Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-12-2016, 11:59 AM   #1

More TV questions

First, does anyone have any idea why we get such crappy, okay snowy, reception on campground cable systems in the low end analog channels. Channels 2-5 or 6? Yes, we do turn off the antenna booster. The other issue we've found has to do with digital HD channels on the campground cable systems. Those channels very often pixelate and even go so bad that the screen will show no signal. Often those are the local channels and the analog versions still work, though, of cours, not in HD.

Second, I really think I should upgrade my antenna to a better model to catch better and more reliable HD. My question is, which one?
Old 05-12-2016, 12:10 PM   #2

Don't know about the first question. Perhaps the CG cable system doesn't have enough power? Like at home (we run OTA free TV, cut the cable years ago) I could get better signal/more channels if I put a powered splitter in my system. Haven't looked into it because I don't really need it.

As for the antenna, I like the King Jack HD antenna. I just got the upgraded head and mounted it on my existing crank-up mast. If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten the one that's mounted on a shorter fixed mast. I've read too many stories of the crank-up masts leaking, and that problem goes away permanently with the fixed mount antenna. Plus that kit comes with a signal monitor which is a nice feature.

As for signal, I can't complain. It's better than the standard bat-wing that came with the trailer, and the lower profile is nice as well.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forelyndogs View Post
First, does anyone have any idea why we get such crappy, okay snowy, reception on campground cable systems in the low end analog channels. Channels 2-5 or 6? Yes, we do turn off the antenna booster. The other issue we've found has to do with digital HD channels on the campground cable systems. Those channels very often pixelate and even go so bad that the screen will show no signal. Often those are the local channels and the analog versions still work, though, of cours, not in HD.

Second, I really think I should upgrade my antenna to a better model to catch better and more reliable HD. My question is, which one?
"Snow" on the screen is a symptom of a weak analog signal. See what happens when you turn the antenna booster back on. But it is, most probably the CG's problem. Talk to you neighbors and folks in other areas of the CG. I expect the best signal is nearest the main office. Once you get to the outlying sites, the signal gets unwatchable.

Digital signals don't get snowy. Either there is enough signal to process or there isn't. The symptom of poor digital reception is a picture that freezes when the signal drops too low and then jumps to the part where the signal become strong enough to process again.

I'm still not sure which is worse....

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
"Snow" on the screen is a symptom of a weak analog signal. See what happens when you turn the antenna booster back on. But it is, most probably the CG's problem. Talk to you neighbors and folks in other areas of the CG. I expect the best signal is nearest the main office. Once you get to the outlying sites, the signal gets unwatchable.

Digital signals don't get snowy. Either there is enough signal to process or there isn't. The symptom of poor digital reception is a picture that freezes when the signal drops too low and then jumps to the part where the signal become strong enough to process again.

I'm still not sure which is worse....
Pixellation also on a weak digital signal. The modern equivalent to snowy pictures from the analog days. It's very frustrating in outlying, fringe signal areas or when there's not enough power in the cable system. When it gets that bad, we just turn the TV off and play a game or perhaps use the DVD player to watch a movie. And by "watch" a movie, I mean fall asleep about 1/4 of the way through! LOL!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:34 PM   #5

Thanks I believe you're right. Snowy isn't great but it is almost impossible to watch when digital TV pixelates. My wife suggests that the problem is with the CG on the digital stuff. The cable company basically forces the CG to accept digital signals on their cable system, but doesn't demand the CG upgrade their cable to support digital. The best solution is no TV but since that sometimes isn't really practical a satellite system may be the best. But you've got to have a clear shot at the southern sky and sometimes you need to give up shade to get the southern sky.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forelyndogs View Post
Thanks I believe you're right. Snowy isn't great but it is almost impossible to watch when digital TV pixelates. My wife suggests that the problem is with the CG on the digital stuff. The cable company basically forces the CG to accept digital signals on their cable system, but doesn't demand the CG upgrade their cable to support digital. The best solution is no TV but since that sometimes isn't really practical a satellite system may be the best. But you've got to have a clear shot at the southern sky and sometimes you need to give up shade to get the southern sky.
When the cable company at home started pushing digital service and we upgraded the boxes, the 1984 vintage co-ax couldn't keep up. Some boxes worked great, others wouldn't even boot up.

I had to run all new (RG-59?) co-ax just to the appropriate places, abandoning all of TV wiring in the walls.

Is the CG going to spend $lots$ just because the cable company charges more for too many commercials and less content?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote