Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-03-2014, 10:08 PM   #1

New 2014 Seneca 37FS Owner with some questions

Hello all. This is the first and last Seneca this dealer bought/sold so they didn't know much about the unit to give me a real walk through. So I have some questions and hope all you existing owners can help.

1) When do you use the engine block heater?
2) The outside stereo won't turn on. The TV turns on though.
3) Is there a way to keep the rear camera on when I'm towing my car?
4) The passenger-side slide worked on the lot, but when I got it home it didn't want to go out...no reaction to pressing the switch. I'm following the same sequence from my old Class C...engine running, E brake on to operate the slide.
5) Spare tire. Has anyone thought of mounting a spare underneath or do we just rely on roadside assistance? Having the spare rim/wheel makes it a lot easier one would think.

Thanks in advance all.
Shultz01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #2

I hope some of this will help:

1. I have not run into a situation where I had to use the engine block heater, though typically it is when the temperatures get below freezing to keep the fuel from gelling up on you.

2. The outside stereo might be wired wrong, you would either have to make a warranty call or take it out to see.

3. You can keep the rear camera on by hitting "menu" then scrolling over to "camera" on your head unit. You can then switch back to navigation or whatever by pressing the "nav/av" button just below the menu button.

4. There might be two things going on here...did you have your kill switch on? More than likely, though, it is in the wiring for the coach. I cannot do anything house related while the ignition is on. It was explained to me that it is a safety thing. Weird because my last coach had to have the ignition on to run the jacks, but my Seneca has to be off to use the jacks...don't know...maybe someone can help us both out.

5. A spare tire becomes at least two spares...the front tires do not fit on the back and vice versa, so if you are looking to run a spare, then you have to have a front set up and a dually set up which is more expensive than I feel like paying...roadside assistance is the way I go, and the DW and I have a tire insurance program...

There are also a few things you can do to help out while driving...the wife and I ran a 5 foot extension cord up through the opening on the side of the microwave and use magnet hooks to keep it out of the way. This allows us to unplug the micro and plug in the extension so we can have a crock pot going in the sink while we drive. Only two plugs are wired to run on the inverter, the micro and the cabover TV so it makes for an option while driving rather than run the generator.

Enjoy your coach!
Old 08-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #3

Go without the spare. Those 22.5 inch tires are heavy not to mention jacking the thing.
greyhawk885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:12 AM   #4

Thanks everybody.

I'm good on everything except the outside stereo.

It appears it was a loose wire. When I pulled it to check the connections the no power issue fixed itself. BUT...there's no sound when tuned to a local station. I even tested it with a different speaker. No sound. I can see the equalizer moving on the display, but nothing. It has video output to the TV, but no audio there either. Any suggestions.

I already sent a message to Jayco's warranty department.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #5

Hello, I have a 2014 37TS. Have you experienced any transmission noise? Sounds like a chirping noise while in OD!!
I also agree on the spare issue. No need for that much weight.
Thanks in advance!
cwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 11:12 AM   #6

cwasp the chirping sound has a fix. Freightliner has a service bulletin out on it, ask your FL people to find the shift cable isolator technical service bulletin.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #7

Schultz, stereos are pretty straight forward. Hopefully Jayco will help you out but it sounds like the speaker is not connected, further it sounds like the failed connection is at the speaker, not the rear of the head unit, or the head unit is bad. Sorry I could not be more help.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #8

Thanks RULazy2. I had that fix done, but the noise is still there, just quieter.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwasp View Post
Thanks RULazy2. I had that fix done, but the noise is still there, just quieter.
So is mine.....gonna do some mods of my own to see if I can totally
eliminate the noise.
Mr.Oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #10

Thanks Dan, I have taken to a couple of shops now and they all give me the deer in the headlights look. I think part of the problem is the freightliner shops typically deal with big trucks and not MH's.
Please let me know if you find out anything else. I'm gonna contact Jayco again and get them involved. I paid too much money to have to accept a default that they have known about for years!
Gene
Old 08-07-2014, 12:59 PM   #11

Been in the auto/truck repair business for 35yrs. 30 of those owning my own shop. Specializing in custom work, fabrication etc. That noise is annoying and have had similair noises in different vehicles over the years. Gonna see what I can come up with.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwasp View Post
Thanks Dan, I have taken to a couple of shops now and they all give me the deer in the headlights look. I think part of the problem is the freightliner shops typically deal with big trucks and not MH's.
Please let me know if you find out anything else. I'm gonna contact Jayco again and get them involved. I paid too much money to have to accept a default that they have known about for years!
Gene
It's a Freightliner service bulletin and the chassis is the standard M2 Business class so any dealer should be able to correct it. I agree in contacting Jayco, but the correction seems to be dealer dependent. Some get it right others don't.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It's a Freightliner service bulletin and the chassis is the standard M2 Business class so any dealer should be able to correct it. I agree in contacting Jayco, but the correction seems to be dealer dependent. Some get it right others don't.
Well just for the heck of it contacted Freightliner direct and was told they give no technical assistance. So called a dealer in Elkhart gave them my vin and was told NO active campaigns or recalls. No TSB's either....too bad. Grumpy, there must be a TSB.....can you get a copy?
Old 08-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #14

I wish I could give you the #, but I can't. I have seen comment after comment from the "new" SENECA owners about getting it corrected. Read post# 3 in this thread, apparently his dealer found it.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=21129

Forgot to ask, who did you talk to at JAYCO? I know they were involved in getting it resolved from day 1.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:17 PM   #15

I talked to Freightliner not Jayco. I have told Vinh Lee about it tho.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:18 PM   #16

The TSA is on NHTSA website. NHTSA ID # 10053493 SB-26-50
Components: Power Train
Old 08-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #17

I hate to break up all the talk about chirping, but the radio is defective. It wouldn't even work on different speaker I connected. I let Jayco know all this and they are sending a new head unit. I already have the defective one in the mail back to them.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:45 PM   #18

Dan, I spoke with Freightliner Custom Chassis Customer Service today. I found someone a last that has heard of the noisy linkage. We discussed him going to his engineering dept. and looking at a real fix and not a band aid. I expected to hear back from him today, but as of yet no call.
He also promised to call local shop and explain where the problem lies and help fix. I told him there were other owners out there with the same problem and we all are ready to file complaints. I'll let you know what and if anything happens!
Gene 2014 Seneca 37TS
Old 08-12-2014, 05:05 AM   #19

Got the new stereo from Jayco yesterday. I installed it last night after work. I soldered all the connection instead of using the quick connects Jayco uses.
It works perfectly now.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:51 PM   #20

First trip out with out Seneca 37FS and the passenger slide won't work

The fuse is good. The connects are all in the switch. The lights flicker when I presh the switch but nothing happens. This happened once before and after several attempts it went out. This time...nothing.

Any suggestions on what to check?