Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-27-2017, 05:53 PM   #1

Newest mod. Flush stove top.

I don't recommend this mod to anyone that is just average in the world of DIY. It's not very forgiving if some thing gets cut wrong. My wife has complained about the metal cover on our stove/oven since we bought the camper. Our old pop up had a nice cover made out of glass that was semi flush with the counter top. Once I tracked one down it was just a lot of cutting and measuring. I believe some of the newer Jayco have these tops on them. Ours is a 2012 Greyhawk 31FS. All comments are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4331.jpg   IMG_4329.jpg   IMG_4330.jpg   IMG_4332.jpg  
Old 03-27-2017, 06:59 PM   #2

Looks great!
Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:46 PM   #3

Very nice job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:59 PM   #4

Stove top

Depends on the application I guess - and understanding most RVers don't employ this unusual app; it will be anomalous but may be a consideration. Many of us (when I was in Alaska) used our campers while on AK rivers, to process and can salmon. This evolution required an extremely sturdy stove base on which to set a large, heavy pressure cooker. Looking around for something like a "glass" top, we were soon disabused of the notion a glass-topped stove top would be sufficiently strong to support a very heavy canning pressure cooker (16-24 1/2 pint full cans). As stated before, it isn't your normal cooking; however, anything comparable to any weight I described may not be advisable when thinking about a glass range top.
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF1963 View Post
Depends on the application I guess - and understanding most RVers don't employ this unusual app; it will be anomalous but may be a consideration. Many of us (when I was in Alaska) used our campers while on AK rivers, to process and can salmon. This evolution required an extremely sturdy stove base on which to set a large, heavy pressure cooker. Looking around for something like a "glass" top, we were soon disabused of the notion a glass-topped stove top would be sufficiently strong to support a very heavy canning pressure cooker (16-24 1/2 pint full cans). As stated before, it isn't your normal cooking; however, anything comparable to any weight I described may not be advisable when thinking about a glass range top.
Jeff, the cooking stove top is not glass, it is only a cover that is glass, providing a flat surface for other jobs when you are not using the stove top. Kind of like an extended countertop. Once you open it, you have standard gas stovetop with grates to cook on. The glass cover folds in half and serves as a grease/splash guard for the back wall.
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wygantmb View Post
I don't recommend this mod to anyone that is just average in the world of DIY. It's not very forgiving if some thing gets cut wrong. My wife has complained about the metal cover on our stove/oven since we bought the camper. Our old pop up had a nice cover made out of glass that was semi flush with the counter top. Once I tracked one down it was just a lot of cutting and measuring. I believe some of the newer Jayco have these tops on them. Ours is a 2012 Greyhawk 31FS. All comments are welcome.
Great job! I wish mine had the flat top stove also. Ours is a 2016 Greyhawk. You would think that Jayco would put them in their RV's, as most of their TT's have them. Wonder why they dont?
sewingcybermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:19 PM   #7

My bad - guess I misunderstood what was depicted. Nevertheless, what I postulated is still valid. TX for informing me.
JEFF1963 is offline   Reply With Quote