Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-22-2016, 09:59 PM   #1

Moron tech may have just broke my propane gauge.

On my brand new Seneca 37FS I had a few issues that needed to go back for warranty fixes. The most dangerous one was that I was smelling propane near the tank. After a spray bottle test, I was able to determine that the gauges float connection was leaking. Since it was under warranty and I did not want to mess with it as to not mess the warranty, I took it to the dealer the next day. I have to say that my service writer was VERY good, super nice and noted everything that I needed repaired. They had it for a few days, "fixed" the propane tank leak and gave it back to me while parts were being shipped. I got it back the smell was gone and I thought all was well. The level was 3/4 of a tank when I got it back. I used the furnace while at the house doing a few small things to it and getting ready to leave out tomorrow. I checked the gauge again tonight to see how much I used and if see if I would have to go fill it before we leave. To my surprise, the level was higher than when I picked it up. I pulled the magnetic gauge part off and it actually came off rather easy...odd I thought. Well now looking at this, I quickly saw that obviously those devices should be oriented with the notch at noon. Well they just tightened it and had the notch at 4:00, then put the gauge back on straight up. Basically now my float is laying somewhat on its side in the tank. Now what sucks is that I am planning on leaving tomorrow for the Holiday weekend. I am hoping I can stop by the local propane company tomorrow and see if they can fix it for me since I am sure they have done this a time or to on tanks they have laying around. Not sure how much I trust the local dealer now though...looks like they will be getting a call in the morning to see what they can do.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:45 AM   #2

Think you should be able to make your trip just fine. If it were me, I'd head out on my trip and not worry about it until I got back. For sure tell your local dealer about it though, and schedule a date you can have it looked at again.

Also, a warranty is nice, but...you have to realize dealers will hire just about anyone with a pulse---qualified or not--- and pay them peanuts to "fix" stuff. I've never taken my trailer in for warranty work for just that reason. I figure I can break something just as good as a tech could. That being said, if it were a new RV, I'd probably give them one shot. If the tech proves to be competent, then I'd probably go back again. Otherwise, I'm fixing it myself.
justman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:52 AM   #3

I would not worry to much about it. Depending where and how long your going, maybe top the tank off, and call it good.

You noted they "fixed" it while parts are being ordered. To me that means that they made it safe until they can receive the required components, to do the job right. It might the only way to stop the leak was to rotate the fitting a bit more to tighten up the fitting.

Personally I would call the service rep and asked what they did to "fix" the issue, and what parts they have on order.

Happy Camping

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I would not worry to much about it. Depending where and how long your going, maybe top the tank off, and call it good.

You noted they "fixed" it while parts are being ordered. To me that means that they made it safe until they can receive the required components, to do the job right. It might the only way to stop the leak was to rotate the fitting a bit more to tighten up the fitting.

Personally I would call the service rep and asked what they did to "fix" the issue, and what parts they have on order.

Happy Camping
No they considered the propane tank fixed. The parts that are on order are other things like the outdoor radio which was DOA when I got it. When I go get it filled today, I will see if they can fix it right real quick...if not then I will just top it off and wait till I can get it back to Camping World (my only Jayco dealer in the state) when they fix the radio and what not.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by justman View Post
Also, a warranty is nice, but...you have to realize dealers will hire just about anyone with a pulse---qualified or not--- and pay them peanuts to "fix" stuff. I've never taken my trailer in for warranty work for just that reason.
^^^ This^^^ The dealer wants to keep mine for 3 weeks to fix the power tongue jack and the DVD player. Not happening. I already fixed teh jack. After Thanksgiving I'm contacting Furrion directly to see if I can get them to replace the DVD player directly to me. Dealer's techs have a habit of turning minor problems into major hassles.