Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-31-2016, 09:20 AM   #1

Need to Keep the Mice OUT this Winter

We keep our Seneca on our property under a pavilion. With the season winding down I'm looking at what the options are for keeping mice out of our Seneca this winter.

Last year there was new home built on the property next to ours which caused us to have a mouse issue last winter that we hadn't in previous years with just putting bait stations at each wheel.

Mice got into most all the low drawers and even were able to get up interior walls and into the A/C ducts. The loss was limited to clean-up time and a few articles of clothing.

Everything is cleaned-up and working. We are using the drier sheets and glue traps during the season just in case.

But I want a better solution. What is everyone's opinion on Mouse Free and/or Cab Fresh? Is there anything else that you're finding effective that isn't a full-time job?

Thanks!
Toads: 2014 Ford Explorer or 1999 Jeep Wrangler
Shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:47 AM   #2

Get this or similar for around the tires. Also remember this and Cab Fresh type proiducts are only good for 30 days and need to be replaced.

http://www.gardeners.com/buy/mouse-r...t/35-271.html?
Old 08-31-2016, 09:51 AM   #3

Mouse baits by ALL possible points of entry, not just the tires.

Tongue jack, stabilizers, safety chains, dangling wires or plumbing, tall grass, low hanging branches, nearby buildings....

It takes a shotgun approach to keep mice under control. You'll never be rid of them.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:31 AM   #4

we have no mice cause our next door neighbor is feeding the feral cats and they are keeping most critters in check

2011 GMC Serria Ext Cab LB
2012 Jayflight 22FB
edowsfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:32 AM   #5

I have followed this approached, so far so good after 4 years:

-Seal every hole / entry point you can find on the camper. I use screens, expansion foam, aluminum tape...whatever works for that particular entry point.

-Remove any food that would attract critters (hence why I think putting baited traps inside the camper is silly...you're literally asking them to come in for lunch)

-Put lavender dryer sheets everywhere in the camper (I use half the box)

-moth balls on the ground under the camper (possibly unnecessary but since I can't prove it doesn't work, I'm going to continue...)

-2 outdoor cats that love chewing on critters

-Inspect the camper every other week while in storage to look for evidence the above aren't working

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:39 AM   #6

We always parked our pup at my mom's place in the country. Lots of mice around there, as is evidenced by her very contented cats.

Never had a mouse problem with the two steps we take. First, seal all openings, permanently with foam for utility holes, and with steel wool for vents and things that have to be reopened. Second, douse cotton balls with pure peppermint oil extract (not artificial), and scatter liberally through the trailer. Added benefit, your RV will smell like Christmas for the first couple of outings once you open her up (yup, this stuff is pretty persistent).

Since you also have a motor to worry about, there are a couple of good resources on the internet for things to do to the engine as well before long term storage. Mice love to nest inside the engine bay and can cause havoc with wiring and hoses.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:13 AM   #7

An elecronic hi-frequency device

Found a unit on Amazon with good reviews, keep it on when stored in living area, and of course traps and D-con in engine bay.
StevWb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:01 PM   #8

We have a creek and lots of brush behind our lot. Lots of mice. In the shed, which is near the rear of the property. In the lawn and snow equipment, which is in the shed (not fun taking them apart and removing dead mice). In our attached garage, which is about 60 feet from the back of the property. We've had mice get in the wall of the house that adjoins the garage.

We store the trailer next to the garage. Two in fact, mine and my dad's. It's a side-by-side house. In the 23 years that we've parked various trailers there we've never had mice in them.

We don't do anything special. We don't store food in them. There is only gravel under them, no grass, no brush or shrubs around them. No place for them to remain concealed while they are foraging around. And I think that's why we've never had mice.

It seems to me that everyone who gets mice has brush/grass/barns, etc. up against their trailers. Places where mice aren't exposed and feel safe exploring ways to get in the trailer.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 01:29 PM   #9

We keep our camper in a storage building that is essentially a barn in a rural setting. Last year when I put it away for the winter at the end of October, I bought a four-piece box of Fresh Cab and used all four.

I know it says it's only good for 30 days, but we didn't see the camper again until the first week in April and didn't have so much as one mouse turd.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevWb View Post
Found a unit on Amazon with good reviews, keep it on when stored in living area, and of course traps and D-con in engine bay.
We used to have a horrid mouse problem in the winter in Maine..every rodent wanted in.
we got ultrasonic device on Amazon and lo no mice last winter
We keep our TT plugged in.. with its own sonic device. Its at home.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:10 PM   #11

Ants

We don't have a mouse problem but the ants are real bad about getting into our travel trailer. I can find no entry points. I just keep spraying ortho home defense around the tongue and tires. It helps a little.
yardvarkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:07 PM   #12

We haven't used our TT in over 9 months since I was laid off from work (working now but at a much lower pay grade). I removed all food from the TT last winter and yet we still had mice in the TT over the winter and during the summer. I can see mice coming in during the winter for shelter but can't explain why they come in during the summer if there is no food source.

At any rate, I'm going to try the approach I learned when I briefly worked for a pest control company. We sealed all outside holes with copper mesh and mortar caulking. I have seen mice eat thru expanding foam so I avoid it now after using it for years. Seal the mice outside and use live traps for the ones left inside....at least that was the approach we did with stick and brick houses.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:00 PM   #13

I don't have a rodent problem now, but don't want to get one either. I am going to try an ultrasonic device. Kim Gass and StevWb can you both tell me the make/model you bought from Amazon? I would be very much appreciative!
Thanks,
Butch C
Butch C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:18 PM   #14

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i haven't tried other repellents so I can't say its the best. I can say in Maine mice move into the house come winter. My husband hates cats. This seems to be a good substitute cat and we have had it 11 months

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:10 AM   #15

I bought T3-R Mice Repeller at Amazon, nice compact unit, no mice in our 2015 Greyhawk for a year now, leave it on in storage with shore power 24/7....
Good reviews on Amazon.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:29 AM   #16

I went to Menard's and bought a couple gallons of Rodent stopper. Sprayed the whole underneath of the unit and around all the tires. Soaked cotton balls in the stopper and put them in every single drawer and cabinet. Resprayed around the tires once a month. It is stored inside a building. Not so much as a single mouse turd. The Rodent stopper has a nice minty smell.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 01:59 PM   #17

Get a snake.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:30 PM   #18

Rattlesnakes, right abarkl?
Butch C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:35 PM   #19

Of course. Nothing else will do.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:53 PM   #20

Once the snake gets all the mice, get a mongoose to take care of the snake [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote