Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2016, 02:38 PM   #1

Motorhome vs 5th wheel winter "storage" procedures

So I have been reading a few thread here and there and getting some various answers on what I should do regarding taking care of a motorhome properly over the winter months. On my old 5th wheel, I would just winterize the lines, put my tire covers on, set out some mouse traps, and plug it in. I would go out occasionally and check the traps but other than that, I would not have to do much to it. On the new one, I am hearing other stories..can you guys validate or help me correct what I am hearing...

1) Run the Onan at least once a month for at least 2 hours.

2) Actually get the unit on the road at least once a month for at least 30 or so miles to get everything lubricated well.

3) Some people say run the tanks almost empty...just enough to keep the Onan working and use a stabilizer in the tanks. Others say fill them to the top to prevent condensation, but those that have said this, dont say anything about a fuel stabilizer.

4) Level it and leave it with the jacks down to relieve pressure off the tires or retract the jacks to prevent corrosion and let the rig sit on the tires?

I am thinking of taking it to our families Thanksgiving feast at the DW's grandparents house 200 miles away, however my DW just wants to haul all the kids down in the van to make life simple. I want to take the MH so I get to play with our new toy, but also so I can exercise things that need to be exercised if needed. If it needs to get out a little every now and then, I think this is a good plan for it. If it is ok to let sit for a few months, then I will just take the van, but if it is a good idea to get them out every now and then, I will do that.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:14 PM   #2

Onan has always stated 60 minutes per month with a 50% load, such as one air conditioner.

We have had a 100 gallon diesel tank contaminated with algae and it took several filters changes and Biobor to get it cleaned up. Keeping the tank full will prevent moisture from collecting.

If the levelers are left in an extended position over a long period of time, most manufacturers recommend a light coating of silicon lubricant to the rams to protect them.

Most of this information is available in the systems manufacturer's owner's guides.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:55 PM   #3

We use our coach pretty regularly through December. Here is what I normally do from Jan through late March/early April:

1) I keep the tanks full and use a stabilizer

2) I'll run the genny every couple of weekends for a half hour or so with one or both heat pumps going.

3) I leave ours plugged into shore power, so I check the coach battery water level when I run the genny.

4) I try to take ours out for a drive once a month or so and do a few miles on the highway to make sure the engine gets a decent workout.

5) We leave the jacks up and slides in for storage.

We have a cover, but we have yet to use it. Still debating on it for this year - our coach stays outside (for now) which kills me - I hate leaving it out in the elements. But, taking the cover off and putting it back on repeatedly over the winter doesn't sound like much fun to me.
2014 Honda CR-V toad

anav8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:15 PM   #4

Do you live in New Mexico...? If so, why are you putting it away for the "winter" down there? Seems that you can camp year round...
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
If the levelers are left in an extended position over a long period of time, most manufacturers recommend a light coating of silicon lubricant to the rams to protect them.
When I contacted Quadra MFG about leaving my Bigfoot levelers extended for a lengthy spell, they said to spray the shafts with a dry Teflon lubricant.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #6

While we don't have a constant snow like the north does, where I live, 7000 up in the mountains, our average lows in the winter months are in the teens to low 20's. I would not mind camping during the winter time, but my kids would not like it too much. We pretty much shut it down from Dec to Mar since no one else wants to go. Plan on using the hell out of it though once Spring rolls around.