Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-13-2016, 03:38 PM   #1
TWG

Melbourne external propane connection

Hello! My 2017 Melbourne has a connector under the propane tank that could be used to fuel a gas grill, firepit, etc. My question is can I use the same connector to take propane from a DOT tank if I were to run out in the main tank. If so, what hose/connector would I need and are there any valves to adjust to get it to draw from the DOT tank?

Thank you!
TWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:58 PM   #2

I was thinking of adding a connection for external grill or fireplace to my 2016. If yours is after the regulator I would say no. If that connection is before the regulator I don't know.
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:44 AM   #3

Do you have a picture of your set-up?
Old 12-14-2016, 08:30 AM   #4
TWG

I will take one and post it when I can, unfortunately, she is in the shop AGAIN due to the ongoing chassis battery drain issue. Parked for two days, wouldn't start.
TWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:34 PM   #5

Missing items including propane connection

Hate to be late to the party and that this is my first post since purchasing my Melboune a few months back - - - however I also had this question. i guess my concern (possible future post to follow) was that there were 3 items on the 2016 Brochure (still found on-line today) that are not actually included on the rig (including an external propane/grill connection).

Seems this very small print statement at the bottom covers any liability:
"All information in this brochure is the latest available at the time of publication approval. Jayco reserves the right to make changes and
to discontinue models without notice or obligation."

I guess my question is: "is this a common practice"?
Sorry to hijack the thread.
Thanks

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KST-184BH View Post
Hate to be late to the party and that this is my first post since purchasing my Melboune a few months back - - - however I also had this question. i guess my concern (possible future post to follow) was that there were 3 items on the 2016 Brochure (still found on-line today) that are not actually included on the rig (including an external propane/grill connection).

Seems this very small print statement at the bottom covers any liability:
"All information in this brochure is the latest available at the time of publication approval. Jayco reserves the right to make changes and
to discontinue models without notice or obligation."

Thanks
Congratulations on your Melbourne purchase. I will have to dig it out but I don't recall seeing a reference to an external connection in the brochure or manual. What other features are you talking about?

Yes it is common practice in this sue happy country.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Old 01-05-2017, 07:37 AM   #7

If the connection is after your regulator, you cannot add a propane tank there. However, there is a kit called the "extended stay" which is installed in between your tank and your regulator. This kit comes with a hose that will allow you to hook up to an external propane tank. I have this and it works great, when I park my RV for long periods of time I can use an external tank instead of the one built in. Here is a link from Amazon of the one that I bought, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. If you do not feel comfortable installing it, I took mine to the dealership and they installed it for me.
williamwynia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 11:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KST-184BH View Post
Thanks
I don't know how common it is - last time I read about it was when some Greyhawk owners noticed that their King external TV antennas did not have the signal meter.

I can see this approach cutting both ways - if Jayco plunks a Gen III heater in my motorhome, instead of a Gen II, I'd be happy. If I really wanted the Signal Strength meter, then I'd be bummed.

A motorhome is such a collection of stuff from a wide variety of vendors, I can see why Jayco wants (or needs) the latitude.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:33 PM   #9

This is the link to the brochure:

https://www.jayco.com/tools/archive/...and-downloads/

The items missing, explanation from the dealer/Jayco as well as my responses are below.
Sadly after the sale (drove from Houston to Ft. Worth to purchase “sight unseen” ) the dealer threw me on the back burner.
Took 3-4 weeks to get any answers, which I really hope originated from Jayco.

To:
Cc: 'ron_landis@jayco.com' <ron_landis@jayco.com>
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] Re: FW: Jayco 24K

Jayco called me yesterday. I only found out why you don't have the features.

Only one Melbourne received a toilet with a sprayer and that was the prototype.

(ME) Very strange, they really should have updated their online brochure. I do see this in extra small print: Jayco reserves the right to make changes and to discontinue models without notice or obligation. Just not sure why they don’t remove this information from the on-line brochure, I could fix this using Adobe Pro in 2 minutes.

The grill propane prep was a mid-year change.
(ME) So you are telling me I could go look at a newer 2016 or 2017 & find a grill connection?

And the MP3 jack was replaced by a USB port.
(ME)It does have a USB port, but I had to remove the stereo and connect the cable to the rear, then run it to the front. Jayco doesn’t perform the service beforehand (or hook-up the Bluetooth microphone).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I have had some good experiences so far in the Melbourne (hopefully positive posts to follow) but my time in the Forum has been quite limited in 4 years.

2016 Melbourne 24K
2014 Flight Swift SLX 184BH (sold)

PHOTO ALBUMS:
2016 Melbourne 24K Mods, Tips, Info
Ortak's 2017 Melbourne 24K mods
KST-184BH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane