Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2016, 07:20 PM   #11
At what mileage do you change your oil. My Cummins ISB manual says 3 different mileages. 8k for severe service, 10k for normal and 14k for RV service. 14k seems like a lot. Course I'm from the old school 3k for cars. But I know they go for 7k now with better oil and filters. 14k still seems like a long time. I'm thinking once a year no mater the miles. ???

Buddy Brown

2016 Seneca HJ
2004 Wrangler
Mountain Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:24 PM   #12
I do my Cummins every 6 months regardless of mileage. I've had my Cummins since December '14. I'll have my 3rd oil change done this month and I have 11,021 miles on my TV.

'14 Ram 2500 MC CTD
'14 287BHBE (gone)
'16 North Point 377BHRL (current and hopefully last)
Bookemdanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:50 PM   #13
I change my Duramax oil (RV) once a year regardless of mileage.

My Dodge pick up I do 10K, I use syntheic and factory filters in both.

Over the road fleets will run up to 50k with filter changes at 10k intervals, replacing only the oil lost in the filter.

2008 Seneca 35TM
2011 CVO Ultra Classic
2014 Fatbob
Cactusogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 12:12 AM   #14
I spoke with a mechanic at a local diesel repair shop and he suggested every 7000 miles or once a year.
bianco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:39 AM   #15
Our 2015 Seneca 36FK hit the 10k mile mark. the manual says it needs it's first service at that mileage... I asked a good friend who is a Service manager over fleet operations for a huge construction / trucking company - he says they charge $310 for heavy equipment and trucks. He said to call Freightliner to get their cost.

So - I called Freightliner of Utah (Warner Truck Centers) - They told me that because the Seneca is on the M2 chassis, we don't have to make our appointments as a Motorhome (they treat it as a fleet Truck) and we can just drop in anytime for a 2-hour express service. That's exactly what I did and they did everything - all of the filters, oil, coolant, inspection, scanned for recalls, Chassis Lube, Coolant test, Oil test... I mean everything... for $206.00 out the door.
SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:00 PM   #16
For a less messy oil change I would recommend a fluid extractor like this.

You put a tube down the dip stick tube and pump the handle a couple of times. It automatically shuts off when full so you will need to empty at least once in the middle of your oil change with a typical deisel engine. To empty it just put the tube into an empty container flip a switch and pump the handle a couple more times. After my first time I used it I pulled the drain plug to see how much was left and about an ounce came out. Most deisel are easy to get to the drain plug but I didn't have a container large enough to drain into. That is where this comes in handy and also cars with all the pans and guards underneath that need to be removed for access or cars low to ground.

Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote