Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-11-2011, 06:23 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to jloving
Nav System in 2011 Greyhawk 31FK

I have a 2011 Greyhawk with a Ford 450 chassis. The navigation system that came in this sucks.. It constantly wants me to get off the major highway and get onto off roads. I don't use it and bring my IPHONE. I am thinking of buying a GPS (new Rand McNally RVNC 5510) but am concerned about the overhand interfering with the reception.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-11-2011, 06:45 AM   #2

Will let you know soon

I just boughta new Greyhawk with same system as yours. I already have a Garmin Nuvi that gets good reception in most situations. Will probably use it instead of the new one if the overhang dosn't block satellite signal.
Jay Flight 26BH - traded for Greyhawk
MichaelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #3

Have had no problems with the Magellan we have, just on the dash and works like a charm.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #4

I use one in our class b+. No problems. I did not get the nav system option. Cost to much to up-grade.
Tom Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #5

Tom,
Are you talking about cost to update maps when they get outdated over time, or is the navigation system less that adequate as installed by Jayco?
Old 08-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #6

The nav system installed cost to much to up-date (after time) by the research I and others have done. Cost to up-date is more than buying a new stand alone system.
Tom Copeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #7

I brought my new 31SS home today. Really like it! The nav system worked fine for me so far, but, I was on roads I was familiar with. Time will tell how it does on unfamiliar roads. Since I already have lifetime map updates on my Nuvi, I will probably use it in the MH if I find the new nav system is less accurate or the maps get outdated.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:42 AM   #8

In Dash Nav System

I can't even find out to upgrade the maps on the Nav system. It's a Magnadyne with hookups for the rear/side cameras (nice), DVD system. etc.. We're thinking of just buying the Rand McNally RVDN 7100 with real time traffice updates.. It also has MH checklists built in.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:57 PM   #9

We have a 2011 31DS, and don't use the in dash GPS. Instead, I installed my Tom Tom GPS on the dash.....works lika a charm under the overhang.
fidalgo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:34 PM   #10

Slightly off topic. Has anyone discovered any alternative manufacturer to Magnadyne to replace the supplied in-dash system? I was wondering if any of the major brands, Alpine, Kenwood etc. have solutions with the same features....
Old 08-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #11

I now agree with Jim and his original post.....The in-dash nav system that comes with the Greyhawk is really BAD. I had both it and my Nuvi on during a recent trip. The Garmin is much better. Magnadyne takes lots of "side trips", says to turn left when the Garmin says to turn the more direct route, to the right, etc. I think the Magnadyne might would have got me to my destination, eventually, but it was so bass accords, I just turned it off. I do like the side cameras and weather radio, though.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:46 AM   #12

Go into your setup screen and change the preferences. I bet it is set up for scenic or shortest rather than fastest.
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann45 View Post
Go into your setup screen and change the preferences. I bet it is set up for scenic or shortest rather than fastest.
This is what I was thinking also. If the trip preferences are set for shortest route versus fast time the GPS could take you off major roads and via a route that is shorter but ultimately lengthens the trip time.
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:46 PM   #14

Thanks Seann and 2edgesword, you were correct. On the Magnadyne, after you input the destination, there are 2 options: "quick" and "short". Quick is best for me, since it keeps me on the main roads. I drove with both the Garmin and the Magadyne today. The routes were very close.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:44 AM   #15

I'll have to check it next weekend. My wife normally plugs in the destination so I don't remember that 'quick/short' question. I still don't like it. No traffic. etc.

Rand McNally has the 7" 7710 coming out in Oct. Has option for live traffic. Has RV checklist. Has input for RV type, height, weight and determines route based on info an state laws for propane, towing etc.. Will use the in dash as a backup.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:52 AM   #16

Send a message via ICQ to WPnorton
I found an app for my iPhone called Motion X (.99 cents). It works better than any GPS I currently own (5 total). I plug it into a belkin FM FM charger/transmitter and it works incredible. I found it better than my Pioneer Double Din Nav system I just installed 8 months ago. I used it on a business trip to Alabama a few weeks ago in a rental car. I was very impressed. Put that iPHONE to good use!

http://www.amazon.com/GOgroove-FlexS...641518&sr=8-16
Old 09-12-2011, 05:44 AM   #17

I seen new motorhomes with Jensen units that looked similar-have no opinion.
daviddudek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #18

We have a 2010 Greyhawk GS. When we bought it, the nav system did not work at all. I took it back to the dealer, and they replaced the module.

It works now, but I do not like it. It is not user friendly, it does not find the best routes, and I cannot adjust the settings to show very much of the surrounding area. Once, it took us almost 100 miles out of our way just because we missed one turn. I did not know the area well enough to realize what it was doing until I was well on the way. It was a mountainous area, and I could not turn around. It even took us on some dirt roads that were barely wide enough for two vehicles to pass each other. My wife almost curled up in a fetal ball.

I bought a Garmin with lifetime map and traffic updates, and it works perfectly.

I should also add that the radio module does not work well either. It will barely pick up some stations that I can easily get on my car radio. It may be the overhang interfering with the antenna, but, duh, didn't they know the overhang was there before they installed the system?

Just not pleased at all with anything in that system except for the cameras.
rdale1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #19

I'm pleased with the cameras and the DVD player on mine. Also the sound from the from the front tv to the built-in sound system and the outside speakers work pretty well.
I agree with you about the nav system. I use a Garmin, suction mounted to the windshield. The radio is barely acceptable.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:07 AM   #20

Speaking of the nav system in the Greyhawk, When using the backup camera to keep watch on the toad is there anyway to use the radio/ cd player / ipod and enjoy music? I apologize if this has been addressed earlier. We're new here and will introduce ourselves to the neighborhood later. Today it's FOOD, FOOTBALL & FAMILY! (not necessarily in that order) Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Kave&Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote