Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #1

Melbourne 29c range hood vent...backwards?

The range hood vent on our 07 Melbourne 29c runs backwards. I confirmed this by going outside the coach to make sure the little tabs were off of the flapper, and when I released the flapper, it slammed closed because of air being drawn IN to the coach. I am assuming (?) that that either the fan was installed backwards, or the wiring polarity was reversed when installing. In either case, someone went to sleep on the job at the factory. I haven't dug into it to solve the problem, but if anyone has suggestions, I would be all ears!

Also, unrelated, the light in the hood is weak, at best. Would be nice if there were a way to upgrade the light.

I'll have more queries soon, as we recently purchased the motorhome. So far we're loving it, but just have the normal various kinks to work out.
classact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #2

You might want to have a Jayco service department check all of your 12 volt equipment. If the stove hood fan runs backward, your furnace fan might run backward as well.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:12 PM   #3

Wow, hope it's just the hood vent and nothing more! Enjoy your new MH and welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #4

Range Hood update!

So I solved the range hood dilemma on our Melbourne 29c. For anyone else who has a Melbourne, I would encourage you to check this out.

The fan motor was wired BACKWARDS at the factory, causing the motor to run opposite from what it should. It's a relatively simple fix, fortunately - you'll need to undo the wire nut connecting all neutral (white) wires. Detatch the bottom black wire from the switch. Now attach the white wire to the bottom switch connection (you'll need to put a crimp style connector here) and attach the black wire to the other white (neutral) wires with the wire nut. You may want to label the wires accordingly...the black wire should be taped white, and the white wire taped black, for future reference.

This makes the fan motor spin CORRECTLY, and draws air OUT of the motorhome in stead of drawing air INWARD. My wife can now use the stove without getting overheated and, maybe, just maybe, make me grilled cheese sandwiches more often!

It was simply wired backwards at the factory.

Hope this helps solve a mystery for some other RV'rs!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:49 PM   #5

Range hood vent

Pete,

Thanks - Fortunately, the problem was solved simply by reversing the polarity on the Range hood vent. Seems to be an isolated issue as all the other fans run the correct way!

Again...someone at Jayco went to sleep on the job when wiring the range hood vent.

-Mike
Old 06-21-2010, 07:56 PM   #6

Pete - I might add that I'm glad I was able to fix this issue without having to take the unit to our local Jayco dealer. Unfortunately, as much as I like the Jayco product itself, our local Jayco dealer leaves a LOT to be desired. Suffice it to say that I wouldn't let them dump my holding tanks. Any significant work, if it ever needs done, will have to be done at another dealer. I'm in the process of writing a letter to Jayco to express our concerns (and info that they really should know about how this dealership treats their customers).

Onward...........

Mike
Old 06-22-2010, 06:08 AM   #7

I know exactly what you mean Mike, my local dealer fits that bill also. To say I wouldn't buy a wheelbarrow from them is an understatement. There's a story behind my reasoning but this isn't the place for that. Fortunately I have an excellent RV repair place even closer than the Jayco dealer but other than that I have to drive about a hundred miles for good trustworthy service.

As you say, "onward"....
RR Conductor is offline   Reply With Quote