Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2013, 03:03 AM   #1

Navigation Updates?

My wife and I just purchased a 2014 Greyhawk 31FS. The factory Navigation system maps are very out of date: circa 2009. I looked online and the last update for the Clarion navigation system appears to be from 2011. They also want $84.99 for the update. This seems very odd for a brand new motorhome. The Jayco dealer doesn't seem to know anything about these Clarion radios so they can't help. Has anyone else had this problem?
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:17 AM   #2

The dealer should be going to Jayco on your behalf to get this resolved. Since the dealer won't step up to the plate contact Jayco yourself. You should be entitled to the most recent maps available with a new purchase. If 2011 maps are the latest available from Clarion it doesn't say much for their systems.

You might be ahead of the game to get a Garmin nuvi system with lifetime map updates. Prices for GPS's have dropped dramatically over the last several years.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #3

I did as you said and called Jayco, unfortunately the customer service people don't know where the NP401 Clarion navigation head unit is installed. It used to be in the passenger side kick panel but apparently that isn't the case anymore. She had to send the question to the second level engineers. She also commented that I may have to have the dealer disassemble the front of the motorhome to access the navigation system for updates. I certainly hope that isn't the case as that would be stupid expensive. For people who have 2013 and earlier Greyhawk units with the Clarion system I found that you can indeed get free updates from naviextras.com. You need to register, download the Naviextras Toolbox onto a notebook computer take it out to your Greyhawk, plug your PC into the navigation system or pop the SD card out and into your PC. That will allow you to update the system. Unfortunately, they don't know where they installed the navigation head unit on my 2014 model. I will update this thread when I find out.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by msturtz View Post
....She also commented that I may have to have the dealer disassemble the front of the motorhome to access the navigation system for updates. I certainly hope that isn't the case as that would be stupid expensive. ....
I have found in some cases Jayco does not consider easy of repair or access in some of their designs. In my specific case the furnace must be removed (couch and furnace enclosure box) just to see the diagnostic trouble code display. Some Jayco engineer either believes the furnace will never fail or he is acutely aware he will not be the one repairing it or paying the labor charge.

Anyway, good luck with your navigation system. Let us know how it ends up.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:58 AM   #5

I replaced mine, it was broke from the dealer.. It was double-sided taped to the side wall up under the dash of the passenger side. I had to remove the kick panel to get to it. They have no reason to move the location of the GPS unit, I cant imagine where else it would fit up under a ford van dash.

I have only spoken and corresponded with one person at Jayco, his name is Vinh Le. Vinh has been extremely helpful at getting issued resolved.
I am realizing that great dealers and good dealer service are hard to come by.

I have not updated the maps. I basically navigate to City center and use my Garmin or Googe Maps from there.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:58 AM   #6

More information, the 2014 Greyhawk has a Clarion NP 401 navigation unit. I spoke with the reseller that provides the units to Jayco. The VX 401 and NP 401 units (circa 2009) are obsolete and they are not even doing warranty replacements on these anymore. If one fails it has to be replaced with a supported unit. Worse this unit is not eligible for any free updates. I'm going to ask Jayco to replace mine with a supported unit that can be updated. I will keep this thread up to date. The NP 401 is behind the passenger side kick panel.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:07 AM   #7

Jayco replaced the entire system with the NX 501 (circa 2011) and it works better. I still am having issues updating the navigation but now it is due to space on the SD card.