Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-18-2017, 04:41 PM   #21

You might want to check out my first post. The tire issue was related to this particular size tire that was manufactured in Canada. I have had several sets of Michelins and have to give them a poor rating. My previous coach also had Michelins that weather checked way too early, especially for a coach being garaged when not in use. I also had a set on my car that worn like iron, but that was the problem. They were too hard of a rubber compound making them very easy to slip or spin on DRY surfaces. On a positive note, they did not weather check with age. In conclusion, I didn't like the way Michelin handled this particular case knowing they had problems with this tire, but choose to deny any problems with mine, and then come out with a M/S2 replacement. Deceptive practice at the cost to the consumer. SHAME on Michelin!
ottoandarnold77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:23 PM   #22
Site Team

Not a motor home but I had the same tire, 2 sets on my 06 F350. Every one had premature side wall cracks and they would not even talk about any adjustments.

I moved over to another brand and have had no more problems.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:11 PM   #23

What model motorhome did you put the Firestone Transforce HT tires on? I have a 32 foot Greyhawk class C and I was thinking of replacing the Michelins which wore out after 25,000 miles, with the Firestone Transforce HT tires.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:31 PM   #24

Firestone Transforce Tire

I put these tires on a 2009 Class C 31SS so far have been great. Coming out of Fl last April the Michs gave up the ghost so to speak 25K on them.I had stopped at a friends house and he had a friend who owned a tire shop and we also checked other places too. But he had best price for a known name tire and highly recommended these for this application he stated the Miches gave a good ride but sidewalls flex to much for this weight.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:33 PM   #25

Firestone Transforce Tire

I put these tires on a 2009 Class C 31SS so far have been great. Coming out of Fl last April the Michs gave up the ghost so to speak 25K on them and they were coming apart. I had stopped at a friends house and he had a friend who owned a tire shop and we also checked other places too. But he had best price for a known name tire and highly recommended these for this application he stated the Miches gave a good ride but sidewalls flex to much for this weight.
che57vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:19 PM   #26

The Uniroyal Laredo HD also gave me great service on my '06 Greyhawk. They also replaced weather checked Michelins. When the Uniroyals reached the same age as the Michelins (approximately 6 years old) they showed absolutely no sign of weather checking like the Michelins. I used the Firestone on my dually pickup and had NO issues with them either. I think ANY tire but the Michelin in this size will give you better service.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:58 PM   #27

I sure hope the M/S2's hold up better ...

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:43 PM   #28

I do too for your safety's sake and the safety of everyone else sharing the roads with the thousands of other M/S2's on the road. I'm sure you will be fine with the M/S2. It's just too bad Michelin wouldn't own up to the other M/S tires on the road. They produced a 2 for a reason and they know it!
Old 02-20-2017, 10:29 PM   #29

According to my local tire dealer the LTX M/S 2 is the latest and greatest replacement, so I have to trust their judgement It doesn't sound like anyone is having trouble with them.
I'm partial to Coopers,(American made) some of the Michelins are made in China Yikes!
Bucket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:16 AM   #30

At my tire dealer yesterday and told by my salesman that that the M/S2's are being discontinued and being replaced by the Michelin Defender. I am told they look identical to and have the same rating specs as the M/S2 but with a different composition for durability. Defender is now on the market but there are still M/S2's out there in the system yet to be sold and although there are no problems with them they are being discontinued. I need a seventh tire as a spare and thinking Defender as I will most likely continue with Michelin's in future replacements.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:55 AM   #31

That is true- the Defenders have been available since at least February 2016. I have 2 Defenders on my F350 that replaced 2 failed M/S2's, I went with them because they do in fact match the M/S2 identically on tread. The sidewall pattern is a bit different. Of course my uses are totally different than an RV, but I have not been impressed with either tire. They wear excessively fast and have a propensity for sidewall failures in my experience. I will be going with the tried and true Transforce A/T's that I have on my fleet trucks and trailers when I replace this spring.

2017 Eagle HT 29.5BHDS -- 2011 F350 CCSB 4x4 PSD
repacs0103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:48 PM   #32

I have the Transforce A/T's on my truck also. A little stiffer ride I understand than the Michelin's but certainly a good option to consider for my MH when the time comes.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:08 PM   #33

Well, well! Here we are parked at &bass Pto shop waiting till morning to get at least 2 new tires. We have the LTX M/S2 and the treads on the 2 left side look like chunks wore off in the past 8 hours while traveling. 33,000 miles, 3 yr old Redhawk. WE pulled over because it sounded like it was a flat, even though no adverse readings from TPMS. Glad I read this, but now not sure what I can do about it.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:03 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5203 View Post
What model motorhome did you put the Firestone Transforce HT tires on? I have a 32 foot Greyhawk class C and I was thinking of replacing the Michelins which wore out after 25,000 miles, with the Firestone Transforce HT tires.
I am very happy with my Bridgestone Duelers.

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:13 PM   #35

Michelin tires

I've been observing Michelin tires for a couple of years . My observations lead me to believe that Michelin tires are not suited to rv application. They suffer side wall cracking and premature failures . They do perform well on semi trucks and passenger vehicles. I have them on a number of my SUVs with no issues. My cousin has been very successful using them on his semi. They just don't perform well in an rv application. Just mo.
Superseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:20 PM   #36

Have 4 of these on my Tacoma, and so far they are performing well
2016 Feather 7 18RBM
GarlicDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:58 AM   #37

Interesting discussions at tire shop. Rep tells me Bridgestone is same as Firestone, only difference is pricing???
They don’t recommend the Michelin Defenders. Says we only need front and outside rear tires... no need to change both dualies , etc. not an easy decision and I have really appreciated your input!
Best sense... put good try front tire on left dualy and replace both front tires?
Old 11-06-2020, 02:03 PM   #38

Michelin LTX M/S2 LT225 75R16

Folks here were wondering about the M/S2 - well worry some more because with only 26000 miles on a 2015 Greyhawk, my right rear inside tire tread was ripped just like a rethread does. It also damaged the mud flap...

Inspected other tires and they don't look good either - premature cracking, soft spots....
RV is in covered storage always when not in use.

Best look for a different brand...
fyi - Dealership tells me the M/S2 was discontinued and are replaced with Michelin Agilis CrossClimate as of this date...
Jarhead76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:49 AM   #39

Dishonest Michelin That Won't Admit A Problem

Thanks for the update on the Michelin M/S2. It's sad that Michelin doesn't admit problems to this specific tire. They just keep changing the names. I'll be changing names too; to another manufacturer that is more transparent. The M/S tire caused damage to my first 2013 Jayco Greyhawk at 26,000 miles and now I have a 2018 Greyhawk with the M/S2's. Since the mileage problem appears to happen in the mid 20's, I'll be changing them out soon so they don't damage this Jayco. Currently 16,000 miles. So sad.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:13 AM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoandarnold77 View Post
Thanks for the update on the Michelin M/S2. It's sad that Michelin doesn't admit problems to this specific tire. They just keep changing the names. I'll be changing names too; to another manufacturer that is more transparent. The M/S tire caused damage to my first 2013 Jayco Greyhawk at 26,000 miles and now I have a 2018 Greyhawk with the M/S2's. Since the mileage problem appears to happen in the mid 20's, I'll be changing them out soon so they don't damage this Jayco. Currently 16,000 miles. So sad.
I also had a sidewall failure with a Michelin M/S2 on one of my Rams. Without getting in to the entire story, I was less than pleased with the response from Michelin when I contacted them, especially with the recall on the M/S2 line.

I have now switched to Bridegestone/Firestone products on my vehicles and couldn't be happier. There are lots of good brands out there and I will not be going back to Michelin anytime soon.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote