Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2017, 12:04 PM   #1

Melbourne 24L, to tow or not?

We have a new 2017 Melbourne 24L. We would like to travel and sightsee without a tow car. Any suggestions from those with experience?. Have you had to skip sights because of lack of parking facilities? Do you find unhooking every day an inconvenience? We thought we could rent a car if we were in a big city and wanted to stay a few days? Your experiences appreciated.
freetoroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 03:50 PM   #2

Thanks for asking this question. My wife and I just purchased our Melbourne 24L and have the same question, especially since we will be doing an extended trip in September and then next year to Alaska.
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:27 PM   #3

I haven't towed anything yet, but based on my observations at CG's and while on the road:
If you tow 4 down, then most CG sites have room for you to park your toad in front of your MH, or close at least.

If you tow with a dolly, you will need to find a place to park the dolly, I've seen them stuck/slid up under the MH in front, in back, in a side lot or empty site inside the CG. If the CG is not busy (we've camped at a KOA where there were maybe 20 sites rented in the off season), they probably won't care where as long as you would move it if needed.

I've never seen a CG that did not have some space open for parking dollies/trailers, etc., as a lot of RV'rs pull their toys & cars with them, but I'm sure there are some that don't have any space available.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 06:42 PM   #4

We do both. It is nice to just shut off the water and go sight seeing or out to eat. On long trips we have been lucky that either public transportation or tours picked us up direct from the campground so we left the toad at home. When we have ventured out from the campsite in the Melbourne we have missed out on some restaurants and some good sight seeing because of lack of adequate parking but it hasn't been too big of an issue.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:55 PM   #5

As far as unhooking while flat towing I have never timed it but it is four pins to remove and it takes maybe 1 minute to do.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:06 PM   #6

Pfflyer, thanks for the input on the towing in a Melbourne. What kind of vehicle have you towed? How big an impact has it had on your mileage?
Old 07-20-2017, 06:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaras7 View Post
Pfflyer, thanks for the input on the towing in a Melbourne. What kind of vehicle have you towed? How big an impact has it had on your mileage?
2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder. It weighs about 2,000lbs and I take about a 1mpg hit towing it.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:52 AM   #8

If you don't tow a vehicle, at least take bicycles.
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 08:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
If you don't tow a vehicle, at least take bicycles.
For us it depends on the destination and how far away. We take 2 7-10 day long trips (sometimes 2 or 3 day travel time to the destination) and about 10 long weekend trips (usually 2-6 hours drive) a year. If it is a short trip and in the mountains we leave the bikes at home and take the car. Beach destinations we have done either or but I recently purchased a dual receiver adapter where as I can do both now. I have been hesitant to bring the toad on our farther destinations because being that far away it is one less thing to go wrong (4 more tires that can go flat or break down). So far our long trips have been at campgrounds with public transportation and or tour group pick ups at the campground. I am not a fan of either as a mode of transportation but in a tour group we learned more and seen some things we would not have thought of if we did it on our own so I am becoming a fan. We have an up coming trip to Bar Harbor this fall. Our campground has a free trolley to town but we may end up picking up a rental car in Bangor on the way in. If you like staying at State or National parks a toad or rental car may be your best choice.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:59 AM   #10

We always tow. We would have missed out many times had we not had our Jeep with us. We love touring national parks, and some have loops that aren't appropriate for even our small motorhome. We watch the rental motorhomes like Leprechaun having to hook up and then unhook everytime they go anywhere, and it seems like a huge inconvenience. I'm sure our mileage suffers a bit, but we get between 13 and 15 (depending on the wind). In places like Santa Fe with very narrow roads, it makes me want to bite my nails at the thought of taking our motorhome into town. We've never had a problem where to park our toad. Bottom line, it depends on how you use your RV and where you plan to take it. For us, we need to tow. By the way, having a tow trailer/dolly was out of the question.
1980 Shasta 21; 1981 Coleman Tent Trailer
1978 VW Westfalia; lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 10:47 AM   #11

Thanks to everyone for the very helpful suggestions. We appreciate the various viewpoints and it seems there's no right answer. I think we need to take a couple of trips and then decide if it's worth it for us to tow. We have a Jeep Liberty that we could flat tow, but we thought it might be a bit big/heavy to tow behind the Melbourne. It will be a learning experience. Thanks again.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:20 AM   #12

You have a 5000 lb tow limit but you have to watch the combined max weight as well.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #13

Pfflyer, yes concerned with the weight, and we would need a supplemental braking system for the tow car as well I assume.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetoroam View Post
Pfflyer, yes concerned with the weight, and we would need a supplemental braking system for the tow car as well I assume.
If you are towing a Jeep most likely. Here is a list of states and their laws about flat towing and supplemental braking.
https://rvibrake.com/pages/towing-law

My state is 3000 lbs or more you need supplemental brakes. My toad weighs right at 2000lbs.
Old 07-20-2017, 03:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
If you are towing a Jeep most likely. Here is a list of states and their laws about flat towing and supplemental braking.
https://rvibrake.com/pages/towing-law

My state is 3000 lbs or more you need supplemental brakes. My toad weighs right at 2000lbs.
Pfflyer, thanks for the link. That is very helpful. Do you tow your vehicle on your Alaska trip? Just curious about any Canadian restrictions.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaras7 View Post
Pfflyer, thanks for the link. That is very helpful. Do you tow your vehicle on your Alaska trip? Just curious about any Canadian restrictions.
I haven't been to Canada or Alaska yet. I am about 5-10 years away before I can take more than 5-7 work days in a row off. I am looking forward though to longer trips.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:01 AM   #17

Here is a list of allowable tow weights for the Canadian provinces. http://www.camping-canada.com/towing_regulations_e.asp
It differs quite alot across the country. From 2000 lbs without braking system on West cost up to 9000 lbs on East coast.
I'm from Canada and purchased a braking system for my Jeep. I do notice the difference it makes when braking. While driving I don't even know the Jeep is there but if you need to slow down quick the braking system is nice to have.
I recommend a tow vehicle. I can have mine connected or disconnected in less than 3 mins (wife timed me) . It makes grocery getting and sightseeing much simpler.
Borske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borske View Post
Here is a list of allowable tow weights for the Canadian provinces. Camping Canada Campgrounds Canadian Towing Regulations
It differs quite alot across the country. From 2000 lbs without braking system on West cost up to 9000 lbs on East coast.
I'm from Canada and purchased a braking system for my Jeep. I do notice the difference it makes when braking. While driving I don't even know the Jeep is there but if you need to slow down quick the braking system is nice to have.
I recommend a tow vehicle. I can have mine connected or disconnected in less than 3 mins (wife timed me) . It makes grocery getting and sightseeing much simpler.
Borske, Thanks for the info. This is very helpful.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:49 AM   #19

Tow

We feel safer leaving our motorhome in the campground- many places don't have adequate parking and no security for the parking lot - we had our Seneca broken into at The Gateway Arch in Saint Louis while in the large vehicle parking area - no help from the Arch or the Police

Les & Sandy
2016 Seneca HJ - Scangauge D - Truma Comfort
560 watts solar - Blue Sky 3024iL -IPN ProRemote - Trojan T-105RE
Good Sam Life Member - FMCA Member - Passport America
Les7h is offline   Reply With Quote