Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2017, 10:03 PM   #1

Motorhome charging system

I looked through my manual, and didn't see this information on keeping the coach batteries charged. When hooked to shore power does coach master switch need to be on to charge the 12 v battery (2 6v) or will it charge with the master switch on or off? How about driving, using the motor charging system to supply power the battery? Thanks Stan
stans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:18 PM   #2

The master switch needs to be on for converter/charger operation.
Depending upon which Jayco motorhome you have the engine alternator may be wired to charge the house battery.
Using a volt meter you could test the voltage present at the house battery with the engine running and no shore or generator power.

P.S. The generator can be used while traveling and will charge the battery with the master switch on.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stans02 View Post
I looked through my manual, and didn't see this information on keeping the coach batteries charged. When hooked to shore power does coach master switch need to be on to charge the 12 v battery (2 6v) or will it charge with the master switch on or off? How about driving, using the motor charging system to supply power the battery? Thanks Stan
I have a 2017 Greyhawk 29MV, I tested plugging in the main power cable and checking the presence of charging voltage on the house battery. On my model there is presence of charging voltage with the main power cutoff switch either on or off. I leave it on most the time anyway but was curious about it myself so did the test. On my model it does not charge the chassie battery when plugged in. The only way for that to charge is run the engine or hook up a separate battery tender.

GeorgiaRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:33 PM   #4

Smile

GeorgiaRV,
With the ignition key off check the 12 volt outlets on the dashboard. On my 2016 29MV, they are always "on". When plugged in to shore power, I use a Battery Minder with a 12 volt plug attachment and plug it into one of the dash outlets. I plug the 110 volt end into the outlet nearest the living room TV. Using this method, I will have fully charged house battery(ies) and a charged chassis battery. It's good to use the battery minder when you are camping for an extended time so you don't deplete the chassis battery.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote