Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #1

No Heat in New-to-Me '06 Greyhawk 31SS

Since we bought our motorhome a little over a month ago, I haven't had plans to take it out. Still trying to figure out some of the issues that are new to me, a former travel trailer owner. My son loaded up his wife and their blended family of five teen-aged kids and headed to South Florida right after Christmas. They stayed in the In-Laws house while there, so heat wasn't a consideration until he started home and spent the night in a truck stop in north Alabama. It got cold that night; enough to wake him up around 2:00 a.m. He couldn't get the furnace to produce any heat. With the generator running, he set the thermostat and the fan came on (I think) but no heat. He tried every switch he could find and fiddled around with no effect. He confirmed that propane was available by lighting the stove top (and turned it off). Eventually, he gave up and started the engine to get some heat from up front. He called me after he got home to report on the trip and asked me about it. I had no answer. I never had a problem with the furnace in the trailer. In fact, I rarely used it since we did most of our camping in warmer weather. So, Jayco friends, WHAT IS THE FURNACE START-UP PROCEDURE? I've heard about spiders and their love of propane odor. Any input is appreciated.
Widewader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:21 PM   #2

Nothing specific that I know of.

Sounds like it needs to be checked. Did the fan stay on?

In mine there is an automatic igniter, not sure about an 06.

2012 Greyhawk 31 FK
Flat towing a 2008 Miata.
reitrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:45 AM   #3

Try the trouble shooting section of the furnace owners manual (not the Jayco manual). And the manufacturers website and customer service number as well. They can help you diagnose and often repair your furnace. If it's something more complicated, replacing an 8 year old furnace is an option to consider.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #4

Maybe something is not aligned correctly in the sparker?
Old 01-06-2014, 03:24 PM   #5

Air in the line? bug nest, spider web, dirt dauber nest in furnace guts?
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:35 PM   #6

Occasionally I had problems with the furnace in my 04 Jayco JayFlight. It was always bugs in the intake or exhaust. Not hard to solve just annoying. I used compressed air to blast everything out then it worked fine. You should hear the clicking of the igniter if you don't then that is the problem. BTW the stove may work with a low propane level but the furnace will not. I assume that this unit has separate propane heater and AC controls if it does there may be a tiny switch on the side of the thermostat that needs to be pushed toward the center of the thermostat for it to work. If you have a digital thermostat then you won't have that switch.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #7

We have a '05 Greyhawk 31SS we bought a month ago. The heater is integrated in the a/c unit on mine and is controlled by a electric hand controller. You have to point the controller directly at the unit in the ceiling for it to work (best is to stand under the thing). There is an "emergency" heat button on the roof unit that you can press that should turn it on no matter what. And mine is electronic ignition. Frustrating controller though.

Mark
HeliMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:49 PM   #8

Also mine has a thermostat in the bedroom. Haven't figured out how it works in the system yet. It seems to be disconnected. Haven't had time to really check it out yet.

Mark
Old 01-09-2014, 05:58 AM   #9

@ Helimark, the one in the bedroom is probably for the vent fan.
TX_Arvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:59 PM   #10

Thanks for that TX_Arvee. That will give me a starting point, as I turned it on and nothing happened. But I thought it was for the heater, not the fan.

Mark
Old 02-07-2014, 07:44 AM   #11

I bought a used 2006 Greyhawk GS last May. I used it for a hunting trip fro October. Thru end of Dec. Had problems with getting heat out of the vents. Checked to make sure everything was running properly. While looking at the vents, I noticed there was a layer of something similar to furnace filter fabric installed below the metal vent covers. I removed these and had full flow of heat coming from vents. I am thinking that the gauze type fabric was meant to keep debris from getting into the duct work by dealership. Once removed there was plenty of heat.
Prior to removing the filter type material, I could feel heat trying to come out of vents, but it was very restricted.
Is it essential to have the vents filtered in this manner? I don't know, but I needed the heat as temps were typically at freezing and we'll below.
steelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:12 AM   #12

We (dealership) will sometimes put a gauze material over (and sometimes under) the vents to keep any debris out while we are performing maintenance. Sounds like the techs just forgot to take them back off. There is no need to keep the vents filtered, at least I don't in my camper, but I vac them out twice a year too.

John
John LLRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:55 AM   #13

I have seen where owners also do that to keep debris out even though it is not a good idea. I do the same as John and just vac out a couple times a year, as you found out it will restrict the air flow and the furnace will not opetrate properly.