Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-20-2017, 02:32 PM   #1

Need a camera monitor

I recently bought a 2016 Melbourne 24L on the Sprinter chassis. It has a back-up camera wired to the Pioneer dash monitor, but I want a monitor to see what I'm towing and/or what's behind me. I see lots of different after market products, but none of the descriptions give me confidence that they'll work. BOYO and Tadi Bros are two I've been looking at, but...IDK. Anybody with the Sprinter chassis dealt with this?
Roadkingrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:25 PM   #2

I don't have a Sprinter, so pardon the confusion - but the existing backup camera won't work? I flip mine on, on our Greyhawk, while driving to see what's behind me.

One small input - our old coach didn't have one so I dropped $80 for a wireless one off eBay. Worked really well. And was a fraction of the cost of some of the others.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 08:52 AM   #3

I would think you should be able to choose the camera from the input options on the Pioneer head unit so that you can have the camera video displayed at all times. Mine is a Clarion and allows me to do that. It warns you that it may not be good for the screen (burn-in), but with the constant motion I don't really see any effect. Regardless, I like using it as a rearview mirror.
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer or 1999 Jeep Wrangler
Shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:00 AM   #4

Thanks for the input. The back-up camera works, but the techies at Jayco motorized advised there's no way to make it continuous monitor on the Sprinter model. I suppose I'll have to read the Pioneer book (tiny print and confusing) to see if there's a way to switch it. Otherwise I'll try an inexpensive camera just to know the toad it still there.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:59 PM   #5

Ah bummer.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:37 AM   #6

I have a Greyhawk, not a sprinter, but I have the same issue when towing. To solve, I use an old Android cell phone running IPWebcam app mounted to the back window. Then I use another phone up front to display the video stream.
A possible cheap solution if you are a techie.

-LRP
LkptRvPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:14 PM   #7

I have a Redhawk with camera screen in the mirror. There is a power button but it never seems to turn anything on ?

2014 Jayco Redhawk 31XL
Towing 2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Old 01-26-2017, 09:00 AM   #8

Thanks all. Technical stuff is above my pay grade, so I guess I'll keep shopping until I find a camera and monitor that doesn't break the budget and that I can understand. My Melbourne only has one 12V outlet in the cockpit, actually in the entire coach, so the EvenBrake, tire pressure monitor and a camera exceeds it's capacity. But adding those outlets isn't too difficult I guess. Since we love the motor home, I guess this isn't really a bad problem to have. Thanks again for your ideas.