Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #1

MV 29 On Demand water heater

Does anyone have experience with Suburban IW 60 On Demand Tankless Water Heater ? I have been unable to get my Girard GSWH-1M Revision 3 water heater to work satisfactorily. In researching this water heater problem I discovered that in each generation of the water heater has several revisions also . The front cover of the owners manual at the very bottom has the revision of your unit . Each revision operates differently and has different specifications. Girard Tech support has been more responsive than the dealer . In an afternoon of e-mail Girard tech support has determined that the gas valve is stuck on high . I am now waiting to hear what the solution is . The Dealer just wishes I would go away . I purchased my MV 29 to use not to sit in my drive way .
Davidmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidmac View Post
Does anyone have experience with Suburban IW 60 On Demand Tankless Water Heater ? I have been unable to get my Girard GSWH-1M Revision 3 water heater to work satisfactorily. In researching this water heater problem I discovered that in each generation of the water heater has several revisions also . The front cover of the owners manual at the very bottom has the revision of your unit . Each revision operates differently and has different specifications. Girard Tech support has been more responsive than the dealer . In an afternoon of e-mail Girard tech support has determined that the gas valve is stuck on high . I am now waiting to hear what the solution is . The Dealer just wishes I would go away . I purchased my MV 29 to use not to sit in my drive way .
Hi Davidmac,
I have the 29ME and my first time out experienced the same issue. I answered this in another thread and will just quote it here. Sometimes the solenoid can stick wide open, or closed. Either way, it won't allow the burner to fire up. From my previous post:

"This might sound crazy, but mine did the same thing this weekend. Having been a boater for 20 years, I have fixed many a stuck solenoids in my time. If you have the Gen 3 Girard tankless (or some Gen 2's), they do not have a reset button. The Gen 3's solenoids are on the left side of the unit just behind the main circuit board. Turn on the water heater, have someone inside turn on the hot water. When you hear the ticking of the piezo ignition, take a wrench or the end of a screwdriver and tap on the solenoids. Keep tapping until you see the flame ignite. I hope this fixes your problem as it is a simple one!"

I haven't had the problem since. Good luck and I hope this works for you!
Joe

JH
Tampa Bay
2016 Jayco Greyhawk 29ME
0and2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 04:21 PM   #3

My unit lights the valve is stuck wide open water is too hot . Dealer said all I needed to do was add cold water Unit OK . Girard Tech with a few simple test determined the valve was stuck open . I have one more test to check for them . I have to check if the burner flame changes as the dial is increased . I will have to wait for the sun to set a little more before I will be able to see flame . I was hoping to find someone who had a Suburban tankless and see if it was as good as it appears . I have little hopes that even repaired that the Girard would be satisfactory.
Davidmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:42 PM   #4

The solution may not be another on-demand water heater. Mine was replaced with a 6 gal gas/electric unit. While 10 gal would have been better I am way happier than with the on-demand.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote