Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #1

New Greyhawk 26DS owners

Howdy,

Wifey poo and myself just purchased a year hold over 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS about a month ago. We saw this model last year and fell in love with it almost instantly. Knowing it would just be the two of us for the most part as the kids are at the point that they dont like to hang with mom and dad so much. Perfect sized too, as it will fit in just about any spot at the campgrounds.

We have been out three times so far and its great. One trip was just the two of us to... umm.. check things out, yea, thats it. Then we took one of the kids. My folks came to visit so we are staying in it and giving them our room for the stay. We even took 4 adults and two grown teenagers along up to Denali national park, along with a Boxer, yappy dog, and small beagle. Plenty of room for the most part as we just cooked, ate, and slept in it.

One trip we did was with full hook ups, water and elec. I went to dump at the station when we exited as I didnt like the location of the stand pipe there. We wont be doing this type of camping much as I can camp in most every state park for free as a disabled vet (20 years Air force).

So, as with most new owners I do have some questions.
1. When sleeping in the back, and hooked up to shore power like we are currently I hear a slight whirring noise like a cooling fan. Seems to be coming from the bathroom. The only thing on is the hot water heater on elec. We dont even have the fridge on. We have a electric space heater in use but the noise isnt noticeable when that cycles on.

2. Exactly how far nose up or down can you be and the refrigerator work. I have it 6 blocks high in the front trying to get it a bit more level as my driveway is on a incline but it still doesnt like it. This is making it difficult to get the fridge cooled before a trip. So often I end up with a nice puddle in the freezer before its cold enough to keep the ice from freezing. Its not pitched down that much as Wife poo and myself are able to sleep no problem in it.

3. I understand the fresh water is supposed to be about 39 gallons but I am having a hard time believing it. It doesnt last nearly as long as the 33 gallons in my slide in did. Seems after about 4 showers the tank is dry. The outing we did with 6 warm bodies it was gone after 3 showers but that is two teenagers and my mother. Not being seasoned campers they were probably a bit more liberal than I am with the water. In my slide in the 33 gallons was enough for me to go camping for 2 weeks, take a few showers with it. I spent a month in that camper hunting, added about 8-10 gallons of water from buddies that were leaving and only had to empty my holding tanks. Probably took about a half dozen showers in it, and even Wifey poo when she came to visit.

4 When filling the fresh water tank I know to turn the water off when it starts to spill out of the tank. Does water spill out of the tank when I am going up and down hills, mountains, and valleys? Could this be where my problem with 2 is?

5 The water pump is pretty loud, I noticed it didnt have one screw in it, so I installed it as it was laying right there. Seems to have air in it from time to time. Quiets down after running water through all the faucets and shower. Is it loosing its prime and getting air into it when I cycle the valves to city fill?

6 Where exactly is this purple wire?

7 and of course I would love to know how to add another battery, why there is only one in the coach is beyond me, and a small one at that. I had toyed with the idea of puting solar panels on but dont spend much time in "direct sunlight" as we have more overcast days than not, and even try to find nice secluded spots to park in. I am sure many will say use LED's but the round lights that sit in the ceiling are regular house style plugs. You know, two prong $7 a pop kind (my house has a bunch of the same type just a bit larger)

8 Travel bars, use them or not? This is my first unit with a slide out.

I will say this, it really nice to have more than one storage cabinet and one drawer. I can actually bring stuff along and not have to keep moving it or putting it in the back seat of my Diesel. And a full size fridge, my coolers are going to get lonely.

Well, I look forward to hearing from you. We are taking it down to Homer Alaska for the weekend with the folks. Kids dont want to come.

Ciao

Chuck.
65Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Bowtie View Post
Howdy,

W
So, as with most new owners I do have some questions.
1. When sleeping in the back, and hooked up to shore power like we are currently I hear a slight whirring noise like a cooling fan.

It's probably your converter/charger. It has a cooling fan that is probably making the noise.

2. Exactly how far nose up or down can you be and the refrigerator works.

5 degrees is the number that I remember to be the critical one.

3. I understand the fresh water is supposed to be about 39 gallons but I am having a hard time believing it.

Including the water heater. That is part of the total

4 When filling the fresh water tank I know to turn the water off when it starts to spill out of the tank. Does water spill out of the tank when I am going up and down hills, mountains, and valleys? Could this be where my problem with 2 is?

YES. The overflow lines have been known to siphon water off when driving.

5 The water pump is pretty loud.

It's usually the fact that the pump is connected to the hard plastic lines which amplify the noise. There are hose kits available that may help, but it may be a pita to install them.

6 Where exactly is this purple wire?

It should be going into the rear of the receptacle that the front TV is plugged into. That is the one that is connected to the inverter.

7 and of course I would love to know how to add another battery.

Without seeing the exact set-up can't help you there.

8 Travel bars, use them or not? This is my first unit with a slide out.

JAYCO and the company who makes the slide out say yes. I never travel without using them. The extra seconds or minute it takes to install them is, in my opinion, is much better than a problem down the line. Others will totally disagree with me.

Well, I look forward to hearing from you. We are taking it down to Homer Alaska for the weekend with the folks. Kids dont want to come.

Love your state. just got back from a DISNEY cruise to Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. It was beautiful.
Ciao

Chuck.
Enjoy the new rig.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #3

Welcome to the Jayco owners forum and congrats on your new coach. I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years. Your travel situation is similar to ours. One difference with us was, when our 3 boys ages 23, 22 & 19 asked how many the coach slept we quickly told them TWO. And those TWO were US TWO. As far as answering your questions it seems to me that Grumpy covered everything pretty well. Being a newbie myself I can't add much fodder to the gristmill. But welcome anyway. Hope to see you around the campfire.

We would love to get your take on Homer as we plan to travel there in about 5 years after retirement. Ofcourse we all like pictures here also.