Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-07-2015, 10:10 PM   #1

MH Newbie - Seneca

We looked at a new 37HJ Seneca for the first time today. We've never had a MH, but DW likes it, so...
Obviously, we have a lot of research to do. But initially I'm wondering how many or how few problems are cropping up on these vehicles. I've seen so many MHs from cheapos to Prevosts on the side of the road that I've said for years, not for me. But, happy wife...
I'd appreciate any information you owners may have to offer. My immediate thoughts have to do with warranty work on the road, should that be necessary, as our plan is to head to the east coast, travel up to Canada and west, down to visit in Seattle and Mission Viejo, on and on.
Our Eagle had zero problems worth mention during the warranty period. But if that is not the case with our next purchase, the salesman (I know, I know) assured me that they are part of a network of dealers that will put travelers at the top of the service list for any disabling problem.

Are you familiar with that program and, if so, does it work?

Any common problems with either the coach, including suspension, or the Cummins/Allison?

Again, any advice or tips?

Finally, price. This unit lists @ $239,000. I look for 30% off MSRP on campers. What should I reasonably aim for here?
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:21 AM   #2

The dealer probably belongs to the Route 66 network and they do provide priority to those traveling. You have to remember with a MH however, most RV dealers do not work on the chassis only the house. You will still need to get chassis work done at a Freightliner Service Center.

We had an 08 SENECA that was virtually problem free so there are alot of good units coming out of the JAYCO plants.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:44 AM   #3

Seneca to me spells DIESEL engine. And with a new diesel you now have to deal with DEF fluid technology issues. I may be wrong but this new system of DEF fluid in our diesel trucks, including motorhomes, should be carefully researched before putting out that kind of money. Ford, GM, and Cummings all have problems with DEF. It has not been perfected. Carefully research Freightliner for these issues.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:07 PM   #4

Ford's 6.7 has been around for over four years and the only problem I'm aware of has to do with the crappo U.S. diesel fuel causing problems with the Bosch fuel pump in some trucks. I don't know anything about Cummins, though. But at our 9000' altitude, gas engines, particularly in Ford products such as the Greyhawk has, power dropoff is pretty serious. And we spend most of our time at or above 6000', this one big trip being an exception.
'14 Denali XL
Old 01-08-2015, 08:34 PM   #5

We have a 2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK which we bought in November. We got a couple of trips in before the super cold weather hit, and haven't had any problems. Fit & finish is good, systems are all working fine. We're very satisfied with the quality. It drives really well - doesn't wander and I don't notice trucks passing, unlike our previous E-450-based motorhome.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the DEF issue - there are thousands and thousands of Freightliner M2's on the road and most diesels produced since the emissions standards were introduced in 2010 use DEF. It's one more thing to keep track of (and spend money on), but it isn't a big deal.
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:17 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave_Jan
The Bride and I have had our Seneca 37FS for 4 months now and we use it about two weekends a month. We LOVE IT. Winter RV'ing it a bit different but fun none the less. Will be taking a trip to CO from AL in March. We moved from a class A to this Super C and I do not miss the A. Just make sure to record(video)your walk around and ask lots of questions. Remember VIDEO record your indoc.
Dave_Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 05:48 AM   #7

We'll continue the hunt and not jump into this after looking at just two vehicles, but the gassers are out. I appreciate these responses.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:02 AM   #8

Since the Senecas are priced similar to an entry level diesel pusher class A, I am curious about the benefits current Seneca owners found in a super C as opposed to a diesel pusher. Do the Senecas drive nicer with the engine weight up front? etc.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckowner View Post
Since the Senecas are priced similar to an entry level diesel pusher class A, I am curious about the benefits current Seneca owners found in a super C as opposed to a diesel pusher. Do the Senecas drive nicer with the engine weight up front? etc.
There were two reason we bought ours when we had it. Easier and less expensive to get serviced and I wanted something between me and the bumper besides the windshield.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
There were two reason we bought ours when we had it. Easier and less expensive to get serviced and I wanted something between me and the bumper besides the windshield.
Those are two very good reasons, IMHO!
Old 01-10-2015, 09:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckowner View Post
Those are two very good reasons, IMHO!
What he said.
'14 Denali XL
Old 01-12-2015, 06:00 PM   #12

Well said, Grumpy!
2014 Honda CR-V toad

Old 01-12-2015, 09:17 PM   #13

Today I drove an FS model, which has a bunk section that can convert to wife-pleasing clothes closet. The controls seem positioned unnecessarily awkwardly, and generally reminiscent of a couple decades back. But it is a truck.

Two problems I encountered on a brief 20 mile drive on both surface streets and freeways. First, there was a loud whistle at highway speed, probably emanating from the windshield. Has anyone run into that?

Secondly, after a half hour in the driver's seat my butt was getting sore. It would require some beefing up. The seat. Not my butt. Has anyone noticed that? Again, the seat, not...

I first had a walk around and aside from the 2 - 4, 1 - 3, Country Fill thing it all seemed pretty clear. Is that because I missed something?

Thanks again.
'14 Denali XL
Old 01-12-2015, 09:54 PM   #14

The controls do take a little getting used to - adjusting the cruise control requires me to lean way forward to reach behind the steering wheel. The window switches are close to the driver, making it a tough reach for the passenger. The ignition is on the wrong side too

A couple of owners have reported the whistling noise - it seems to come from the side-view mirror attachment point. I haven't noticed it yet on ours. Someone said that putting some tape over the screw holes fixed it.

I've found the seats to be comfortable, even on marathon 8-10 hr drives.

Not sure what you mean about the country fill thing - it just uses the water pump to pull water into the fresh tank if you're somewhere you don't have water pressure to fill it (city fill).
2014 Honda CR-V toad

Old 01-13-2015, 08:00 AM   #15

Thanks, Anav8or. I was referring to the settings for city water, fresh water filled from a city water hose, country fill which the salesman said was how a tender could fill you (in a boondocking situation?), a position for, if I recall correctly, sanitizing/winterizing and one just for sanitizing. The salesman had to check with the GM to explain their meanings. Like the dash panel, it could be improved but is certainly nothing more than annoying.

Just two comments that people may disagree with. First, all these Cs that I've seen, gas or diesel, seem underpowered to me. Secondly, I'm yet to see a bathroom handicap option that would provide a taller commode and grab bars there and in the shower. Not that there would be any room left for a person in the Seneca shower.

All taken together, there's not much not to like about the Senecas.

Oh yes. While there I walked a pair of Jayco Precepts. Very nice for the price. But a V10.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:29 PM   #16

Ahh, now I understand. Design could maybe use improvement, but it is a whole lot better than our previous coach where we had to install a bypass to winterize without putting pink stuff in the fresh tank.

I was ok with the power of the V10 Ford in our old coach and I've found the Cummins in the Seneca to be adequate. We tow a Honda CR-V and haven't had any problems going through the VA / WV mountains.

Completely agree with you on handicap access - even if the bathroom in ours was big enough to accommodate, the hallway would be tough to navigate. The rear bath model might be better, but you'd still need to get around the bed to get to the big bathroom.
2014 Honda CR-V toad

Old 01-14-2015, 05:28 AM   #17

You may have hit upon why there are no handicap provisions made. I didn't have wheelchairs in mind, just the things that make it easier on bad backs, unsteadiness, etc. But if they provided those simple adjustments, sure enough, there would be demands citing the ADA to go all the way. I believe the ADA is one of the many ridiculously onerous laws and regs on the books. Too much of a good thing.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
I'm yet to see a bathroom handicap option that would provide a taller commode and grab bars there and in the shower. Not that there would be any room left for a person in the Seneca shower.
Since my wife has a walking disability the shower is one reason we didn't go with the new SENECA. If they were still using the neo-angle shower we may very well have bought the 37TS. The rounded shower has a smaller opening and absoutely nothing to grab. With the neo angle the frame was a little more substantial and there was a bar molded into the back wall that worked great. We now have a similar bar in the PINNACLE shower.

As to handicap options as mentioned, there are only a couple companies who specialize in those upgrades/modifications.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:35 AM   #19

You can't go wrong with the Seneca's Diesel engine. Plenty of power. We pull a 16' trailer with a full size Harley Ultra and Harley Trike, 2100lbs for just the two cycles plus whatever the trailer weighs. No problems at all even traveling through the mtns. Have a forum friend with the same 37TS Seneca who also pulls a 16' trailer but with a car inside. They too say they have no problems pulling through the mtns. Both of us are getting near 13 mpg on fuel when not trailering and between 9 to 11 depending on terrain when pulling. That is a far cry from the 7 on good terrain we were getting with our 3500 diesel Chevrolet pulling a 40' toy hauler. We love our Seneca and chose it over the A's because like others we wanted more in front of us than the A provided, and the guys at my husband's shop can handle any engine work. While under warranty Freightliner will take of it. We are lucky to have one not far from us. Also with the class A for some reason my husband's neck and shoulders would ache after just 3/4 hours in the seat causing bad headaches. Must have been something about the seating position because he says he is fine in the Seneca even after 7/8 hours riding.
2JayBirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:29 AM   #20

Diesel would be only way I would go on a mh if traveling in any hills. The def systems r not new and have been around for years. My 2014 ram cummins uses it and there r no issues. After owning both gas and diesel trucks, no way I would go back to a gasser and can't imagine a mh with a gasser. The super x's r nice and a good bit cheaper than a diesel pusher a