Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2016, 11:42 PM   #1

Need input on a Greyhawk 31FS

New to the forum and looking for some advise. I am looking to buy a 31FS. Unfortunately we had a flood in our 5th wheel a month ago and it has been totaled. The model is no longer available and the newer units that are similar are both longer and heavier, so after much debate we decided to get a class C. The insurance company is assisting us on the replacement.

So first question is the insurance company is pricing out what we want. The best price seems to be from dealers around Detroit area, about 73k (116k MSRP) with the bunk DVDs units, standard paint and wheels. Price is about 6K less then local dealers. Since insurance is helping with the purchase will I be able to get service locally? The insurance company will have it shipped to me. I have the option to buy it locally but would have to pay the difference... Honestly I don't want to pay 6k more.

What is a good price for slide toppers? I was told two units installed for 1000.00.

Lastly when I do the walk though what are the most important items I should look at. Thanks!
vrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:30 AM   #2

I have a 2015 31 FS and am happy with it. Be mindful that the 2016's have gone to a new version of 6 speed transmission and the earlier deliveries of these have vibration problems in the driveline. Supposedly Ford and all the C manufacturers have this resolved for now. Frankly I would consider taking yours for a long drive on the highway at 60 mph to determine how it handles on the road before making any commitments. No need to add to your troubles if you can avoid them. The tankless water heater is a bit tricky to understand and also operate correctly. Pay special attention to the details of this tankless heater and it's operation from a knowledgeable Jayco rep. The dealer network for Jayco I find is very good nationwide so I think you should be able to go to most any dealer who represents Jayco for any servicing. I most certainly would go anywhere save six grand on purchasing one of these but if your local dealer knows what's up they might be willing to match the price. Other than this it has the best features, quality, and value in this price range. Just went to an RV show and did not see anything better than what I now have. Good luck.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:20 AM   #3

FWIW when times get busy some dealers will only accept service requests for units they sold. RV shops tend to get backed up during prime season - unlike car dealers the overflow area can sit for weeks at a time.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 06:31 AM   #4

Great info! I will make sure I drive it. I did read about the vibration. I was told it has been resolved but will check for myself, same on the water heater. I did ask the local dealer about the pricing. They wouldn't match it. I did buy my last two units from them, but 6k is a big difference. I also have the option of picking it up myself and saving another 1k. I may do that too.

Another question, I see the shades are different now, white simple looking. Any advantages or disadvantages? And the cabinet hinges are no longer recessed. Not sure why they changed it.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:30 PM   #5

I'm due to take delivery of a 2016 31FS in March. I too hope this vibration issue is squared away by now. I also read in one of the many chat rooms I've come across that some jayco products have shipped with raw luan wood slide "roofs" under a slide topper with only paint protecting it? That's something I'll definitely be taking a look at on delivery day. I don't have slide toppers installed but I'm curious what materials are used for the roof of the slides. 73k seems like a great price, They run around 79k for similarly equipped units in the Albany NY area.........
melvinson404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:37 AM   #6

Pulled the trigger! Flew out yesterday and picked it up. No vibrations at 60-75 MPH. Got the slide toppers. Other then the "big rig passing sway" all is good. Any thoughts on steering stabilizers? I see there are mixed comments on them. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2016, 02:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrunner View Post
Pulled the trigger! Flew out yesterday and picked it up. No vibrations at 60-75 MPH. Got the slide toppers. Other then the "big rig passing sway" all is good. Any thoughts on steering stabilizers? I see there are mixed comments on them. Thanks!
I would check the alignment first, you want to have at least +5 degrees of caster for best highway handling.
Harvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:42 PM   #8

Niccccce

That's great news. Mine should be coming mid March. I hope I have the same vibration free experience. What are your initial impressions? Fit and finish all good? Did you get full body paint?
Old 02-09-2016, 05:29 PM   #9

X2 on the alignment. Also, check the tire pressures.

Often the tires pressures are low to give a softer ride but that softer ride can contribute to sway. You can safely increase tire pressures up to what is shown on the tire sidewalls. If it doesn't help, just let the pressures back down. More often than not, sway is reduced with higher tire pressures and at zero cost.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by melvinson404 View Post
That's great news. Mine should be coming mid March. I hope I have the same vibration free experience. What are your initial impressions? Fit and finish all good? Did you get full body paint?
Great fit and finish! Rode nicely, no vibrations other then the occasional rattle from stove when we hit some ruff roads. Just the basic paint/graphics. Did t see the benefit of spending 7500.00 more for it, just my thoughts. I was told all chassis built after December have been corrected. Very nice and comfortable, kids love it. Very happy with it.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:11 PM   #11

Yeah I bit the bullet on the paint job just to be a little different I went with the Crimson graphics. Congrats on your new home! You might be the first to take delivery of 2016 and report no vibration issues. I'm feeling a little better about my decision to order one.....
Old 02-18-2016, 01:33 AM   #12

x3 on the alignment. Mine was really hard to keep straight and lacked a good on center feel. After the alignment, the drive from FL to Alaska was much better....
2012 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid (our TOAD on a DEMCO Dolly)
DW, DSx2, DDx2 Catx2 Dog
Tampa Bay Area of FL
CarlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #13

Congrats vrunner. We picked up our 2016 Greyhawk 31FS last week. No vibrations issues but I haven't had enough time behind the wheel to see if I need alignment. Taking her out this weekend for the shakedown!

A few things I've done so far:

Moved the rear leveling jacks to the correct height, (they were too low, ~6"). Added air bags to the rear for getting up my driveway.
Did the TV mod so kids can watch it while on the road.
Re-wired the water heater control panel (the scotch locks they used weren't making a good connection).

Happy trails!

- James

jgerhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:05 PM   #14

Picked up my 2016 Greyhawk 29ME on Saturday. Drove it over 70 miles at highway speed, no vibration. Definitely needs an alignment though. Also noted it has Girard's third generation tankless water heater with the digital panel. Hopefully they've addressed all the problems with the older versions.
Colorado Springs, CO
JDSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrunner View Post
Vrunner congratulations on your new 31FS!!

Can you post up some pics of your slide toppers? My dealer sad they would have to offset the one over the bunk slide due to the awning.

Thanks!!
jschulz1720 is offline   Reply With Quote