Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-21-2017, 10:31 PM   #1

Melbourne doesn't have a spare

We are headed to Alaska in June 2016 and figured it would be more than a good idea to carry a spare. We will be traveling for 6-8 weeks. We learned today that the front wheel rims are different than the rear wheel rims. So instead of carrying one spare we would need to carry 2 because the wheels are not interchangeable. Has anyone addressed this issue? I'm thinking we will just have to rely on road side service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pamanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:28 PM   #2

I would not want to rely on road service to have a tire and rim to match your rig. You will be in very remote areas where the level of service is not going to match what you expect in Redding. Also the price will be a killer if they have to supply your tire and may take days to get one. I would take two spares and hope you never need them.

By the way really like the Redding area, spent a summer a few years ago in Trinity Center. Where I see the lake is back !

Happy Travels

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:07 AM   #3

Melburne doen't have a spare

pamanc,
I too have a Melbourne 24K and want to go to Alaska.
So I contacted Jayco customer service and they said the wheels are different as did the tire store I went to. Then I contacted Mercedes technical and he said all the Sprinter chassis come with steel wheels and the Jayco dealers or the factory take them off and put on alloys wheel. The inside dual is still steel even with alloy on the front and outside dual. He also said he has seen piles of steel wheels at dealers. I have also seen a Full paint 2017 Melbourne with all steel wheels and liners. The graffic models all come with steel wheels also.
The Mercedes guy said the steel wheels will fit front and back. 16x5.5 according to Jayco.
So last week I ordered a steel wheel off the internet for $50 freight included-it will be delivered tomorrow. I'm not sure if the offset will be the same if I have a steel wheel on the front with an alloy on the other side. Might track different-same with the back-but I will find out.
May take awhile to accomplish all this wheel changing but I'll find out.
Worse case - I have an extra wheel and will just take a tire with me.

BullDozer Bob

Semper Fi to wags99 from an Old Sailor.
BullDozerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:43 AM   #4

I wasn't aware Jayco swapped out the OEM steel wheels for alloys on some Melbourne models. Are you sure you aren't looking at the simulators or hub caps? If you do have all oem steel wheels they are interchangeable. If you do indeed have alloys, BDB is correct you probably have oem steel wheels on the inner part of the dually. If that is the case check to make sure the studs for alloys are not longer if you carry a steel wheel spare. My 2500 Sprinter has oem alloy wheels (MB doesn't have them for the 3500) and the studs are indeed longer and wont work with the spare so I carry and extra set of studs. I am pretty sure this is the case for after market alloys on other 3500 class c's as well. Worth checking out before you are stranded. I think carrying just a tire will work in the majority of cases and most HD service trucks have the capability of demounting and mounting a tire. It would be lighter and easier to store as well.

Safe travels.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:30 AM   #5

Pfflyer,
You are right
The 2500 does need shorter studs for steel wheels - I went done that road with the MB guy.
The 3500 has lug nuts not studs.
I will see how the lug nuts match up to the steel wheels and post.

BullDozerBob
Old 03-25-2017, 07:00 PM   #6

Wheel arrived

Wheel arrived - bolt pattern is right@ 16x5.5 just like Mitch @Jayco Product Service said. When I get a new tire on the wheel I'll see how it fits and drives
front and back. May have to get some extra lug nuts.
I'll post those results.
Closer to Alaska.
Brought my Toad-'06 CRV-home Tuesday for the first time. Blue ox with a Brake Buddy..
I installed MaxAire vent covers over the bathroom fan and Fantastic fan today. Just waiting on the weather now.
Looks like the first trip will be the weekend b/4 Easter.
OH BOY!!!
Old 04-29-2017, 02:58 PM   #7

Has anyone found the rims you need for the 2016 MB Sprinter/Melbourne? Worst case we will just take a couple spare tires and have them mounted if the need arises. We purchased a cargo carrier/rack for the hitch so we can carry the spares. We head to Alaska in just over a month... yikes! But so excited

