Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #1

New Greyhawk Owner

What will i need as far as power requirements at a campsite, 30 amp or 50 amp? Also, what is up wit the tankless WH? Are they really as bad as what I have been reading? I will be picking up my new Greyhawk Saturday and will be going on a 10 day trip at the end of June.
War Eagle 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:28 AM   #2

Looking through the online manual its 30amp.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:49 AM   #3

Its 30 amp.

The tankless works well if you're not boondocking and you take the time to understand how it actually works. If you're camping w/o hookups, its flat out awful.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:57 AM   #4

30 amp, be sure you buy an electric extension for your rig. More often than not, we aren't that close to the hookups and an electric extension is necessary. We have used the tankless water heater for almost a year now with really no issues (both with/without campsite hookup). Plenty of posts online about how to best use the system, but once you find the proper temp on thermostat vs water temp/pressure - leave it. Remember < water flow at faucet > temp.
2017 Ford Edge w/Blue Ox Setup
To Yosemite... and Beyond!
MrJackSprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:06 AM   #5

Congrats on the new rig! Good luck with the water heater. It's very temperamental and inconsistent, in my opinion. Hopefully you will be one of the few that are satisfied with it.

Cheers!
Colorado Springs, CO
JDSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:38 PM   #6

We have found that in using the unlimited hot water tank, it's best to "turn the switch on, set the hot water temp to your comfort on the hot water side only, and use just the hot water side in a shower". Otherwise you may end up scoulding yourself.

Don't forget a water line pressure control unit to keep the pressure under forty pounds just in case the campground pressure is too high. A simple electric testing unit, to make sure the electric service is correct. Carry some leveling blocks (small plastic blocks are light) to help level the stabilizers. I purchased a 50 amp to 30 amp dog bone just in case the need ever came up. Extra drinking water hose (you never know). A back-water preventer to deal with the black water tank spray unit.

Simple things that will keep you out of trouble. Congratulations on your purchase.
Toad - '16 Subaru Forester (Pearl White - manual transmission)
Blue Ox (everything) for the TOAD
Boudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:49 PM   #7

I forgot to mention. Make sure you have enough dump hose. Not all campgrounds have a dump right at the coach.

If you are like us, you will enjoy "Camp Driveway". We learned a lot about overnight camping without services (just one battery).

Heck, we are still learning .....
Old 05-17-2016, 01:50 PM   #8

Under 40? I keep mine around 50-52 and have never had any problems.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
Under 40? I keep mine around 50-52 and have never had any problems.
As I understand it .... Jayco builds their plumbing for a water pressure under 50 lbs.... That is what I was told by my dealer anyway .....!!!

Old 05-17-2016, 02:24 PM   #10

Congrats

Congrats on the new Greyhawk.

As others have mentioned you are definetly 30 amp. But campground posts have a couple of notorious issues. One is placement, state / provincial parks often require an extra 50 feet of extension (sometimes more) so make sure you buy an extra 30 amp cord.

Posts are also poorly wired or connected to systems with flaws so make sure you buy a surge protector to put between your rig and the post. There are some very good quality ones that mount permanently in the RV but for under a hundred bucks you can get one that plugs in between the cord and the post.

And finally as someone mentioned get a 30 amp to 50 amp dogbone for a couple of reasons. One there are sites out there which only have 50 amp service so you want to be prepared. But more importantly if you have 50 amp available I always choose it over the 30 amp connection. The reason being many 30 amp breakers at the posts are actually providing significantly less draw and during peak power consumption periods it is not unusual to pop the breaker at the post The 50 amp connection should always allow you do draw your maximum load.

Look forward to seeing you on the road!!!

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:01 PM   #11

Thanks everyone for the good comments and advice. While I am new to the Greyhawk 29MV I just purchased I have had travel trailers and pop ups before so I have most of the extra items each of you recommended. I will do what some of you said with regard to the water heater and hopefully the learning curve will be a short one. This forum has been very helpful and I am sure I will return with more questions and comments later.
War Eagle 1 is offline   Reply With Quote