Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2017, 02:29 PM   #1

Newbie Question RE: AC units

Hey y'all! I am brand new here and have done some research but am seeing conflicting answers. We are looking at a Greyhawk 31FS but have a question about the 2 AC units. Are you able to run BOTH units at the same time? I know it is a 30 amp unit and one dealer is telling us yes and another dealer is telling us no. Sigh. Fun times, huh? We live in Florida and travel primarily in the South where we need both ACs. I look forward to learning so much for everyone here if we decide this is the model for us!
MountainSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:48 PM   #2

You will need 50 amp service to run two ACs. The dealer who said yes should not be trusted for any valid answers.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainSea View Post
Hey y'all! I am brand new here and have done some research but am seeing conflicting answers. We are looking at a Greyhawk 31FS but have a question about the 2 AC units. Are you able to run BOTH units at the same time? I know it is a 30 amp unit and one dealer is telling us yes and another dealer is telling us no. Sigh. Fun times, huh? We live in Florida and travel primarily in the South where we need both ACs. I look forward to learning so much for everyone here if we decide this is the model for us!

Ask Jayco Customer Service. They should be able to answer your question straight forward !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gprapim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
Site Team

It looks like the specs on the new ones show 2- 11,000 btu units and a 4K generator.
I am not familiar with class C's so I can't say if both will run on a 30a connection but it will be close.

Maybe someone with one will chime in.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 03:08 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I can run one 13,000 BTU A/C on a 15amp circuit, so I would say you should be able to run both 11,000 BTU on single 30amp with a little left over for lights.

Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 03:14 PM   #6

Two ACs on a 30 amp circuit is really pushing it. It certainly won't start both at the same time and you can run nothing else with those ACs going. You may be able to run the fridge at the same time, but it's questionable. You certainly couldn't run the water heater or microwave at the same time. All bets are off if your battery is low and the converter is trying to charge the battery.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:06 PM   #7

Could you or should you should probably be the question here. Too close to max draw for my comfort level.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:18 PM   #8

The "old" answer is no but that was with the 1 15k and 1 13.5k units. The Greyhawks now have 2 11k units with an energy management system that will help balance things out. Call Jayco customer service directly and get the for certain answer. With both units on you will be limited to what else you can run though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2019 Open Range 310BHS - (a Jayco Division)
drk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:32 PM   #9

9.9 Amps

Not sure what model you have but looking at on line sources, the Coleman Mach 1 11,000 BTU A/C draws 9.9 amps at Max Cooling. 15.6 amps at Max heating.

So I would think you are able to run them both safely, at least for cooling... If not why build the unit that way??? You would be better off to run one 15,000 BTU unit. The water heater would be my one big concern. But I suspect your unit has the Tankless water heater with propane as the heat source so that should eliminate that problem.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:38 PM   #10

Thank each of you for taking time to reply. I have a message into Jayco customer service but knew I wouldn't hear back from them today, so you were the next best thing. I will come back and update this thread in with their response so that others who are searching can see.

(And I agreed that I wouldn't think they would make the 2 air units an option if they couldn't both be run at the same time, but I am not very well versed in electricity, so who knows!! )
Old 06-05-2017, 02:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
You would be better off to run one 15,000 BTU unit.
We're in a '16 31FK with one 15K Coleman unit and we bake in the summer sun. It's absolutely awful inside. High 90's.

I was in a 29W (? I think) yesterday with the two AC units and while it looks like the 11K unit would keep the bedroom cold, I can't help but wonder if the poor 11K unit for the main part of the coach would be darn right useless...
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
We're in a '16 31FK with one 15K Coleman unit and we bake in the summer sun. It's absolutely awful inside. High 90's.

I was in a 29W (? I think) yesterday with the two AC units and while it looks like the 11K unit would keep the bedroom cold, I can't help but wonder if the poor 11K unit for the main part of the coach would be darn right useless...
Your one unit is trying to cool the entire coach. The 2 a/c system is 7,000 BTU's higher (50% increase in cooling capacity)
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Your one unit is trying to cool the entire coach. The 2 a/c system is 7,000 BTU's higher (50% increase in cooling capacity)
Yep - I get that - but in the 29W the bedroom looked really cut off from the coach.

Still - what's apparent is that one 15K unit ain't cutting it for us....
Old 06-05-2017, 03:28 PM   #14

I Concur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post

I concur that the one 15K unit does not cut it on the Greyhawks... My point was why then put 11K units in two rooms if you can only run one at a time as the OP is concerned about since clearly a single 11k Unit would be all but useless. As Grumpy noted with two 11k units you now get 22000 BTU's assuming they can be run concurrently. So overall there is significantly more cooling power. And remember that 15K unit was battling loss of efficiency due to ducting travelling through a hot roof all the way back to the bedroom. I would think with the two 11K units there is significantly less, if any, ducting leading to a further increase in performance.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
two 11k units you now get 22000 BTU's assuming they can be run concurrently. So overall there is significantly more cooling power. And remember that 15K unit was battling loss of efficiency due to ducting travelling through a hot roof all the way back to the bedroom. I would think with the two 11K units there is significantly less, if any, ducting leading to a further increase in performance.
As was mentioned it includes a power management system so they will run together. The power management won't allow both compressors to start at the same time, thus avoiding a high amp surge.

And you just beat me to the reason why they will cool better. We have 2 15's in our 38FLSA and the bedroom is definitely cut off from the rest of the FW(only connection is the 24" doorway), but the ducting balances it out and we have no trouble in direct sun in FL.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:24 PM   #16

Ah - gotcha!
thanks
Old 06-06-2017, 01:56 PM   #17

We just took our Greyhawk 29MV out for it's first outing in Fl and ran both 11,000 btu a/c's - 30amps with no issues. Both units are attached to all vents through out but you can cut off the vents and have each unit put out directly from the a/c's. We were looking at another Greyhawk before we purchased that only had 1 13,500 btu but that dealer advised they could install another but that would have required hooking both up to a 50amp circuit. But so far our 2 - 11,000 btu's froze us out, even in the florida hot weather.
DGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGilbert View Post
We just took our Greyhawk 29MV out for it's first outing in Fl and ran both 11,000 btu a/c's - 30amps with no issues. Both units are attached to all vents through out but you can cut off the vents and have each unit put out directly from the a/c's. We were looking at another Greyhawk before we purchased that only had 1 13,500 btu but that dealer advised they could install another but that would have required hooking both up to a 50amp circuit. But so far our 2 - 11,000 btu's froze us out, even in the florida hot weather.
Perfect! This is what I was hoping to hear! Thank you!
Old 06-09-2017, 08:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
Two ACs on a 30 amp circuit is really pushing it. It certainly won't start both at the same time and you can run nothing else with those ACs going. You may be able to run the fridge at the same time, but it's questionable. You certainly couldn't run the water heater or microwave at the same time. All bets are off if your battery is low and the converter is trying to charge the battery.
THE CORRECT ANSWER ^ ^ ^

Been there... tried that... did not work well - worked in weather in the 80's... it it is hot - forget staying cool.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote