Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-19-2015, 01:15 PM   #1

New To us Greyhawk 31FS

This is our 3rd Jayco and second Class C. We just traded in a very large 5th wheel on a 2011 Greyhawk 31FS with 6200 miles on it. You can't even tell it's used. The plastic screen protectors were still on the televisions. Since picking it up, I've changed the mattress, added a front hitch receiver, vent tops, porcelain toilet from the previous RV, rear stone guard, 2 stainless steel cup holders in the table and my Prodigy P3 brake controller. I still have to adjust the Hellwig helper springs this weekend as they are not adjusted properly and I may in the future add self leveling jacks to it.

The only issue I have with it is that when the radio is turned on, there is a lot of white noise coming from the speakers that does not seem to change with the volume. It is present even if the only thing going is the rear view cameras. Is this common to all units or do I have a bad ground somewhere? Hopefully there is a problem with a fairly simple solution someone can help me out with.

Thanks in advance.

Some obligatory pics.

Wertles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:42 PM   #2

Congrats on the purchase and welcome !

Nice looking unit !

Would love to see a photo or two of your upgrades (the cupholders and front hitch especially).

Which hitch assembly did you go with ?

We have a small amount of white noise but if it's much more than a small amount I'd certainly look into a bad ground.

If your Greyhawk treats you anywhere near as well as ours has so far you will love it !

Visited in our 2011 Greyhawk 31DS
busguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #3

We also bought a new to us 2011 Greyhawk 31fs a couple of months ago. We basically brought it home covered it and are now waiting for spring. You sound like you've been busy with yours. I'm jealous! I'm just wondering what you are going to use the front hitch for. My husband had talked about putting on on our old rv to hold two bikes but we ended up using a ladder bike rack from two of the kids bikes.

Lisa
Old 02-19-2015, 05:42 PM   #4

Congrats! We're looking forward to our first trip in our 31fs in 2 weeks. The noise from the speakers is more than likely a bad ground. See if you can hear it in one or all speakers. If its only one speaker, take it out and check the connections. If its all, pull the head unit and check the spaghetti mess of wires back there. Also, see if the static increases with engine rpm's. That ones a little harder to fix.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:04 PM   #5

Congrats on this new rig. I pick mine up in about a week, according to the dealer. I agree with kurv, if the volume doesn't adjust, I've found that to be a ground issue.
2014 Jayco Jay Feather X23B-"Glampy"(Sold)
DW, DS, DDx2, and Bandit & Fletcher
Bikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:41 PM   #6
WDW

Congrats! I could tell from your picture you were in Chili before I read that you are from Richester! I just order the cup holders fro Amazon too!

Formerly 31FK 15 Grayhawk
Toad: 2015 Jeep Cherokee "The Caboose".

Taking in the sights wherever my Trolley takes me!
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:05 PM   #7

Thanks all. The speaker noise is constant even with the motor off so and it's from all speakers so I will be looking into the vomitus mass of wires to see if I can find the ground.

The hitch is a Draw Tite that I ordered from Amazon. It took me about an hour and a half to install it myself. I took my time and removed the bumper to make it easier.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The cup holders I also got from amazon. Careful measurement and a large hole saw had these in in about 15 minutes including clean up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought a 7/8" a ratcheting combo wrench tonight to adjust the suspension but I forgot to pick up the deep well socket to loosen the locking nuts. Oh well, I need something to do on Saturday. I leave Wednesday for Atlanta for NASCAR next weekend.

WDW, was it the Camping World pic that gave it away?
Old 02-20-2015, 10:00 AM   #8

If this was purchased from a Jayco dealer perhaps they should resolve your white noise problems and properly adjust the Helvig springs for you. Just wondering.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:19 AM   #9

I bought it from a non Jayco dealer as is. They took it in on trade and sold it way below what the local Jayco dealer was selling a Redhawk with more miles on it. No warranty. I usually do all my own work (and enjoy it) so I turned down their $4000 extended warranty.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:12 PM   #10

Well that was a good trade. Nice low mileage for a 2011. It certainly does look like new. Good luck.
Oklahoma Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:31 PM   #11

Under the drivers side entry step (black plastic insert) you will find the speaker module for the rear speakers. Nice place to put something. Should you step on it you risk crushing some part of the module. This could cause that static. Also look for wires that got caught under the drivers seat when they installed it. Mine were pinched under it causing static.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote