Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-17-2013, 11:02 PM   #1

Master Battery Disconnect Switch - HELP!

I've just bought a 2006 Greyhawk 31SS and I'm trying to figure out some of the systems and several items in the owner's manual. I'm puzzled about an entry concerning the Master Battery Disconnect Switch. The switch itself is a mystery, too. As for the switch, it doesn't "click" when it's pushed in. When pushed and released, it simply returns to the original position without giving any indication as to whether anything has happened. Is this normal? With the coach battery providing the sole power for the house lights, I pushed the disconnect switch several times, with no effect on the lights. Is that an indication a problem?

As for the journal entry, the following is puzzling and provides little help: "This momentary switch controls a latching type solenoid (located near the coach battery), which connects or disconnects the “coach” battery dependent upon the number of times it is pushed." What the heck does that mean? How many times does it take to have an effect on the "coach" battery? One? Two? Three? When the switch gives no indication of "on" or "off" or anything else, how do you know whether or not you have effected the battery?

Anybody got any ideas? Am I missing an obvious answer to the question?
Widewader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #2

What you describe is called a latching relay. It requires a single pulse of current to change state. State means on or off. Every push of the control switch yields a single change of state.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:52 AM   #3

Sounds like a problem. The lights should not work with the battery disconnected via this switch. Most of the switches make a noise as you hear the solanoid when pressed. I would check all the connections around the battery and solanoid. Also check the fuses that are located behind the batteries and by the solenoid. I would bet the solanoid switch is bad and has failed in the on position. Since you said you "just bought it" I would not rule out some modification by others. If someone has jacked with it, you may have to get someone to look at it to ensure it is wired properly.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:40 PM   #4

My old MH had a bad disconnect selinoid in it. We pulled into an RV campground well after dark one time. None of the coach lights would come on. The quick fix was to run a jumper from one side of selinoid to the other side. Lights came on fine. I went shopping the next day for a new selinoid, bought it, replaced it, and all was well again.

When I hit the disconnect button, you could hear the click of he selinoid real well, when it was working. When it was not working, no click at all.
Stevefaync is offline   Reply With Quote