Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #1

New Cover for Greyhawk 31FK

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0284.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	7311

Ok so I tried using a cover on our new 2012 Greyhawk, but as folks have warned, covers will rub the finish... what they didn't mention that it can also damage the caulking on the roof where the seams are! Nothing some polish and a good sunny day can't cure, but certainly more than I want to deal with.

Fortunately we found a barn that would fit the motorhome once we enlarged the door a bit, and the barn came with a house, so both the motorhome and family now have a new place to live.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Now that's a classy storage barn :-)

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #3

Now that is a very nice cover!

Do you think Campingworld should take back the custom cover I ordered and used once this year?

2011 Jayco 31FK, Ford, Class C
2009 Honda CRV - Toad
Blue Ox Tow Bar
Invisibrake
Outdoor Kitchen Mod
Bobsanchez44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #4

Probably not. Sell it on Craig's List. My RV man told me not to cover. Put in a shelter. Or if you can't do that. Have the roof checked annually.
I have a barn but it is not high enough to get my unit in.
Dave & Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsanchez44 View Post
Now that is a very nice cover!

Do you think Campingworld should take back the custom cover I ordered and used once this year?
I doubt it. I know I can't get anything back on mine... it's an expensive custom made job from CalMark, really a decent cover, and would probably be fine where the weather is milder, but here in Colorado with the wind on the storage lot where I had the Greyhawk parked, the cover rubbed the rubber handle to help you get into the camper smooth, and two of the lower grommets tore out. I was out weekly to tighten things up, but that wind and friction from the cover can do some serious damage. The other area I noticed today that took a beating on the coach was the clear bra on the hood and fenders, good thing it was there though, I would hate to see what it would have done to the paint otherwise.
It does have me wondering what I am going to do with all that nice fabric now though
Old 04-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #6

Very nice garage. Looks like a tight fit. DO you have to pull the mirrors in?

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:52 PM   #7

Hi thanks, yes it's a real tight fit, it's a 10 foot wide by 12 foot high door (I framed it at 11'7"), so mirrors have to come in to clear the door way, and the AC clears by about an inch and a half on top. I started another thread for suggestions on how to see the sides up high to make backing out without a spotter a little less of an adventure.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #8

I would want a spotter always. You're mostly blind backing up.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:31 PM   #9

So what I am hearing here is a cover is not recommended? I live in sunny So Cal.
Sadams11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:37 PM   #10

Well, I have never experienced the type of wind we get here, east of Denver, when I have been in So Cal, so a cover may work fine there, but my experience here was enough to show me that a cover can damage a motorhome more than the elements where lots of wind is involved. I'm glad I only had it covered for a little while, as I was able to polish out the rubbed areas. This was not a lose cover either, it was custom made with sunbrella fabric, and lashed down well, but where the seams were seemed to be the roughest on the motorhome. If anyone wants my cover to try in less extreme weather PM me and we can work something out, seems a shame to have it just sitting on the shelf.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #11

Cyclops, When you go you go all the way (haha!) Remind me to be careful if we ever play poker!! Congrats !!!!
Old 04-27-2014, 10:34 PM   #12

Just an update on how I solved my tight parking situation.

Ok after pulling the MH in and out of the barn all winter to run the engine and generator, I finally decided to do something to make it less of a challenge when my spotter isn't around.

I bought a small wireless monitor and a couple of wireless cameras with magnetic bases that I can stick on the front bumper.

I marked where the front tires sat on the pad inside the barn, measured from the wall and painted some nice white lines on the floor.

Now when my spotter isn't around I can use the cameras to line the front tires up on the parallel lines in the barn and drive right in, as long as I stay between the lines I have plenty of clearance on both sides.