolt cannot be pushed back it locks in place... open your door put the DB all the way out and try ... if you can push it back you may also have a defective lock..
x2,
Once you open the RV door and test of the dead bolt, if it can't be pushed back, then the hole in the frame does not allow your dead bolt to extend fully.

On another note, after checking my door. The door itself has a frame lip all the way around which prevents the ability of seeing the deadbolt and latch mechanism like in the pictures posted.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:21 PM   #4

Well when I first read this post last year I checked the gap on the back of the strike plate, sure enough you could see the end of the deadbolt. I tried pushing on it and it would allow me to push it in. This was after locking the door with the keypad, I found if the door is not pushed in completely, the deadbolt will not deploy to the fully locked position. If you lock from the inside or with the key the deadbolt locks correctly. Anyhow finally, I got around to welding a small piece of metal to the back of the strike plate to close the gap, hiding the deadbolt from prying eyes. We know if one wants to gain access they will.
Attached Thumbnails
DoorLatchFix.jpg   DoorLatchFix1.jpg  
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2019 Silverado High Country 4x4 Crew Cab
Australian Cattle dogs Zan & Tre
ed4ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRoRyan View Post
...I submitted a picture of this and questions to Jayco, I am hoping they will get back to me before I bring it into the dealer on Friday for a few other things. I seriously doubt the dealer will know how to fix this problem. ...
Did you ever get any feedback from the photo you submitted to jayco?
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 09:54 PM   #6

Long story on that one. I had it at the dealer and they were supposed to adjust it to make it work right and lock right. When I got it back it still did not work. I called their management to figure out what was going on. She was sorry and had a porter actually come pickup the unit from my house to correct the problem. Later that day, I got a call that it was done. I get to it and see that the deadbolt is still visible. Now this is technically not a problem as long as the lock will go out ALL THE WAY when using the code to lock it. This does not happen all the time. They said they solved it by using Lithium Ion batteries instead of the Duracell ProCell's that I had in there...which were only about a month old. Now I tested it when I got it back and it did work...for about 3 days or so and then it went back to its same old stuff. I did notice that they used some graphite on the lock so my guess is that the graphite was helping it and it finally rubbed enough of it away that it stopped working again. I was done with my dealer and Jayco was already aware of the problem. When I called Jayco they were understanding of my problem and agreed that I most likely have a bad lock...especially since the lock won't wake up like it should. They were amenable to sending me a new lock directly to my house and having me swap it out since I didn't want to deal with the dealer anymore. I recieved it last night but have yet to swap it out...most likely a this weekend thing. Once I swap it out, I will let you know the results.

FYI, I do like the welded cover idea...I may have to duplicate your idea.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Long story on that one. I had it at the dealer and they were supposed to adjust it to make it work right and lock right. When I got it back it still did not work. I called their management to figure out what was going on. She was sorry and had a porter actually come pickup the unit from my house to correct the problem. Later that day, I got a call that it was done. I get to it and see that the deadbolt is still visible. Now this is technically not a problem as long as the lock will go out ALL THE WAY when using the code to lock it. This does not happen all the time. They said they solved it by using Lithium Ion batteries instead of the Duracell ProCell's that I had in there...which were only about a month old. Now I tested it when I got it back and it did work...for about 3 days or so and then it went back to its same old stuff. I did notice that they used some graphite on the lock so my guess is that the graphite was helping it and it finally rubbed enough of it away that it stopped working again. I was done with my dealer and Jayco was already aware of the problem. When I called Jayco they were understanding of my problem and agreed that I most likely have a bad lock...especially since the lock won't wake up like it should. They were amenable to sending me a new lock directly to my house and having me swap it out since I didn't want to deal with the dealer anymore. I recieved it last night but have yet to swap it out...most likely a this weekend thing. Once I swap it out, I will let you know the results.

FYI, I do like the welded cover idea...I may have to duplicate your idea.
Had the same issue... CW replaced the lock and it works great now.

If you find you are in this situation - use the key to lock it so that the bolt travels all the way into the "lock position" and you will feel safe until the unit is replaced.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:19 PM   #8

Exactly what happened. Cw never thought the lock was at fault so I contacted jayco directly. They shipped me a lock and it works flawlessly. Even has the new feature which also locks the paddle as well as the deadbolt.
Old 03-13-2017, 09:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Exactly what happened. Cw never thought the lock was at fault so I contacted jayco directly. They shipped me a lock and it works flawlessly. Even has the new feature which also locks the paddle as well as the deadbolt.
What brand/model lock did they send you? I have the (older) Bauer EM and the paddle does not latch, only the deadbolt. I miss having a latching paddle like my last Class C did.

Thanks!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:13 AM   #10

The new version of the lock...same name (Bauer EM with Alsentis) locks the paddle. Interesting is that I still dont have the ability to "wake it up" by putting my fingers next to the buttons. But that does not bother me, I just make sure I press the bottom button (the lock symbol) first to wake it up and then enter my code and I am in business.