Old 05-01-2017, 08:16 AM   #8

Maiden voyage completed

Short trip to Coulee Dam Spring Canyon NPS campground. Left Friday morning back Sunday afternoon. Wife retires in August so look out September. Melbourne functioned well - cool at night -39F-. Reminded myself Saturday morning to close the ceiling vents at night and the furnace won't run so much. Go Power solar panel recharged the battery - need to add another battery but I have plenty of time.
pamanc Look on eBay for the spare wheel Sprinter 3500 16 inch x 5.5.
I got one for $50 freight included. Had a new Continental tire mounted on it and for now it rides in the CRV toad. I'm going to Alaska May '18 and will put the tire in a carrier off the rear hitch.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDozerBob View Post
Short trip to Coulee Dam Spring Canyon NPS campground. Left Friday morning back Sunday afternoon. Wife retires in August so look out September. Melbourne functioned well - cool at night -39F-. Reminded myself Saturday morning to close the ceiling vents at night and the furnace won't run so much. Go Power solar panel recharged the battery - need to add another battery but I have plenty of time.

pamanc Look on eBay for the spare wheel Sprinter 3500 16 inch x 5.5.

I got one for $50 freight included. Had a new Continental tire mounted on it and for now it rides in the CRV toad. I'm going to Alaska May '18 and will put the tire in a carrier off the rear hitch.

Thanks! Great info. Will order off eBay. Will the tire shop be able to tell us what size lugs?
Old 05-01-2017, 08:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamanc View Post
Thanks! But Les Schwab (tire store) told us the rims are different front to back and in order to even rotate the tires they have to remove the tires from the rims and put back on opposite rims? Any truth to this?

Oops, I need to go back and re- read your previous posts so I get a better understanding. So the same rim will work front and back????

Old 05-01-2017, 08:33 AM   #11

Les Schwab

They told me the same thing.
EVERY Sprinter chassis comes from their factory with steel wheels mounted front and back. Les Schwab told me the same thing. I think what they meant was the alloy wheels won't interchange.
If a rear outside dual fails and the steel spare is put on it will ride like it came from the Sprinter factory. Inside dual is a steel wheel already. Front failure might track different but again all the Spinters leave with steel wheels
Old 05-01-2017, 08:34 AM   #12

Quote:
They told me the same thing.

EVERY Sprinter chassis comes from their factory with steel wheels mounted front and back. Les Schwab told me the same thing. I think what they meant was the alloy wheels won't interchange.

If a rear outside dual fails and the steel spare is put on it will ride like it came from the Sprinter factory. Inside dual is a steel wheel already. Front failure might track different but again all the Spinters leave with steel wheels

You are awesome, thanks for doing all the leg work for the rest of us!

Old 05-01-2017, 08:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Oops, I need to go back and re- read your previous posts so I get a better understanding. So the same rim will work front and back????

I believe the OEM steel wheels are all the same front, back and inners. If you have Alcoa alloys you will most likely have steel wheels on the inside in the rear.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:40 AM   #14

Quote:
You are awesome, thanks for doing all the leg work for the rest of us!

Is this the one?

Old 05-01-2017, 08:43 AM   #15

If I was driving a MH to Alaska, I definitely would be carrying a spare. We have rented a MH in Alaska, and the rental facility stated 25% of the MH's come back with a cracked windshield and had a flat tire, especially if they are driving on a lot of gravel roads. Cell phone coverage as spotty at best, so I would recommend being prepared for a long wait for roadside service.

WE had zero issues and had a blast. We are planning another trip for next year, again renting a MH once we get there.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:43 AM   #16

Yes

That's the one I bought.
Had it couple days later.
Did you see where you could buy a truckload for $7900?
Old 05-01-2017, 08:45 AM   #17

Quote:
That's the one I bought.

Had it couple days later.

Did you see where you could buy a truckload for $7900?

Maybe we could pool our resources, buy the truckload of rims and start a side business!!!

Old 07-28-2017, 08:05 PM   #18

We were just informed that there are brackets beneath the chassis to mount a spare. We will be contacting Mercedes to order the mount. We have a spare but did not know we could mount it below

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro