Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-09-2017, 01:35 PM   #1

Mattress Topper

I have a 2017 Grayhawk with the shout queen Denver mattress. The mattress is very hard, any suggestions on a good mattress topper that would fit the short radius coner mattress we have.
Ljnasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 04:53 PM   #2

We also have the short queen with rounded corners in our Greyhawk 29mv and bought a $39 -3" topper off ebay. Yes it is longer at rounded corners but used a mattress cover with elastic that rounds it down around the corners and works just fine. Most sheet sets are a little bigger on the smaller queen so it all just works.
DGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:41 PM   #3

I purchased this for my TT and DW and I are extremely happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 3" of ventilated gel memory foam adds softness and pressure-relieving comfort to your mattress
  • Special memory foam formula is extremely soft, airy and responsive
  • Ventilated design improves airflow for a more comfortable sleep climate
  • Memory foam is infused with a plush gel material that captures heat to control temperature
  • Queen size mattress topper measures 60" x 80"
Drolaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 06:12 PM   #4

Thanks , we will try the 3" Lucid topper. The Denver mattress is like a brick to sleep on.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #5

Bought a topper from Costco and cut the length to fit.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:04 PM   #6

What kind did you buy?
Old 07-09-2017, 07:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljnasa View Post
What kind did you buy?
It was a 3" memory foam. Sorry, don't remember the brand. Costco usually has only one brand of topper on the floor at a time.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:39 PM   #8

Ok thanks
Old 07-10-2017, 08:19 AM   #9

We started with a Sealy branded foam topper from Kohls. Wife liked it, I hated it. Made my aching joints ache all that much more...

We looked around for a long time, for a "radius corner, short queen" that we could actually try out. That was really an exercise in Snipe Hunting. Even short queens were non-existent up here.

We finally bailed on the whole thing and bought a nice Simmons Full Sized mattress. We lost 5" in width but the length is right. And its a residential mattress.

Giving up on the queen width; being willing to go down to a full sized mattress was the key for us. We could now go to any mattress store and try them all out.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:33 AM   #10

We own a 2017 Melbourne 24L and the mattress designed for this RV is very hard as well. Before retracting the slide, the mattress is folded up (the mattress is designed to fold) before retracting the slide. Has anyone who added a memory foam cover to their mattress had any issues with the memory foam topper folding? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thank you.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 06:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljnasa View Post
I have a 2017 Grayhawk with the shout queen Denver mattress. The mattress is very hard, any suggestions on a good mattress topper that would fit the short radius coner mattress we have.
We have the Denver mattress on our 2018 29 MV. It is unacceptably hard, so we purchased a Serta 3" 4 Lb gel foam topper. The 4 lb is a bit firmer but adds a great deal of cushion to the bed. Yes, the topper is square but it can be cut to the contour of the rounded bed. Put the topper on the mattress and use a felt tip pen to draw the outline of the matters on the topper. Now use your electric cutting knife, yes your electric turkey knife and cut along the outline. It makes a perfect cut and the the topper and matters have the same curve. Oh, and we sleep well on it.
rodpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaras7 View Post
We own a 2017 Melbourne 24L and the mattress designed for this RV is very hard as well. Before retracting the slide, the mattress is folded up (the mattress is designed to fold) before retracting the slide. Has anyone who added a memory foam cover to their mattress had any issues with the memory foam topper folding? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thank you.
I have a 2016 and unless they figured out they screwed up the hard mattress will not be your only issue. The foot of the bed is thicker than the head to compensate for the step down in the slide base. The head or thinner part over hangs the step down by 8". This leaves about a 8" x 2-3/4" gap under the mattress where it folds. After about 5 nights we thought there was a big lump in the mattress so we threw a 2" topper on it but same issue. It turns out to be a big dip at that gap. Here is the response from Jacob at the factory.

"Thank you for the picture. This is actually by design because it is a foldable mattress this is something that is going to happen. What I would recommend for the customer would to be to get a mattress topper to help out with this. Like I mentioned though because this is a foldable mattress this is actually by design but we have had people get a mattress topper and it has seemed to help resolve this for them."

This email came yesterday and I am waiting on his response to my reply. I will start a new thread with the final out come but a 2" topper will fold up in the bed when the slide is in. If this is an issue with you as well I encourage you to complain and if we don't get satisfaction maybe they will see the light and redesign the bed for future units instead of as I believe use a bed designed for another model.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:15 AM   #13

Pfflyer, thank you for the information. This is helpful and good to know. The 24L does not have step down but we will check out the issue with the different thickness with the mattress. Also appreciate your confirming that the mattress will fold up just fine with the topper.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:31 AM   #14

The problem you may find is that everyone has a different need or desire when it comes to how hard or soft a mattress should be. I am not saying you should run out and buy a $2000 Select Comfort and while we don't have one in the camper we do have one in the house. The point is that yes, I agree that the default mattress is very firm. Some may like it. But as far as what to buy for it you may just have to try some. We added a 3" cooling foam mattress topper. I know we looked at Costco and Kohls for sure. I want to say we went with one from Kohls because she had some discount or something. She still thought it was hard and went and got another one somewhere. So we have something like 6" of foam. I think it is getting on the too soft side now but she likes it better. Maybe we should have just gotten another Select Comfort and been done with it.