Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #1

New Girard Tankless Water Heater for 2016

Greetings Campers,

Please see attached.

Best Regards,

Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Tankless.PNG  
critter210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #2

Nick, wonder if it will work at higher altitudes and low water pressure? Those were the 2 problems that I had. Looked for more info from Girard but nothing yet on their web site.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #3

Walt..I'm not sure only time will tell. I receive this update from Jayco, regarding some questions I had on Seneca.

Best Regards,

Nick
Old 09-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #4

I wouldn't mind trying this on my OFF-ROAD POPUP camper. All would have to work from the LP GAS and 12VDC battery for the water pressure pump.

Then I could rig up my 6-gal water heater for my hydronic type furnace routing hot water using a small thermostat controlled 12VDC water pump to two floor mounted AQUA HOT 100 heat exchangers.

Sure would be alot quieter than those loud Furnace Blowers we all have... Mine sounds like sitting in the rear seats of a MD-80 airplane.... GGGRRRRRRRR sound all night long.

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:11 AM   #5

Manufacturers like Jayco need stop stop cheaping out and putting the Girards in their products. The Girards have been out for several years and they still haven't got it right. The Precision Temp RV-500s cost more but they actually work and do so intuitively.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:33 AM   #6

I still have a problem understanding why I would want a tankless water heater. I like getting free hot water when hooked up to park power when I'm hosting which I do 7-8 month/year. Why should I burn my propane when I don't need to? My Suburban 10 or 12 gallon heater (I forget which) never runs out of hot water when on electric. I used to turn on both electric and propane at the same time when my exec was visiting and showering, but even with her love of hot water my Suburban keeps up fine on just electric.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:56 AM   #7

Many people like tankless water heaters because they can get continuous hot water for as long as they have access to unlimited water. Of course, the downside is more propane consumption.

They aren't for all people, such as boondockers and, as edatlanta mentioned, those who have free electricity.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:16 AM   #8

The Girard in my 2016 Seneca does not have a hinged door or an electronic control panel.
jestew3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:18 PM   #9

Straight from Jayco via email

"Nick,
There is a new version of the Girard Tankless water heater that will be coming out this fall. Once it is available we will start installing that, but I do not know timing yet."
Old 09-09-2015, 12:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter210 View Post
Straight from Jayco via email

"Nick,
There is a new version of the Girard Tankless water heater that will be coming out this fall. Once it is available we will start installing that, but I do not know timing yet."
When I asked them a week ago they responded with this.
Quote:
Girard has made some improvements on there water heater to be able to get an consistent flow of hot water.
Nothing about a new version but sounds more like tweaking on the old one.
They seem to be two different answers.
Up North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:05 PM   #11

I recently communicated directly with Kyle Johnston at Girard and asked him about the new heater. He explained that the new version incorporates flow and temperature sensors so it can better regulate the outlet water temperature. Doing so will also allow you to add cold water into the flow at the fixture, something not generally recommended with the current heater version(s).

Specifically I asked him whether the new unit would better serve those of us who boondock regularly and like to take "Navy" showers. The news was not all that encouraging. He stated that their tankless heaters (both new and old versions) are designed to function best with a constant flow of water start to finish, not cycling the flow on and off or reducing the flow to a mere trickle. Too low of a flow and it cannot reduce the flame enough to keep the water from being too hot, so instead it shuts off the burner and you get cold water filling the line until you resume sufficient flow. A regular tank-style heater is better at dealing with these operating consitions since reducing the flow to a trickle just allows a smaller amount of already heated water into the line. Turn it back on and (except for slight cooling in the lines) you immediately have hot water again. So it looks like my permanent solution is to retrofit a tank-style heater into my Seneca. That also will give me the option to electrically heat my water when plugged in at a campground. I miss that option too.

Kyle did offer me a great price to convert to the newer unit (new heater only, installation on me) telling me that the dimensions are very slightly larger, but he believes most cutouts have enough "wiggle room" that only slight massaging may be necessary. But he also said the water inlet and outlet are on the opposite side as compared to the older units, so plumbing will also have to be modified. And the door and attachment is completely different, so if you have a painted door (like I do) you will also have to factor in a paint job for the door if you want it to look "factory".

I had so hoped Kyle would tell me this would be the panacea for boondocking, but alas, it is not. But he was very honest and helpful, so I have to give him credit for that.

Anyone have any experience with a 10-gallon Atwood XT?
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:43 PM   #12

I wish Jayco and other RV manufacturers would quit cheaping out and install decent tankless water heaters, like the Precision Temp RV500 instead of the el cheapo Girards.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:08 PM   #13

Robbbyr, in the brief look I did at HW heaters the only one that fit the same footprint as the Girard was the 6 gal. Mine will be installed on return from trip but am a bit disappointed that the elect switch will be located in the outside compartment requiring removal of the cover panel each time you turn it on or off. I figure that's a pretty good way to get the paint bunged up.

A defect can be fixed but a bad design remains an irritant forever.

2019 Renegade Valencia 38RW
Gone: 2015 Jayco Seneca / 2010 Tiffin RED / ...
Toads: 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited / 2012 Kia Soul
WaltW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltW View Post
A defect can be fixed but a bad design remains an irritant forever.
Well said! That's the way I figured it when I had mine replaced with a six gallon Suburban DSI water heater. Consider investigating another installer if you're being told that the power switch has to be outside the rig with the water heater. Both my propane and electric switches were put inside my rig. I realize it's not a Seneca, but that shouldn't make any difference. I also chose which power line they could use that was close by. I chose the power feeding the inverter since I won't be using that line but very little.

BTW, the Suburban is the closest fit to the space. I would have liked an Atwood but the Suburban fit better.