Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-14-2017, 08:28 AM   #1

New 2018 Seneca Gen start, Truma, cabinets?

Our 2018 Seneca is scheduled to be complete June 7 and, while we do not have a delivery date, we feel it should arrive at Orlando RV shortly thereafter. We are partially full timing in this truck, as we call it since it looks like a semi, and really cannot relinquish to a dealership for upgrades once we sell our current TT. Therefore, we want to ask Orlando RV (RV One) to do a few upgrades before we pick it up.

I would like to upgrade the Truma to the comfort to allow for freeze protection and diy descaling; has anyone done this yet?

I know that the new Seneca comes with an auto gen start, but as Rob will know, the earlier models has a gen start that would not start the gen during "sleep" hours your could set. I believe the old gen start would monitor the batteries and keep then as a safe charge. What would I need to add to a '18 Seneca to monitor the batteries and have the ability to set times when the gen starts like you could have in the '14, '15, '16 model years?

I know many of your have purchased your unit from Orlando RV; are there any tricks to watch out for when dealing with this dealership; we believe they have treated us fair and appropriate this far, but we have experienced little issues as you approach the end of the deal in the past.

I noticed the cabinets have changed in the '18; do you still like your new look if you received your 2018?

I need to sell my 2016 Keystone Sprinter 295RKS with residential refrigerator, 50 amp service, and a champion generator I purchased separate. Does anyone have an idea of what this would be worth; anyone know anyone around North Carolina who wants a TT?

We have learned much on the forum and look forward to the replies.
McGintys924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:17 PM   #2

I too am looking at updating the truma. So far the first quote I have gotten is around $550. 250 for the parts and three hours of install at 100 per hour. Seems like a waste. Since Jayco could have put the correct one in and it would have only been 100-200 increased cost. Would have at least been nice to have the option. Can not really address your other questions.

Great news on you new unit. My should be ready for delivery about the same time. What model and colors have you selected ? That wait is killer. I look at the ts online and see serial number just 6 less than my unit. So I must have just missed the last batch of 37ts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:43 PM   #3

Has Jayco stopped using the Cummins/Onan Energy Command 30 generator control station? What are they offering now?

I do use its auto start capabilities at times, and the ability to prevent automatic operation during "quiet time" certainly is handy when dry camping.

Here is a link to the EC-30 manual in case anyone needs to review its capabilities: https://power.cummins.com/sites/defa.../900-0541B.pdf
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:51 PM   #4

I don't recognize that unit so I really don't think that is the current unit that is offered.

Old 05-17-2017, 05:52 PM   #5

Rvermont: we chose antique ivory with glorious cream; would have gone with the last in stock '17 they had if it had the j-lounge which was a must for us with the extra storage underneath. Perhaps we will meet up there for delivery, or at least our trucks will see each other. I really need the freeze protection, therefore this truma upgrade i am forced to proceed with. How did your find out your VIN? Have your researched any good POI for your trip up the east coast?

Robby: you are the one I was waiting for to chime in here on the gen controls. Right now ('17/'18) there is just a switch which says auto gen start. I am trying to figure out what components I would need to make this one like they used to be (there is now an ec-50 which can do solar) and if this is a diy project or if I should add that to the list for them to do prior to delivery. I am not even sure they will do the work.

Been reading every Seneca post for the last year and feel very intimidated to get the truck, but we are very excited. Seems everyone has been received well with Orlando RV, which eases our concerns. It will be nice to work with some honorable RV salespeople. We have had our share of shady characters on this journey.

I still see myself walking onto the lot and the manager approaches and points to some diesel pusher he wants to show me. I reply "I'm not taking that," he turns and yells "Jr, come down here and show Jack Crews a tractor that's more to his like'n." Jr. points to the Seneca!
Old 05-17-2017, 06:18 PM   #6

I wrote a note to Brittany Ware at jayco and requested my vin. There are two vins. The chassis bin which will be 17 number and then there should be a jayco number. If it is a 2018 37ts. The number should be J1HB00xx. Mine is number 0078 j is the model year. 1 is the jayco plant HB is for the TS. And the last four is serial based on when it is built.

Living in Vermont certainly require me to do the Truma upgrade to a comfort from the basic.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:20 PM   #7

I was unaware they changed the generator controls, never looked that closely at the new ones at the RV shows.

I have no idea what capabilities the newer unit's control has, but one resource would be a Cummins Onan service facility. We had numerous Onan generators on our fire trucks, and in my dealings with them the technicians were always very helpful and competent. Hopefully that competency would apply to a facility near you! They would probably be the best entity to tell you whether your unit could be upgraded if that capability isn't somehow "buried" in what you have.

I'm interested in what you find out, please post back when you have more information.

No Overdrive cancel switch and no AGS with Quiet Time capabilities, what is Jayco thinking these days on their newest units?
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:35 PM   #8

Jeeze. Way to make me feel bad. The 2018 has a few great things. Garmin and truma. But then they take away other things such as slides painted, overdrive switch removed and the basic truma not the comfort. Oh well I guess I have a few mods coming up. I just wish Jayco would allow us to order options instead of what they decide.

I did locate a person in Virginia that will upgrade the truma and will use him if Albany rv can not do the change at a reasonable cost. I should know more by the weekend and will post that when I get a price.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
Jeeze. Way to make me feel bad. The 2018 has a few great things. Garmin and truma. But then they take away other things such as slides painted, overdrive switch removed and the basic truma not the comfort. Oh well I guess I have a few mods coming up. I just wish Jayco would allow us to order options instead of what they decide.

I did locate a person in Virginia that will upgrade the truma and will use him if Albany rv can not do the change at a reasonable cost. I should know more by the weekend and will post that when I get a price.

I think the overdrive with has been gone for a couple of years
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:32 PM   #10

Looking through our paperwork included in our owner's package, I found the info you may be looking for. If I read it correctly, you can program the AGS to start by a preset voltage, a preset temperature and can set it to avoid starting during quiet hours. Our 2018 Seneca 37TS has a Magnum Dimensions AGS, ME-AGS-S. The quiet time knob can be turned off or set to inhibit genset start during 5 pre-selected time periods.

Mr Bill
2018 37TS
Mr Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:20 PM   #11

Out of curiosity. Where is this unit located? This is not a normal operator interface? The operator interface with the tank levels and slide controls only shows simple switches for the generator . It this unit under the bed or in the generator compartment?

Old 06-01-2017, 03:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGintys924 View Post
Our 2018 Seneca is scheduled to be complete June 7 and, while we do not have a delivery date, we feel it should arrive at Orlando RV shortly thereafter. We are partially full timing in this truck, as we call it since it looks like a semi, and really cannot relinquish to a dealership for upgrades once we sell our current TT. Therefore, we want to ask Orlando RV (RV One) to do a few upgrades before we pick it up.

I would like to upgrade the Truma to the comfort to allow for freeze protection and diy descaling; has anyone done this yet?

I know that the new Seneca comes with an auto gen start, but as Rob will know, the earlier models has a gen start that would not start the gen during "sleep" hours your could set. I believe the old gen start would monitor the batteries and keep then as a safe charge. What would I need to add to a '18 Seneca to monitor the batteries and have the ability to set times when the gen starts like you could have in the '14, '15, '16 model years?

I know many of your have purchased your unit from Orlando RV; are there any tricks to watch out for when dealing with this dealership; we believe they have treated us fair and appropriate this far, but we have experienced little issues as you approach the end of the deal in the past.

I noticed the cabinets have changed in the '18; do you still like your new look if you received your 2018?

I need to sell my 2016 Keystone Sprinter 295RKS with residential refrigerator, 50 amp service, and a champion generator I purchased separate. Does anyone have an idea of what this would be worth; anyone know anyone around North Carolina who wants a TT?

We have learned much on the forum and look forward to the replies.
I just picked up my 2017 a month ago and it has the Magnum Dimensions ME-AGS-S Automatic Generator Start that includes a controller (mounted in the bathroom cabinet above the toilet) that allows you to set "Quiet Time". Are you sure this is not included in the 2018 Seneca?
Kar Kaddy SS
javamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #13

Ours is inside the vanity mirror to the left side of the bathroom sink, 37TS model. Sure hope this helps...

Mr Bill
Old 06-01-2017, 07:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
Ours is inside the vanity mirror to the left side of the bathroom sink, 37TS model. Sure hope this helps...

Mr Bill
Great info. Thanks. I am getting a 37ts as well so this will help. Now just to figure out the lack of freeze protection in the truma. The unit is so new the dealer is not a truma dealer so they can not get parts or do the upgrade.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:48 PM   #15

Would anyone with a '17, '18 be able to post a picture of the gen start where it is located. Like RVermont, we ordered a 37TS.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:33 PM   #16

Why in the world would they put the gen controls in the bathroom????? I was upset enough mine are out of reach from the driver's seat, but gheeze!!!

If I were king of Jayco, I would put the gen controls on the dash along with the ability to manage the hvac from the driver's seat...
Old 06-06-2017, 12:58 PM   #17

Sorry for any confusion. The normal genset start-stop switch is on the main control panel just inside the entry door. The programmable AGS system is inside the vanity mirror over the sink (in the 37TS floorplan) Hope this clarifies things. If pictures are still needed, let me get our back from the shop after we get the squawk list done following the 1st shakedown trip.

Mr Bill
2018 37TS
Old 06-09-2017, 06:38 PM   #18

Photo in bathroom vanity of controller.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:37 PM   #19

Thanks for the picture!! That is not the digital display unit the older Senecas had. Does this mean you picked up your unit?
Old 06-09-2017, 08:45 PM   #20

I got the call yesterday that it had arrived. I went and they took me to an off site lot that they keep the sold units at. They flipped me the keys and said I could pull it out and open the slide and then they left. I inspected as best I could. Turned on the generator and started the ac units. Only found a few minor issues. Completed paperwork and set up for delivery for next Saturday. So to nłhas answer your question. Not yet but soon.